Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SamOlson
We still have cows on feed and I needed to get farming so mom said she'd help dad roll out a few bales.

Sweet, I had the tractor fired up and ready to go by 7:30.

Notice a low tire on the toolbar so I pull it over to the pickup. Tire rolls and loses its bead, fuuck, whatever.

First pull on the air compressor and the pull cord assembly goes to hell. Great.

Take a short piece of ropes and wind it up on the 'flywheel' and she starts right up. Take a ratchet strap and run it around the tire and she takes air...sweet.

About this time dad pulls up and has that look on his face... Ahhh chit.

Good old cow is down trying to calve and something isn't right.

There goes farming.

I go back down to the cows and sure enough, backwards calf, smells bad, I can't push it back in whatsoever so I shot the cow...damn it she was a nice old cow, #804...

Of course my plastic sleeve glove ripped and I had a nice soaking of nasty juice.

See where we are going here?

Now it's about 11:30 and I get the tractor going.

First pass around the field I notice an old railroad tie about 100' out in the field. Figured some dumbass had tossed it out last fall and I'd grab it on the next pass.

Should have been paying better attention because I notice that the railroad tie is now dragging about 50' behind the toolbar. Sonuvabitch it was part of an old fence!

And of course it got caught up and wrapped around 4 of the spindles on the toolbar. We are talking a 4 wire barbwire fence here and I now have about 40' of it wrapped tighter than chit around the wheels/spindles and all over the place. Pickup is a mile away, all I had was my Leatherman.

All you can do is just start laughing. My poor Leatherman has seen better days.

I think you have the makings of a Corb Lund song!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DpDY6bWT5oTM&ved=2ahUKEwi35oaXjLXpAhUQs54KHbXGCFYQ3ywwBHoECBAQHA&usg=AOvVaw1gOlqrENMCPLjeDXqFQU3J

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Sam, you should talk to the fellow I worked for when I was in high school. Sounds a lot like the sort of situations that I would manage to create.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kellywk
I can relate. Wife has an old old wood tool box that she uses for a blanket chest. Top is a single plank about 30” wide that broke right down the middle. Had it all clamped up to glue back together tonight and couldn’t get it to line up with less than a 1/4 inch gap as it was so warped. Mixed up some epoxy, died it black and started fileting in the gap when i knocked the whole container over. Wet epoxy all over my hands which wasn’t bad until 30 minutes later I realized I’ve got a bad habit of running my fingers through my hair when I’m thinking

Chevy Chase as Clark Griswold in Christmas Vacation after he had placed the Christmas tree in the house. He couldn't get the sap off and his hands stuck to everything. Hilarious movie.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Sam,
When a day starts out snakebit like that there just isn’t much you can do to change it. Here’s hoping for a better day tomorrow!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sometimes you need a really bad day so that the days that are just regular bad don't seem so bad.

Its a good thing that farming/ranching is a way of life, 'cause if it was just a job you'd be tempted to quit.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The rest of the day I was literally wondering what other weird chit was gonna happen.

Jinxed bad.

Some of those days you just want to find a dark room and close the door until it's over.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got a cattle panel wrapped up in a brush hog one time. Started out with wire cutters, but ended up using an angle grinder with a metal cutting blade. Worked a lot better. Still a mess, but better. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Sam, Moore Maker puts out small fence pliers ~ 9" long, instead of 12" +.
They carry well, and work well for smaller jobs.

yeah....
[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]

Last edited by huntsman22; 05/15/20.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I missed this last night, early to bed, early to rise.

Most of have been though that kind of day, and survived it.

We don't have to punch a time clock, or work in a packing house, or an assembly line.

I have a thousand stories I could tell. Not enough time now.

I like to carry a end nipper wire cutters in tractors, and the combine, I can get too close to a fence, and rip a wire off, and have to cut free.

Chris tells it like this.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I just get antsy and extra whiny this time of year.

Drives me nuts that my farmer buddies have been going full throttle for weeks and I haven't planted a single acre yet.

Getting behind with work is annoying and incredibly frustrating.

Dwayne, I felt like such an idiot after the fence mess. Guess I better start carrying a fencing pliers in the tractor!

That Leatherman is a tough little sonuvabitch.

Hahaha! Dont feel too bad.

I was combining and couldn't get any seed in the ground.

Why didn't you just run the combine backwards?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I figure when things keep going right for too long it's really just a setup for stuff to go way far south in a real hurry.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
In his book, The Power of Positive Thinking, Doctor Norman Vincent Peal said airplanes need some tuberlance to fly well.
Most people need some trouble in life to function well.

Perhaps if I did not try to fly so high I'd need less!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I just get antsy and extra whiny this time of year.

Drives me nuts that my farmer buddies have been going full throttle for weeks and I haven't planted a single acre yet.

Getting behind with work is annoying and incredibly frustrating.

Dwayne, I felt like such an idiot after the fence mess. Guess I better start carrying a fencing pliers in the tractor!

That Leatherman is a tough little sonuvabitch.

Yessir!

I carry a pair of dikes and lineman pliers in each tractor. (I've had days like you had.)

Might be easier if I had a pair of dykes to untangle and cut through the wire rat nest though... laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
A young fellow, later in life to be know as "Crazy Horse", was hired to mow a thistle patch after the weed commissioner got after the famer. Wayne is mowing the pastor, he looks back, and this old roll of wire is getting closer to the tractor.

So Wayne is lying under the flail mower on the cut short thistles, trying cut the wire with an old dull pair of plyers. laugh

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
If you can use pliers to untangle and cut the wire.....you weren't really tangled up.

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I've used a cutting torch at times.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have some compound action wire cutters that I bought a few years ago when taking down lots of fence.

Man! They are great for cutting through lots of wire easily. Less than half the effort.

https://www.amazon.com/Apex-Tool-Gr...DDP6E/ref=psdc_553322_t3_B006FAN49S?th=1

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
If you can use pliers to untangle and cut the wire.....you weren't really tangled up.

Was putting in a food plot with my 6' rotary tiller when I found a good sized roll of barb wire a fencing crew had dropped in the middle of the area to be planted. eek

It killed the tractor after it got to maximum rat nest... whistle

All I had was a pair of lineman pliers.

About 3 hours, lots of cussin' and sweatin', bleedin', on a 100 degree day.... I was back in business.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Sam,

If I told you once, I told you 100X's.

Staying inside alleviates all of these problems.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[
Originally Posted by KFWA
I remember working the farm one summer and a calf was stillborn ...I guess you'd say that - lifeless on the ground.

My FIL who owned the farm picks the calf up, grabs it by the hind quarters and spins around in a circle. Does that a few times and calf shows signs of life, he throws it in the truck and takes it back to the house.

That was the damnest thing to see

When my mother was born, the doctor just set her aside as stillborn to tend to my grandmother. My grandfather picked the "dead" baby up and whacked her on the ass.

They tell me it worked.

Last edited by Pappy348; 05/15/20.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,537
Posts18,491,415
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.