Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Or ocean and gulf coast lines....

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Michigan has quite a few very old and earth dams.....they can only hold so mush water and will fail 5" of rain in a short period of time disaster will strike....

Originally Posted by The_Big_D
hard to understand why people chose to live in flood prone areas.... Then they come crying to the govt for help when their homes get wet!

I have lived in what would be called a flood prone area the Great Lakes my whole life (65 years) we had high water in 72-73, 85-86, 95-96 last year is the 4th time we have had high water and yesterday was the highest I've ever seen. I sandbag have pumps running. And have never ever ask for one f$cking penny from anyone and neither has any of my neighbors that live on the island, we do what it takes to protect our property.

We put up and pay with cash and sweat to live on one of the greatest fisheries in the world. Guess I'll go out fishing in my backyard and catch a limit of walleyes (6).

What would you want everybody that lives in a area that could be flooded move. There wouldn't be anybody living anywhere near a ocean coast or miles of any river or lake.

Last edited by coyotewacker; 05/20/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
8" of rain between Sunday and Tuesday. eek

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Folks wanting to fug with Ma Nature need to do their homework first, but often do not.

I present you, the Everglades.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
hard to understand why people chose to live in flood prone areas.... Then they come crying to the govt for help when their homes get wet!

Usually, it's because the price of the land is "right". Louisville, KY is built partly in a flood plain, and it's usually those houses that are most "affordable" to struggling families. They have gotten flooded out regularly over the years, due to unscrupulous builders who are supposed to disclose if a house is in a flood plain.

I grew up in rural Missouri, just uphill from a creek that flooded a lot (and it still does). Our house was up on the hill, as the bottomground was too valuable for farming to simply build a house there. In fact, NO ONE built their houses on good bottomground, and no one's houses flooded. But rural Missouri's population is pretty sparse, not like Michigan's, or Kentucky, where I live now. Sometimes, there's no other place to build a house, period.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Frau Hitler has dispatched the Gestapo to arrest the remains of those dams- - - - -they weren't supposed to move without her permission!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
didn't the missippi flood, didn't hear anyone saying the entire watershed should be cleared of people dwellings, or are they special

Last edited by sse; 05/20/20.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mike_S
I thought it was Michigan Dems collapse. Time for new readers.

Same here. And I was excited. Then I re-read. Hard stuff to endure.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I live in a floodplain aka creek bottom but I’m 277ft higher than the gauge at the boat ramp 18 miles away. People ask how in the hell did you flooded? Intensity baby!

Our May 3 2010 flood was a 500 year event. Whatever egghead came up with that, ok fine.

Creeks get mean when you get 10.8” of rainfall inside of 24-30 hours.

No water in the house but did get our crawlspace flooded. Had to pull out all the ductwork, bleach it and wrap with insulation. I tool my 5ton trane and my 2-1/2 package unit down to the carwash on a trailer and blasted them out and disinfected them. Water never got as high as my control boards in the units.

Flood ain’t no joke, especially when you’re watching it creep up the bricks on the side of your home an inch every 10 minutes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it involves water, wheels or tits, it's gonna give you problems eventually.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tyrone
If it involves water, wheels or tits, it's gonna give you problems eventually.

Early Cuyler trucker hat

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Folks wanting to fug with Ma Nature need to do their homework first, but often do not.

I present you, the Everglades.

Don’t get me started on that, please.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You pays your nickel and you takes your chances.

Prayers.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Sad stuff with good people displaced. Gonna be an awful lot of change on the landscape when this is all over.

Not made easier by our governess by any stretch. Her draconian policies will multiply the bad effects of this upon those residents for years to come.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is my home area, though I don't live there now. I do have a lot of family and friends in the immediate area, 3/4 of which had to evacuate. Thankfully, all family had friends already accounted for - property damage is unknown.

I've fished above and below these dams and boated and these lakes. The devastation is stunning and heart-rending. Videos of entire houses being carried on the currents. Dams that were once 30' above their downstream level are now flowing flush from lake level to outlet level. It's awful.

Interesting to note that the actual concrete structure of these dams, one built in 1925 and the other in 1926, are still mostly intact, but the earthen berms have given way.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
I feel sorry for the people of Midland. They didn't need this on top of all the other issues going on today. This will be devastating for hundreds, more likely thousands, but at least the campfire will get a laugh over it. Some sick bastards here.

Could not agree more.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw
Sad stuff with good people displaced. Gonna be an awful lot of change on the landscape when this is all over.

Not made easier by our governess by any stretch. Her draconian policies will multiply the bad effects of this upon those residents for years to come.

I understand she's reduced a few of the sanctions..............so as to be presentable by going to Elk Rapids this weekend & having a graduation party there for her daughter...................say it ain't so guv'ner.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

Usually, it's because the price of the land is "right".

Just go buy some beach front along the Florida coast and tell what a bargain it is....

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My office parking lot runs along the Saginaw river. Maintenance just taped off the half, closest to the river. We are expecting it to rise quite a bit by Friday. Not been this ugly around here since the "86" flooding.

I guess if I had a car or truck I did not want I could park it along the fence LOL

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind

And of the hundreds of people that I personally know up and down the river, nobody is crying for the government to save them.

Quite a difference of opinion from someone that actually has experiences in the matter...

Originally Posted by LeroyBeans

Figure it out, idiot.

Maybe they are idiots? Not like there is a shortage of space in these united states...

That really isn't how it works....

I grew up along coastal regions that often flooded, it just wasn't as big a deal as it's made to be today.
Hurricanes were our demons, every few years you were gonna get wet from tidal surges, you just got everything as high and dry as you could either taped or boarded up the windows and headed inland. More often than not, someone was going to be hosting a "Hurricane Party" at a safe home and everyone would get together and get drunk while watching the news.

Most help I really recall was the local authorities and sometimes even the National Guard would do their best to patrol the evacuated areas to keep looters at bay. After the storms would pass they would clear the roads, sometimes it took bulldozers to push all the sand off to make them passable again, then we would all return home.

The dry out process began, rip out the carpets if ya had them (terrazzo floors ruled the day for a reason) and toss whatever else wasn't worth saving, open all the windows and doors, give the place a bleach bath and hose it out and then do your best to make the place livable enough while the dry-out was taking place, large fans would be spinning everywhere...

A few days go by with the more typical storms and you were back in business, home sweet home on the beach.
A larger surge could require a two to four foot sheet rock rip through out and some new wire and outlets and maybe some new cabinets but that was rare and still not a devastating, life changing event. It could all be accomplished rather quickly and without all the drama attached as it seems to be today.

Fast Forward 20 Years

I'm hanging in Everglades City, lower than low country, hurricane Wilma makes a direct hit....

It wasn't like we didn't know it was coming, we prepared. Everything off the floors, even the grocery took everything off the bottom two shelves, windows were boarded up and people took refuge were ever they saw fit.

The winds weren't all that bad, some weaker carports and porch roofs were damaged but we took 2 feet of water across the island, there was no power coming to the island..

Early the following day, cleanup began, everyone kicked in. The roads were chainsawed open first thing, every door in town was open pressure washers were screaming, the inside and outside of everything was washed.
It's a fishing town, the crabbers fired up their boat generators and back fed a few homes, extension cords were everywhere.

It just took a few hours and the power company trucks started rolling into town, they knew the drill, they knew these people would have the roads open so they could get there.

Food was being prepared where the the crabbers had provided power, gas grills were lined up..everybody ate, including the guys from the power company. The phone company had seriously damaged lines and equipment, they set up a dozen temporary phones in front of the court house.

The lights were back on by days end, the stores were open for business and life somewhat resumed.

The following day, FEMA showed up with a truck load of food and staged a food give away at the church, Budweiser and Miller both showed up with truck loads of water, in black and white generic looking cans that hosted their names.
The church refused to let them off load, they had to stack the water out along the roads..........I still have some of those cans.

People showed up for the food giveaway, they always do, it was mostly for novelty more so than for necessity.

Miami and Naples Were in Peril

Even though they hadn't taken the hit Everglades City had, Naples was crying for FEMA.

Their power was out for the better part of a week, the prestigious Royal Palms that line their streets had blown over blocking their paths.
They couldn't get their Rolls Royce's to their country clubs for brunch....they found being one of our nations wealthiest communities didn't offer them shelter from a storm and also didn't get them priority with the power companies.

Their pussys were sore beyond belief, they whined and cried but they didn't hit the streets to help clear the roads, they didn't offer the workers free lunch, I just have to wonder why it took soooo long to get their power back on????

Miami? Well, puffft.....................................

Miami also lost power for the better part of a week, they saw 85 mph winds, I can piss that hard.....

They robbed and thieved in the dark and all was chaos.

I had a friend there, he had 3 generators stolen from him during the power outage.

First one was on his back deck and gone within an hour of him starting it. He fired up the second one but locked it in his garage, they waited until he left the house the next day to steal that one.

He managed to buy a third but kept it locked in his van running in his driveway...they stole the van.....

Who cares what happens in Miami........................

September 2016

I still own some flood prone coastal Florida homes, I got hit with a storm surge in 2016, 21 inches of water in the house.

I was in Alaska at the time, had some friends that went over and took the wet schit outta this house and opened the windows....

I left Alaska a few days after the storm had hit (Hurricane Hermine) and proceeded to Montana for a few weeks, it was early elk.....

By the time I got around to going to this flooded home the front door was covered with notices from FEMA, call us, call us, we have help for you....
I just blew it off, did what I needed to do to get the rehab under way and kept going..
About a week later I was there working and there was a knock at the door..

It was a young guy from FEMA, he wanted to see the inside of the house.

I wanted nothing to do with him, I figured they would be considering condemning the place or something but by then I had the place in pretty good order and he was a persistent little prick.

I let him in, he brought an IPad and a laser tape measure. He wouldn't talk except to ask me if I had a TV in each room he entered. I left him alone.

About 20 minutes went by and he came and asked me where I was living, I told him I was back on the mainland in a house, he asked if it was a rental, I said yeah but I owned it.

He was making me more than nervous, his next line of questioning was over the top.
He wanted my SS and banking info. I paused but by that point didn't have much of an out.

As he left he said I would be hearing from them within a week.

In 4 days there was a deposit for 10's of thousands of dollars made to the checking account I had given him.

I was dumbfounded, I let the money sit for a couple of months, FEMA kept calling me.
First, they wanted me to get a SBA loan @1% to make the home flood proof, it'd take like $50K, I told them I wasn't interested, this was just a winter fish camp for me.
They kept calling, first it was an inquiry to see if I needed more rent money and of course they always mentioned the possibility of a SBA loan, I turned them down on everything, told them I wasn't even employed and probably wouldn't qualify for their loan just to blow them off.

They said if I didn't qualify for the loan they would just give me a grant....

These calls went on for almost a year, I always thanked them for what they had done but wasn't interested in any of their gracious offers of free cash.

The last call finally came and they just laid it out to me. They said when they sent me the first money a $50K account had been opened in my name and there was a residual balance and the easiest way to close out the account was to apply the money to my needs......

I told them right then and there to do what they do when they don't do than and not call back.....

This is what is wrong with FEMA, it's their method of application of their programs.
I was left feeling like I had be reversed mugged.

It's harder to avoid their free cash than to take it....

But take it I did, the first money they put in my account anyway.
I finally took the money outta the bank and bought another flooded waterfront house with it that a old retired guy didn't want to mess with drying out, he sold it for a song, he was just overwhelmed by what he thought it'd take to fix it and he'd collected from his insurance company for it anyway.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,944
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.