Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by shootinurse
Originally Posted by Paul39
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Different people have aptitudes for different skills.

Very true.

After your doctor has put in a long day at the clinic, do you want him spending whatever spare time he may have reading to keep up with the latest research or techniques, or out in his shop making or fixing stuff, especially when he can afford to pay somebody who needs the work to do it?

I want him in his shop, or in the garden growing tasty produce, or at the range shooting, so he can hit his birds or big game, or whatever. The worst docs I've seen are just that. Docs. No concept of life and living. Nothing to decompress. Life has to balance. You can't be the best at anything unless you balance with other things.

A very good point, too. Thanks. In my experience, docs aren't the most balanced group out there, but it's risky to overgeneralize. Come to think about it, it's true of a lot of overdriven types, seems to go with the territory.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Blue collar or white collar, I am amazed at people's lack of reading comprehension and or character.

Way too fuggin many act like women, get emotional and abandon logic.

And then they add more stupidity to defend their twat ish behavior.

Last edited by hookeye; 05/20/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Fugging doped up Boomers.....

There is a great metaphorical documentary about the Boomer generation, called Easy Rider that I highly recommend.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by duck911

Pop tarts

Hot pockets

Pizza rolls

all three meals of the day...................covered.

Maybe change it up a bit with some Vee ainy sausages and some them Sketti-oes

You been hanging with Slummy??

Fugg no, I don't eat that crap. I can cook. I even post pics in the food threads at times.

Well, perhaps the occasional Pop tart.........I have a sweet tooth. And they are convenient. I think the last one I had was on a tug, and I haven't been on a boat since summer '17.

Hot pockets suck, mystery meat filled into some sort of bad dough.

Pizza rolls???? My Sicilian grandpa would come out of his grave and travel 3000 miles to kick my ass.

No he wouldnt....
He would try a couple of em I bet outta a sense of curiosity.
Then experiment and make his own improved version.

LOL!!!

Palermo is pretty cool.
Spent 3 months their.
But their pizza sucks....
It really does......
I have ate pizza all over this planet.
The ones in Palermo were bad dude, I mean real bad.

Made German made pizza look good. crazy

Only thing worse is arab pizza with ground goat meat paste smeared on flat bread with funky cheese from god knows what sprinkled on it.
Quick flash bake back in the outdoor stone oven.
Bon afuggingpetite......

Barf.............

Lol!!!

I love lamahjoon, Armenian pizza

[Linked Image from images.media-allrecipes.com]

Of course, the ones I have eaten don't conjure the memories you likely have. I had mine in SoCal.......not some place they were shootin' at me.

Not sayin' that shootin' stuff couldn't have happened, I just tended to stay outa those neighborhoods in SoCal grin

Yeah, some areas of Italy don't make pizza like CiCi's for sure. Some are pretty skimpy from what I've seen.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Fugging doped up Boomers.....

There is a great metaphorical documentary about the Boomer generation, called Easy Rider that I highly recommend.

There is a great metaphorical documentary about the pre boomer generation called Lost Weekend that I highly recommend

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kkahmann
Thomas Jefferson was once asked that since he believed a citizen had a right to be educated,at public expense, in useful knowledge—what constituted ‘useful knowledge’.
Jefferson replied that ‘useful knowledge’ consisted of 5 things
1) a Man should know how to build his own house.
2) a Man should know how to build his own boat
3) a Man should know how to plant and harvest his own vegetables and grain.
4) a Man should know how to raise livestock and butcher same
5) a Man should know how to hunt and fish

1) a Man should know how to build his own house..................... Have built houses for others, so I'll give myself a........ Check

2) a Man should know how to build his own boat .................... One I'm still working on doing someday.

3) a Man should know how to plant and harvest his own vegetables and grain........................BTDT, still doing it as a matter of fact...........Check

4) a Man should know how to raise livestock and butcher same .................Do chickens count (and see below) ........Check

5) a Man should know how to hunt and fish................................... Aye Aye Captain............Check

In it is contentment

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by RyanTX
I was thinking about just this topic this weekend. My son Jake is in high school. His girlfriend has a sister who's car battery died Saturday. Her boyfriend, a civil engineering student in college, didn't know what to do with the car. So, they call my son (her dad is out of town). My son goes over, tried to jump start and battery was too far gone. Pulls it, takes it to auto parts store where he discovers the battery had been bought there and gets it replaced for free under warranty. Returns and puts it on, bingo the car starts.

I was proud of him. Her dad was too.

I will say that, now that I'm older with more discretionary cash, there are a lot of things that just aren't worth it for me to do. Not that I couldn't do it, I just don't HAVE TO now.

I think that earned him a hall pass with GFs sister, especially since her boyfriend is too stupid to even google why a car won't start.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by montanabadger
When I was a kid my dad couldn't keep me out of his tools.

I was the same way. I would watch him work on cars but he never explained what he was doing. I was taking bicycle hubs apart to grease the bearings before I was 11. I still try to do as much work on my home and cars still. I just finished the valve covers and knock sensors on my sisters car. On a Toyota camry with a V6 you need to remover the intake plenum for the valve cover gaskets and to replace the knock sensors the the intake mani has to come off. I am thankful for my mechanical aptitude. There have been a few time recently when I paid to have work done. A radiator in my truck that was just a few days before my knee replacement. My wifes Buicks water pump. I looked that job up on Youtube and decided to pay. I don't usually mess with auto electric stuff. I looked up the job on youtube and decided to pay for that. I hate painting but I guess I will do it unless I need a ladder or scaffold.

Last edited by smarquez; 05/20/20.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf
There is a legit gripe with a guy who lets his girlfriend change the battery in his Jeep because she doesn’t want him to pay a shop to do it. It happened to my youngest, and she dumped his sorry azz. She is still looking for a serious guy, because, as she told me, she wants a man who can fix and build things. Kid was helping me on the roof at 11, butchering chickens at 12(as well as helping with the processing on hogs, deer and cattle), learned to clean her own drains at thirteen. Damn long hair clogs them quick, and I did it once, made her watch, and she got to do it after that. Girl can fix more stuff than most of the guys she has dated and works in the operating room at the local hospital. The country is in a pitiful place, fellas.

Big problem is most folks these days see learning as work. And work as something to be avoided. Learning is opportunity. I never turned down a chance to learn something, even if it was dangerous or dirty. Had a lot of jobs, a decent amount of schooling, and done things a lot of folks have to pay through the nose to learn. Never spent much time unemployed, far more time trying to keep up with what people were asking for. Only thing ever held me back was finding help that wanted to work and was willing to learn.

My wife was out with some friends one day while I was at work and one of her friends daughter called looking for help with a flat. She was on a first date with some guy. Well, they went over there and since there was liquor involved in lunch, the guy got a little bit of a haircut over not knowing how to change a flat. Her mom slipped her her AAA card and said let him sweat a little. There was only one date. Her husband now can do anything and he is a really nice guy. He works for a local city's public works department.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is a great metaphorical documentary about the pre boomer generation called Lost Weekend that I highly recommend

I haven’t seen that one but will try to check it out.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Stickfight

I haven’t seen that one but will try to check it out.

Nominated for 7 Academy awards.

Won 4

In it is contentment

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I firmly believe in the nobility of labor. I feel noble when I call someone else to perform it.

Becoming financially independent through your own effort is a skillset that allows you to have a choice in how you spend your time and money. We are not all the same. Money is easy, time...not so much.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Some Boomers think that the best part of Easy Rider was the ending.grin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

When discussing "Easy Rider", it is important to remember its mirror twin "Electra Glide in Blue".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I firmly believe in the nobility of labor. I feel noble when I call someone else to perform it.

Becoming financially independent through your own effort is a skillset that allows you to have a choice in how you spend your time and money. We are not all the same. Money is easy, time...not so much.

mike r

I figure if Presidents can have stimulus programs, so can I.

I pay a friend to bring me firewood. All I have to do is split the rounds for exercise. Should I choose to, he'd bring it split and ready to burn. He has the saws, the big truck, access to the trees on private land.........why should I go buy a saw, chaps, etc and use my vehicle when he will do it and earn a living at it?

I do like to split it though.

In it is contentment

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

mike r

Next week there will be a thread bragging about getting rich through wise choices and how only morons with no discipline or planning skills are poor.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That requires a thread? I thought it was common knowledge.
But I'm sure you are correct; this is the fire.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 19352012

mike r

Next week there will be a thread bragging about getting rich through wise choices and how only morons with no discipline or planning skills are poor.

Good point.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

mike r

I figure if Presidents can have stimulus programs, so can I.

I pay a friend to bring me firewood. All I have to do is split the rounds for exercise. Should I choose to, he'd bring it split and ready to burn. He has the saws, the big truck, access to the trees on private land.........why should I go buy a saw, chaps, etc and use my vehicle when he will do it and earn a living at it?

I do like to split it though.

Man, I love splitting wood. One of my favorite exercises.

My farm manager is a guy that can literally do anything. Grow anything, weld, fix any car, tractor, implement, run an excavator, plumbing, electric.

The biggest problem is that he CAN do anything. He gets bogged down in stuff and never has time to do it all. At least once a week he tells me "we can do that ourselves" and I respond with "but we don't have the time". We just put in an alarm system, and we bought it and hired someone to install it and show us how to use it. We just don't have the time to learn the details, bend conduit, or to pull wires 300'. Do what we do best, which is growing things. As a buddy of mine is fond of saying: "before you know it you are digging for iron ore because you need a screw driver".

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

mike r

Naw, it was the centerfolds..........Sometimes.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 257 mag, 1badf350, 160user, 1lessdog, 51 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,832
Posts18,478,014
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.