Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
The worst thing that happened to my ability to write was my college English class, which taught a stilted, formulaic, form of expression. Somewhere along the way, I learned to switch to writing conversational English, and my product was better.

A big change happened a few years out of college, when I had to write for publication for my employer. I dutifully sent my work to the editor assigned to review it, and she did a marvelous job. The result was shorter, clearer, and expressed exactly what I wanted to say. So I asked her to teach me how to do that for myself, and she did, in just a couple of hours. I don't know that I always hit the high mark that she set, but I do try. I wonder if she knows the impact she had?

Last edited by denton; 05/19/20.

Be not weary in well doing.
GB1

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
The most valuable course I took in high school was touch typing. Since I was in the "academic track," my mother made me take it in Summer school. NOw as I age, i often hit the wrong key.

Penmanship? Fuggedaboudit. I often can't read my own writing--or printing.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
denton,

I don't know how or why that stilted (usually passive voice) writing style became standard in high school, and even in some universities.

In my 20s I made quite a bit of money turning university theses and dissertations into understandable English, along with field reports from a couple of historical/archaeological research companies.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ward
Writing clearly and concisely has become harder as I've gotten older. Lots of writers work into advanced years and I'm curious if the process of writing gets more difficult as time passes. I'm glad I don't make a living by writing because my productivity has declined to the point it would take far too long to produce anything considered passable writing.

Reading the first few post there seems to be some confusion between penmenship and writing. Taking you at your word I assume your are asking about writing. Yes, I notice a cognitive decline with age, but so far it is in significant.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I don't know how or why that stilted (usually passive voice) writing style became standard in high school, and even in some universities.

It became popular because it comes off as confident and authoritative, which is important when you're a tiny and meaningless part of the university system.

John, you'd love a book called Ad Infinitim (https://www.amazon.com/Ad-Infinitum-Biography-Nicholas-Ostler/dp/0802716792). It traces a lot of the problems of modern English back to the Dark Ages when the church was the arbiter of style. Fascinating read.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
........my fingers weren't quite strong enough then to type "correctly" on a manual, so ended up typing with each forefinger, to make the keys hit hard enough.

Interesting historical perspective there old-timer. Kind of like getting photos developed.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My handwriting is hard for me to read after it gets cold, so I now print.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Before computers as pervasive as they are now I had do handwritten condition reports on equipment here in the refinery. These reports had to be legible and sometimes several were done per day. I dropped cursive writing and started spelling. It was very legible and neat and remains that way years later. I'm lucky with no arthritis in my hands even after 25yrs of cutting near frozen meat in my former trade.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

About 5 years ago, I started editing my work emails for passive voice. I was able to cut about 1/3 out of each one........

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
It is starting ti resemble my Fathers, not good. But, it is still heads above the signatures and penmanship of the judges and lawyers I used to have to decipher for years.

I started having this problem myself, compounded by the mechanical drawing I took in 7th Grade Shop. My printing is in that style, but the careful directional strokes I learned went all to Hell long ago.

When I was still working, I was a self-taught half-assed touch-typist, good enough for the short snippets I had to write. The use of an iPad has totally futzed that up. Now, on the rare occasions when I use an actual keyboard, it's a disaster, worse on a laptop with no numerical keypad.

I also keep finding my self stabbing the screen with my finger and wondering why nothing happens.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
The thinking and formulating have always come fairly easy for me, and still do.
Getting my fingers to co-operate has become problematic.
My cursive, which was once beautiful, left years ago.
My printing is on a serious down-slide.
Hands cramp just writing a few checks - the only thing decent is my signature!
My keyboard work is slow, but tolerable. smile smile smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When I'm really on a role, I can do about 2 pages of technical writing a day. At about our second class reunion, I told our typing teacher that was my most valuable high school class.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Because others have mention it, I will too. I failed penmanship early on in school, by third grade as I recall. Nuns made me stay after and practice that stuff that was tacked up above the blackboard all around the room. I failed art a lot too. Maybe there's a connection? I always told the nuns that I was going to be a Doctor or such and didn't need to write legibly. Well, I eventually learned how to print sort of well. Occasionally, I look back at some college notes I have from when I was in my late 30's.I used some sort of combination of cursive scratching and slanted printing, likely out of a need for speed and whatever I could get on paper could be deciphered later. I still print most written communications. I try hard to make them understandable to regular folks.

As for writing, besides a few emails on occasion for business and personal reasons, most of it seems to be here. If I know Travis (deflave) might be reading it I try to be as long winded as I can and use words as big as possible for the meaning I am trying to get across. It seems to bother him a bit. Besides, terseness has never been my strong suit. I have the ADHD stuff and get off into tangents trying to express ideas at times.

I can never remember if I use too many commas, or not enough. Teachers and I went round and round about that at times. At least I attempt to use punctuation, unlike some other members of the 'fire.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am left handed and my cursive was pretty good until I retired. Now, after twenty six years of doing little cursive it is pretty poor. I can still print well and things like reload labels are legible. My signature has changed a bit. Like others I get finger cramps quickly these days if I write for a few minutes.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Nuns made me stay after and practice that stuff...I can never remember if I use too many commas, or not enough. Teachers and I went round and round about that at times. At least I attempt to use punctuation, unlike some other members of the 'fire.

The sisters worked daily for,
The Father,
The Son,
And the Holy Ghost.
Not Simon and Shuster,
Or the Huffington Post.

Commas are, for editors, to check.,

You have always used the correct amount, but others have used more, or less...more or less.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Being able to put pen to paper was, for me, a powerful tool in achieving my goals. Being capable of writing a report, a critique or a justification for funding training or equipment was a portal to the big leagues. I learned at an early age that communicating via the written word was the difference between imagination and realization.
Being a good communicator is an art form that is a product of very hard work.

I do not miss the effort required to produce a meaningful product. Those that can create a written image that enthralls and illuminates have my greatest respect.

I scribbled in pencil in spiral notebooks and had suffering secretaries to translate my thoughts into meaningful prose. I hate to type.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
While I am a decent typist, whenever I have a writing project I find that I have the best result if I hand write the first couple of paragraphs and then I type that up and continue to compose on the computer. I think the handwriting slows me down just enough to get my mind well into the project.

I am envious of my wife. She is a fabulous writer - she learned lots of grammar in her years in a Catholic grade school.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I never was a John Hancock, but my God the last 20 years I've written very little. I'm always typing on one of these things. I got a Bachelors Degree in Legal Studies on line at the age of 63. I actually Did it with my BS skills. I figured out too late in life that I could probably been an author. I made the Dean's List numerous times and the president's list once and it was because of my writing. However, my penmanship sucks. Especially the last 20 years as I write very seldom. I can barely write a check. My signature looks different every time I sign something. Then there's my spelling which gets worse as I get older. If it wasn't for spell check I'd never gotten a degree.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
BTW, I'm a self taught touch typist.

But thank God I'm not a gun writer, LOL!

Last edited by Filaman; 06/22/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Older I get the better I was.

LOL!!!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (219DW, 1234, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1minute, 222Sako, 55 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,795
Posts18,496,223
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.