Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I think Penneys just did not keep up with the times.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Let us hope that the NY Times keep up with JC Penney.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It’s been coming for a long time.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Tealblue
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Wore a lot of JCP clothing as a kid. One of my mother's preferred places to shop. Last couple shirts my wife purchased from them 30 years ago started unraveling and coming apart after 2nd or 3rd washing. Have not purchased anything from them since. Feel sorry for the working class folks losing their jobs. However, will not miss JCP...

For all the people saying the executives "deserve" the exorbitant retention bonuses for staying with a sinking ship... How about paying all of the hourly workers and admin staff the same prorata share of THEIR annual salary for a severance package ?

Orion,
You know the people who do the actual work and make the ship
go mean nothing. It's the Captain and the Pilot who ran the [bleep]
aground that are important. And deserve a golden parachute.

When she dies for good, the janitor and stock boy will be left with
rubber paychecks.

I laugh at the stuff I see where people say they will never look at
service employees the same after the Kungflu.

Bullcrap.
If you walked around 6 months ago, nose in the air looking down on those
people, it was about you, not them.

And corona isn't going to change your flawed, arrogant ash.

I don't think anyone I know ever looked down on the person in that role. They just never believed that putting cans on a shelf, folded towels/pants/shirt on a table or changed the price on the pool noodles in Sporting Goods is exactly a "high skill" and worthy of 30 bucks an hour, a bronze statue and your face on a stamp.

Anybody who works in a position where they have to deal with John Q public deserves respect and a good wage. John Q Public is a GIANT flaming ass hole and a HUGE PITA to serve.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I like Penneys. Walking thru their stores, they have too much dead inventory. They need better buyers.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
They were on that way a long time ago. Bad leadership and decisions for years.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jerrys
I like Penneys. Walking thru their stores, they have too much dead inventory. They need better buyers.

Pretty much endemic for many brick and mortar stores.

Sears, JCP, any others that compete with Walmart and Amazon are destined for the junk heap.

Whole Foods and Sprouts have put the kabosh on GNC, it appears.

Target better get their act together to compete or they’re not long for the commercial world.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

https://companyblog.jcpnewsroom.com...e-company-is-positioning-for-the-future/

JCPenney’s CEO Explains How the Company is Positioning for the Future

by JCPenney Company on May 15, 2020 in Company Initiatives, Corporate

RSS
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
LINKEDIN
Instagram

Dear Valued JCPenney Customer,

I want to thank you for your continued loyalty to JCPenney as we navigate the unprecedented challenges brought on by the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. As you well know, the pandemic has changed day-to-day life and created a profoundly different reality.

Retailers have been hit especially hard by this economic environment, impacting our Company’s ability to meet financial and operational objectives. That is why JCPenney has chosen to pursue a financial restructuring.

We believe this process will give us the financial strength to weather the pandemic and evolve our business while also reducing our debt and increasing our flexibility to better position JCPenney for the future. This will allow us to better serve you, our valued customer.

I want to assure you: JCPenney is NOT going out of business. JCPenney will continue to be one of the nation’s largest apparel and home retailers. Our expansive footprint will still include hundreds of stores across the U.S. and Puerto Rico, as well as our online flagship store, jcp.com.

While our stores have been closed during the pandemic, we are now safely and gradually reopening across the country, based on state and local guidelines. Check here to see if a store near you is open, and for more information on the important health and safety measures we have put in place to help ensure a healthy shopping environment.

We remain dedicated to offering you an inspiring shopping experience with the value and quality you expect in both our stores and on jcp.com. We will continue to provide compelling merchandise and offer new services and innovations, including Contact-free curbside pickup at all open stores.

JCPenney has been part of America’s communities for more than 100 years, and we look forward to serving our customers for another 100 years.

Thank you for being our valued customer.

Sincerely,

Jill Soltau

Chief Executive Officer
JCPenney

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Yep, and they gave their top executives multi million dollar bonuses yesterday so they could grab the money before the bankruptcy filing. They all need to be frog marched straight to jail.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...-bonuses-as-bankruptcy-looms/ar-BB1456Gn

Why? Those are the executives that have been working off their asses trying to save the company. They should be compensated for going down with the ship and loyalty.
Well they failed at their job. I've never been or ever expected to be rewarded for failure.

Did they really fail, or did they postpone the inevitable?

They were hired to manage a capsizing ship that was turning bottoms up; 10 years ago, it was evident that Penny's would eventually fail.

Retail (especially fashion retail) is a fickle mistress with rapidly changing trends. A retailer has to anticipate these trends, determine popular colors and, styles and, place orders a year in advance. With rise of social media, "influencers" direct their followers and change carefully planned orders. The internet has similarly changed how people buy as costs are less with warehouse space rather than expensive retail malls. Maybe, these guys did a respectable job with the odds stacked against them.

Since Penny's filed for Chapter 11 bankrupt, we'll probably see the brand survive.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Many years ago there was a hosiery mill in a nearby town here in WKY. They manufactured men's, women's, girl's, boy's and little kids socks of all kinds, materials and styles for various stores like J.C.Penny's, Sears, Montgomery Wards, etc. The same socks were sold to each customer but with their packaging and logo. The only tangible difference was patterns and colors.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Filling a store with cheap, Chinese, products had a short run as a successful business model but it has failed now. GD

Last edited by greydog; 05/16/20.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by djs
Yep, and they gave their top executives multi million dollar bonuses yesterday so they could grab the money before the bankruptcy filing. They all need to be frog marched straight to jail.

Why? Those are the executives that have been working off their asses trying to save the company. They should be compensated for going down with the ship and loyalty.
Well they failed at their job. I've never been or ever expected to be rewarded for failure.

They were hired to manage a capsizing ship that was turning bottoms up; 10 years ago, it was evident that Penny's would eventually fail.

Retail (especially fashion retail) is a fickle mistress with rapidly changing trends. A retailer has to anticipate these trends, determine popular colors and, styles and, place orders a year in advance. With rise of social media, "influencers" direct their followers and change carefully planned orders. The internet has similarly changed how people buy as costs are less with warehouse space rather than expensive retail malls. Maybe, these guys did a respectable job with the odds stacked against them.

Since Penny's filed for Chapter 11 bankrupt, we'll probably see the brand survive.

`

The year was 1981. My wife worked and retired from J.C. Penney in 1989 but the year was1981 IIRTC. J.C. Penney was divesting itself as a department store and going for the yuppie trade almost exclusively. I remember it well because my wife called me from work and said they were selling all the guns at their cost and I could get her employee's discount as well. I bought two Remington 700s in 30-06, the ADL for $99 and the BDL for $110. I also bought a Winchester 94 30-30 for $85 and a Marlin 336 for $95. Still have the BDL and M94. Let a friend buy the Marlin and gave the ADL to my stepson. He gave it to his son years later. It wasn't a few years later my wife told my JCP was in trouble and that was at least 37 years ago. They've trying to keep their head above water ever since.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Wore a lot of JCP clothing as a kid. One of my mother's preferred places to shop. Last couple shirts my wife purchased from them 30 years ago started unraveling and coming apart after 2nd or 3rd washing. Have not purchased anything from them since. Feel sorry for the working class folks losing their jobs. However, will not miss JCP...

For all the people saying the executives "deserve" the exorbitant retention bonuses for staying with a sinking ship... How about paying all of the hourly workers and admin staff the same prorata share of THEIR annual salary for a severance package ?

Are you aware as to whether the lower level workers received some extra compensation.

NRA Patron
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by djs

Yeah they failed as evidenced by the fact that they've filed chapter 11. If they wanted to succeed they needed to make some drastic changes, perhaps to a much broader spectrum of merchandise . They didn't and haven't made any noticeable changes since my mom started working there 15 years ago. Still basically just clothing, jewelry and shoes.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Originally Posted by djs

What you’ll see survive of them will be their real estate. That’s the only value left within them.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
20 years ago I bought all my clothes there. The staff was competent and helpful. Gradually, they eliminated staff and dumbed down the remainders. I stopped going there. Now I buy most of my stuff over the Internet--Joseph A. Bank, Orvis, and L.L. Bean. My dress suits will probably last me all the rest of my life. i might try Duluth, after reading that thread. Duluth has a store near here where you can try stuff on.

I wish I had access to a Duluth store, I'd like to check some of their stuff out. Hate ordering cloths online.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Tealblue
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Orion,
You know the people who do the actual work and make the ship
go mean nothing. It's the Captain and the Pilot who ran the [bleep]
aground that are important. And deserve a golden parachute.

When she dies for good, the janitor and stock boy will be left with
rubber paychecks.

I laugh at the stuff I see where people say they will never look at
service employees the same after the Kungflu.

Bullcrap.
If you walked around 6 months ago, nose in the air looking down on those
people, it was about you, not them.

And corona isn't going to change your flawed, arrogant ash.

I don't think anyone I know ever looked down on the person in that role. They just never believed that putting cans on a shelf, folded towels/pants/shirt on a table or changed the price on the pool noodles in Sporting Goods is exactly a "high skill" and worthy of 30 bucks an hour, a bronze statue and your face on a stamp.

Anybody who works in a position where they have to deal with John Q public deserves respect and a good wage. John Q Public is a GIANT flaming ass hole and a HUGE PITA to serve.

Even though you're an angry man there's a lot of truth in your statement.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Originally Posted by djs

What you’ll see survive of them will be their real estate. That’s the only value left within them.

I don't know whether Penny's owned all of their real-estate or owned some and leased some. Given their financial picture over the past 20 years, I'd guess that newer locations were leased with no value going to Penny's or its stockholders. From the referenced story, Penny's is going to spin off some real-estate holdings into a REIT.
see: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/16/ban...erties-into-new-real-estate-company.html

The unfortunate thing about Chapter 11 bankruptcy is that debts are discharged (i.e., stiff creditors) so the entity can re-capitalize and start anew. This might be good for some (e.g., employees) but it hurts creditors.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Originally Posted by djs

I don't know whether Penny's owned all of their real-estate or owned some and leased some. Given their financial picture over the past 20 years, I'd guess that newer locations were leased with no value going to Penny's or its stockholders. From the referenced story, Penny's is going to spin off some real-estate holdings into a REIT.
see: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/16/ban...erties-into-new-real-estate-company.html

The unfortunate thing about Chapter 11 bankruptcy is that debts are discharged (i.e., stiff creditors) so the entity can re-capitalize and start anew. This might be good for some (e.g., employees) but it hurts creditors.

Interesting info on the REIT.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (204guy, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,304
Posts18,487,128
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.