Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by jwp475

I've heard Rob Leatham say "smooth is fast and fast is smooth"

So has every other instructor. LOL

I think that's why they say it.

Leatham sure looks smooth and not fast when making magazine changes' but the timer says he is fast

Last edited by jwp475; 05/17/20.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The expression "fast is smooth" is accurate, but it's something that is often used to keep people focused on fundamentals. And if you're trying to get a shooter from 7 seconds to 5 seconds on a Bill Drill, that may very well be an effective means of getting that shooter to where he needs to be for that particular period of instruction.

The problem becomes shooters that move the left hand to their cover shirt, draw, establish grip, squeeze, BAM. A-zone. Every time. And that's good. But they continue to move slow because they have it in their head that the instructor taught them to "be smooth" to the point that they will sacrifice speed.

But if you want that shooter to get to a sub 2 or 3 second time, you have to get him to move his fugking ass. To include being fast on the trigger.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SS336
Waders, we also shoot from low ready. When it’s rimfire pistol night we also shoot pin tops. We shoot 9 tops and a stop plate. We always shoot 2 shooters against each other. Winner goes on, loser goes to the loser bracket, 2 loses and your out. Our targets are at 18 yards, outside under lights if needed.
We shoot centerfire pistol the second Thursday and something different the 4th Thursday. Rimfire pistol, long gun, under 40 pistol, rimfire rifle, like that. They are fun shoots. To win you have to be fast and accurate. Most of the time to win a round and move on you won't get to far into a reload.

We also shooting everything in a double elimination format. We normally shoot everything at 25 feet.

At our club, you are allowed to bring 3 magazines of 6 rounds each to the line. Since we don't have different matches for revolvers, this gives wheel gunners a better chance. Rarely does anybody get into a second magazine--you've either won or lost by then.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
The expression "fast is smooth" is accurate, but it's something that is often used to keep people focused on fundamentals. And if you're trying to get a shooter from 7 seconds to 5 seconds on a Bill Drill, that may very well be an effective means of getting that shooter to where he needs to be for that particular period of instruction.

The problem becomes shooters that move the left hand to their cover shirt, draw, establish grip, squeeze, BAM. A-zone. Every time. And that's good. But they continue to move slow because they have it in their head that the instructor taught them to "be smooth" to the point that they will sacrifice speed.

But if you want that shooter to get to a sub 2 or 3 second time, you have to get him to move his fugking ass. To include being fast on the trigger.

To me smooth means no wasted Motion, moving as fast as you are capable of without attempting to go faster than you are capable of

Last edited by jwp475; 05/17/20.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

To me Smith means no wasted Motion, moving as fast as you are capable of without attempting to go faster than you are capable of

That's another part of the equation.

Getting different brains to understand what the instructor is saying.

Not saying your interpretation is wrong, just that not everybody hears what the guy next to him heard.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Waders
Waders, we also shoot from low ready. When it’s rimfire pistol night we also shoot pin tops. We shoot 9 tops and a stop plate. We always shoot 2 shooters against each other. Winner goes on, loser goes to the loser bracket, 2 loses and your out. Our targets are at 18 yards, outside under lights if needed.
We shoot centerfire pistol the second Thursday and something different the 4th Thursday. Rimfire pistol, long gun, under 40 pistol, rimfire rifle, like that. They are fun shoots. To win you have to be fast and accurate. Most of the time to win a round and move on you won't get to far into a reload.

We also shooting everything in a double elimination format. We normally shoot everything at 25 feet.

At our club, you are allowed to bring 3 magazines of 6 rounds each to the line. Since we don't have different matches for revolvers, this gives wheel gunners a better chance. Rarely does anybody get into a second magazine--you've either won or lost by then.

There are always going to be different club rules for sure. We start with a low ready, or pistol on the rail, either wait for command of commence and then fire or we switch it up and use a buzzer from a shot timer. The front edge of our table is at 35 feet, so the rear pins (for 22lr) are going to be approx. 38 feet from the shooter. The added distance creates a little more difficulty. Yesterday we had a new club member join us and he's shot a lot more pin shoots in Vancouver and the Portland area, and rumor has it that he's taken all the pins off the table at a timed 2.8 seconds. He uses a very nice souped up Volquartsen. He won a few matches, but none of the events. If deflave gets into pin shooting, he will realize that you do indeed need to shoot fast and accurately, if he wants to win. Especially if he goes up against seasoned shooters...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Do you shoot at Clark in Vancouver? We had a couple new guys come from Clark rifles yesterday.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
... it just doesn't seem like bowling pin matches involve a lot of fast shooting.

I tend to agree in principle. But there is a reason:

Any hit on an 8" steel plate or the 6"x12" A-Zone of a silhouette is "good enough" and earns you full points. You can risk shooting faster, because the targets are bigger. (Imagine a speed match where the plates were 3" in diameter or the A-Zone was 3"x 6". The shooting would be slower.)

Bowling pins, unlike other speed targets, have a sweet spot (see the pic, below). You need to hit it to have success. I don't have a pin in front of me, but the sweet spot is probably 3"x 6" or so. If you don't hit it, the pin likely won't go back and off the table. A tipped over pin on the table accomplishes nothing, except wasting ammo, time, and possibly presenting a smaller profile to shoot at (i.e. a knocked-over pin with its bottom facing you). A sideways knocked-over pin still needs to be hit in the sweet spot, otherwise it just spins (they pivot on their chubby middle and rotate like a propeller). It's one of the factors that makes pin-shooting fun: a bad hit, might be a "hit," but it might actually make things worse.

So the targets are smaller, and when you couple that with the fact that there is no national league and no real prizes involved, the best shooters don't bother with local pin matches. Pin matches are typically a group of regular guys, shooting stock pistols, at small targets. Consequently it goes slower.

With that explanation, I agree pin matches don't "involve a lot of fast shooting."

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here's an old video my daughter took of me squeaking one out in a match. If a guy can consistently clear the table in 3.75 seconds or so, you'll do fine. Even keeping under 5.0, you'll probably be OK. Just don't miss and need to change mags:

Wade

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Do you shoot at Clark in Vancouver?

No, I've only shot at my home club, Centralia Rifle Club.

Wade

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...the rear pins (for 22lr) are going to be approx. 38 feet from the shooter ... he's taken all the pins off the table at a timed 2.8 seconds.

That's fast. Very fast.

I've never been close to that.

Wade

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To include being fast on the trigger.

And therein lies the biggest problem for most people.................many that try to be fast on the trigger tend to jerk it.

As range goes beyond 5 yards at any kind of refined target (like pin tops), jerking the trigger much at all get you a lot of misses.

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Do you shoot at Clark in Vancouver?

No, I've only shot at my home club, Centralia Rifle Club.

Sorry Wade, that question was for ss336. His location says Willamette valley. I was assuming Portland salem area, so shooting at Clark would be a high possibility.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Hallelujah I am inflicted. May the farce be with you.

Last edited by glockdoofus; 05/17/20.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
BSA, I shoot at Albany pistol and rifle club. Because of the C-19 we haven’t shoot since the “lockdown”. We get about 15 to 20 shooters In average. It’s a club event, we have about 5 really good shooters and the rest of us. grin At my age, mid 70’s, I’m more of a participant than a competitor. Still fun and I can win some rounds but haven’t won’t match since 2016. frown
Waders, we also shoot 6 rounds and 2 reloads, except for 22rf which is 10 and 2 reloads, and your right if you have to reload your probably not a winner.
It’s a lot of fun and can be very humbling when shooting against a good shooter.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

To me Smith means no wasted Motion, moving as fast as you are capable of without attempting to go faster than you are capable of

That's another part of the equation.

Getting different brains to understand what the instructor is saying.

Not saying your interpretation is wrong, just that not everybody hears what the guy next to him heard.

So true. It really gets interesting when you set up courses where the shooter goes in blind [no preview], and there are clusters of targets w/ no shoots and body positioning required for pass throughs. Any course that requires positive target ID and problem solving will tell you how fast you can really go in a zero defects environment.

Smooth is fast, combat effective hits, any hit is a good hit; old concepts that let the students feel good about their shortcomings and sold more classes.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
... it just doesn't seem like bowling pin matches involve a lot of fast shooting.

I tend to agree in principle. But there is a reason:

Any hit on an 8" steel plate or the 6"x12" A-Zone of a silhouette is "good enough" and earns you full points. You can risk shooting faster, because the targets are bigger. (Imagine a speed match where the plates were 3" in diameter or the A-Zone was 3"x 6". The shooting would be slower.)

Bowling pins, unlike other speed targets, have a sweet spot (see the pic, below). You need to hit it to have success. I don't have a pin in front of me, but the sweet spot is probably 3"x 6" or so. If you don't hit it, the pin likely won't go back and off the table. A tipped over pin on the table accomplishes nothing, except wasting ammo, time, and possibly presenting a smaller profile to shoot at (i.e. a knocked-over pin with its bottom facing you). A sideways knocked-over pin still needs to be hit in the sweet spot, otherwise it just spins (they pivot on their chubby middle and rotate like a propeller). It's one of the factors that makes pin-shooting fun: a bad hit, might be a "hit," but it might actually make things worse.

So the targets are smaller, and when you couple that with the fact that there is no national league and no real prizes involved, the best shooters don't bother with local pin matches. Pin matches are typically a group of regular guys, shooting stock pistols, at small targets. Consequently it goes slower.

With that explanation, I agree pin matches don't "involve a lot of fast shooting."

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I agree with all of that.

Here's an old video my daughter took of me squeaking one out in a match. If a guy can consistently clear the table in 3.75 seconds or so, you'll do fine. Even keeping under 5.0, you'll probably be OK. Just don't miss and need to change mags:

How are you guys getting an accurate time in those conditions? It seems like the enclosed spaces would make it hard to run a timer for each shooter.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
. If deflave gets into pin shooting, he will realize that you do indeed need to shoot fast and accurately, if he wants to win. Especially if he goes up against seasoned shooters...

Competition is always good and I'm glad you enjoy the game, but if you're competitive with a 3rd Gen Smith I'd argue that nobody is really shooting fast.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by lvmiker

So true. It really gets interesting when you set up courses where the shooter goes in blind [no preview], and there are clusters of targets w/ no shoots and body positioning required for pass throughs. Any course that requires positive target ID and problem solving will tell you how fast you can really go in a zero defects environment.

Smooth is fast, combat effective hits, any hit is a good hit; old concepts that let the students feel good about their shortcomings and sold more classes.

mike r

Training is definitely different than shooting, but I really enjoy going to a match and see what a Master class shooter in the Open Division is putting up for score so I can get a good idea of what is fast vs slow. If that requires a walk through, I'm taking the walk through because I want to use that barometer to better assess my own ability.

Totally agree on the selling more classes mantra. Doesn't mean there isn't value taken away from the class, but a lot of it gets repeated far too often.

That's why I always try and use a solid metric. USPSA (and the associated drills) come closer than anything IMO.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I agree that a master class shooter is poetry in motion to watch and demos what can be achieved. The winners can make up for hits outside of the A zone w/ speed afoot and great gun handling as a function of the scoring system. If you are a really good shooter the human factors of self defense shooting are much easier to learn and incorporate. Competition combined w/ FOF is about as good as it gets. Great topic!

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How are you guys getting an accurate time in those conditions? It seems like the enclosed spaces would make it hard to run a timer for each shooter.

We don't use timers. It's a double elimination format, and each match is shot head-to-head. If you win your match, you advance through the bracket.

The winner of each match is determined by the guy whose last pin hits the ground first. (I made reference to times in my post to give an idea of how fast you'd have to be to win at my club.)

Wade

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 02bfishn, 1234, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,573
Posts18,491,943
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.