Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by K1500
I have the EU2000i. It has been great and runs my microwave (even at altitude if I remember correctly). If you are only getting one, don’t get the companion version. The way they work is you can hook two eu2000i units together in parallel to get 4,000 watts out of them. You can’t normally do this with a generator, but the small Honda inverter generator (and a few others) are capable of it. You have to have a special set of cables and a linking box to link them.

For the Honda, if you link one regular EU2000i to the companion version (costs a bit more) you can delete the box. Bottom line...if you buy one get the regular version. If you want to link them and run the AC later on, make your second unit a companion model and you are good to go. Other than the hassle of keeping 2 generators, this makes more sense to me than buying the 3000. They are lighter, you have more power, two 2000’s cost the same as a 3000, and you have the option of splitting the set when you need only one.

When you get the generator get the appropriate 15 amp to 30 (or 50) amp adaptor. Also, you can get a set of charging cables to directly charge a battery from the generator. It may save you if you have a dead truck battery sometime.

Exactly what I was going to post till I saw this. I have the standard EU2000i, the companion model that has the 30 amp receptacle, and the parallel kit.
My personal pluses as mentioned are you only have to run one for the lighter duty uses, and being only 50 pounds they are easy to handle and load.
Quiet and sip fuel especially on economy mode.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a Yamaha 2000 because it was about 1/2 price at Cabelas using my points and closeout sale. I have been 100% satisfied. It is a clone of the Honda 2000, but if I was paying full price I would just get the Honda. We use it mostly for the camper if we cant get electric hook up. It is very efficient and we never had need for more power. I actually thought of getting a smaller model for ease of carry, but then amps may have been an issue. We run microwave, small AC, LED lights, and fridge. Super quiet and that is a concern at some camp sites.
I use standard fresh gas, but I switch to the canned stabilized stuff when we are finishing up the trip. That way it does not get funky when it sits.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ive got a Honda 2000 and a 3500. From Experience>>>>>Dont get anything but a Honda brand name as there are several knockoffs that look just like the Honda but are China/Korean. Stay away from Harbor Freight and similar crap because thats just what it is.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
I have the EU2000i. It has been great and runs my microwave (even at altitude if I remember correctly). If you are only getting one, don’t get the companion version. The way they work is you can hook two eu2000i units together in parallel to get 4,000 watts out of them. You can’t normally do this with a generator, but the small Honda inverter generator (and a few others) are capable of it. You have to have a special set of cables and a linking box to link them.

For the Honda, if you link one regular EU2000i to the companion version (costs a bit more) you can delete the box. Bottom line...if you buy one get the regular version. If you want to link them and run the AC later on, make your second unit a companion model and you are good to go. Other than the hassle of keeping 2 generators, this makes more sense to me than buying the 3000. They are lighter, you have more power, two 2000’s cost the same as a 3000, and you have the option of splitting the set when you need only one.

When you get the generator get the appropriate 15 amp to 30 (or 50) amp adaptor. Also, you can get a set of charging cables to directly charge a battery from the generator. It may save you if you have a dead truck battery sometime.

Exactly what I was going to post till I saw this. I have the standard EU2000i, the companion model that has the 30 amp receptacle, and the parallel kit.
My personal pluses as mentioned are you only have to run one for the lighter duty uses, and being only 50 pounds they are easy to handle and load.
Quiet and sip fuel especially on economy mode.

That is the gold standard of the commercial fishing fleets I have been around and mine is still quietly humming after a couple decades.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Seeing as how you guys are discussing generators, any suggestions on a portable model with 220-240v capabilities for use on our well if the power goes out for any length of time. Right now, it's our only semi-major issue for outages over a few hours.

Portable model on wheels would work fine. Small enough to hand carry, with enough juice for a well pump, I can deal with that too.

For 220-240 and heavier starting loads like a well pump you will have to know what size (HP) your well pump is. If its a 3 HP (around 2250W) don't just buy a generator that will put out 3 2250W because it wont handle the starting current which can be up to 6 times the normal running current depending on starting methods. You will have to oversize the gen for that starting current. You can find some info online to help you pick the right size.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
The perfect one for your use is the 2000 watt inverter gen. that Northern Tool sells as their brand, Iron Horse I believe. Carry a spare pull rope for the starter. If youre not on a budget , the Honda version gets good reviews.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Seeing as how you guys are discussing generators, any suggestions on a portable model with 220-240v capabilities for use on our well if the power goes out for any length of time. Right now, it's our only semi-major issue for outages over a few hours.

Portable model on wheels would work fine. Small enough to hand carry, with enough juice for a well pump, I can deal with that too.

Have you considered solar? Check out rural power systems in Cali.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, I'll ask the electrician that's going to put in the transfer switch and my little bro the electrical contractor about those loads.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Have you considered solar? Check out rural power systems in Cali.

Probably out of my fixed income price range, but I'll look into it.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
The new Honda version is the 2200i which has had a recall so, if you go that route, make sure it's had the recall done.

It's nice to be able to pair for higher capacity, or spit for ease of carrying/use. Also, the external tank is a great option for extended run time and the "i" Hondas provide very clean power for laptops, etc. One other consideration I had was, in the event of a failure in an emergency situation, I'd rather have two 2200i units (or two 3000i units if you can afford them) than one larger unit so you're not totally out of luck and can at least still run some basic lights or a space-heater.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have the Generac IQ2000. It’s a great unit. I think it’s quieter than my brothers Honda.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We have a Honda eu2000. Haven't used it a lot, but it is quiet and seems dependable. Approx 8 hrs on a tank of gas if we run it over night.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Honda or Yamaha

compare decible readings & availability/cost

Harbor Freight sell this 3500I for $800

Reviews are good

[Linked Image from shop.harborfreight.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
How is parts availability, and service on the different brands?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by wabigoon
How is parts availability, and service on the different brands?

Been running my Yamaha 2800I for 15 years......

Spark plug the only thing I've ever needed.....probably 5-6 times

Fresh fuel.......clean motor oil twice a year.......

I'd buy another Yamaha in a New York minute

Here's my badd boy....paid about $1200 in 2005

https://www.yamahagenerators.com/EF2800i-p/ef2800i.htm

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
GENERAC is another name brand to consider.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Have the Harbor Freight model. Consumer Report rated it over the Honda because of nearly identical performance at half the price. It has been a great generator, but it won't run the microwave.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've been running inverter generators for a long time. My first gen was a 1000cc Honda. This unit gets the most use to this day. My second gen is a Yamaha 3000 iSEB boost. The Yamaha will run anything in my camp. The quality of the materials used in this unit is very good. The fuel system is all electro plated steel. It has a 18 -24 hours run time at higher power levels.

I would recommend the small and large generator method. Both of the generators excel at their needs. The 1000 keeps the batteries charged and runs all the AV equipment. The 3000 will run the AC Micro without problems. I got a wireless remote for the start.

I manufactured a jumper to use the 3000 for backup power at home. The 3000 will run the fridge and furnace along with lights and TV without problem.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Another Honda EU2000 owner here. Buy one and you'll never regret it.

- Rogue
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Another EU2000i owner. Mine is six years old and has well in excess of 1000 hours.

Only one problem so far. A couple of months ago it was shutting down on low oil. Had oil, but changed it. Continued shutting down. Changed the oil again while it was hot. Has worked fine ever since.

There is a thread on the oil sensor issue on this forum.

That being said I would buy another one tomorrow. However if this one dies on me, I will go the EU3000. Cannot run my microwave with the 2000 if anything else is on.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 21, 72 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,536
Posts18,491,357
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.