-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is one area where I think the European manufacturers are ahead of American rifle makers, for two reasons. First, legal magazine capacity can vary from country to country over there, so detachable magazines are standard in many rifles, to make it easy to comply.

If the videos of driven boar hunting are typical of Euro-hunting, DMs are the hot setup. Those boys (and girls) really sling some lead (or non-toxic, as required) at times. The guy on Wild Boar Fever can some-kinda flip that bolt!

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I like clips......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Am in my 80's and during my career I have owned quite a few rifles having detachable magazines. I have never lost a magazine nor found it necessary to carry more than one magazine when hunting. The only thing I have lost was the front sight hood from a Browning semi-auto. When considering the purchase of a new rifle the presence or absence of a DBM has never been one of my considerations. Had I lost a magazine then I would have to have continued the hunt with a single shot rifle. If anything this would just have made me more thoughtful before I pulled the trigger.

I guess some people are just ham fisted or unaware of their surroundings which allows them to lose parts of their equipment. I also guess these types are the ones who feel they need to be able to unleash a barrage of rounds in order to bring down a deer or other animal.

Jim

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

My wife also likes detachable magazines because she has enough arthritis in her hands to make top-loading a rifle magazine something of a pain in cold weather--which we get here. She really liked the system the Browning A-Bolt uses--a detachable magazine that snaps INSIDE a hinged floorplate, so it can't fall out during hunting.

Yes, I like that system too (and the rifle it is part of). It also allows easy top loading, for those not afflicted with the combination of arthritis and cold weather (ouch!).

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

Of interest, the Lee Enfield rifle featured a 10 rd. detachable magazine, but it was not to be removed. The rifle was originally single loaded and volley fired to control the fire sequencing to prevent troops from wasting ammunition. Magazine cutoffs were part of the design. Oxymoronic by today's thinking, but the generals of the day came from musket backgrounds, so the old fashioned thinking stuck around for awhile.

Actually, the British generals of the day often came from backgrounds in campaigning in various small wars, and the experience of the massive difficulties of maintaining supply to the troops. There are any number of examples of the massive logistical issues inherent to keeping a force supplied on campaign, especially when relying on bullock carts on unmade tracks. A concern about keeping ammunition up to the blokes at the pointy end, and hence ammunition expenditure, was therefore by no means irrational at the time the first .303 repeaters were adopted.

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
This is one area where I think the European manufacturers are ahead of American rifle makers, for two reasons. First, legal magazine capacity can vary from country to country over there, so detachable magazines are standard in many rifles, to make it easy to comply.

Second, hunters often have more income than the average citizen, because hunting over there tends to be more expensive, due to game usually being legally owned by the landowner. So essentially a hunter is buying the game. Because the typical hunter has more disposable income, they often demand better performance from their firearms then the average American--so won't put up with magazines that don't stay in place.

That said, the price of many European rifles is coming down, partly because the American rifle market is the largest in the world. Consequently they're started making rifles that can at least compete with the higher-priced range of "affordable" American rifles. Have tested several of these models, and overall their detachable magazines work very well. One good example is the magazine in my 7mm Remington Magnum Mauser M18, another polymer magazine, appropriate because the M18 is a polymer-stocked rifle.It not only stays firmly in place and works very well, but holds 5 rounds yet fits flush with the bottom of the stock--and can be reloaded from the top.

Have tested several so-called long-range hunting rifles (often pretty pricey) made by American companies that, of course, had detachable magazines that didn't always stay in place, often because the release lever jutted way below the magazine, which also jutted way below the stock. Many of those magazines did not feed very well, either, either right from the get-go or after a few dozen rounds, because they were made of relatively flimsy stampings. Which of course was often a problem with Remington's detachable magazines for the 760/7600/740/7400.

My old 788 had one and never had a problem. Back in the day the biggest argument against them was having one fall out unnoticed and you lost it. I never once experienced anything like that. Yeah, you can lose one, but you can also have your hinged floor plate come unlatched and lose all your back up rounds turning your rifle into a single shot. Everything has a fly in the soup somewhere.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by mmgravy
I like clips......

Oh you will go to hell for sinning on here. Clips is not the PC term for detachable magazines,
LOL!

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by dan_oz

Of interest, the Lee Enfield rifle featured a 10 rd. detachable magazine, but it was not to be removed. The rifle was originally single loaded and volley fired to control the fire sequencing to prevent troops from wasting ammunition. Magazine cutoffs were part of the design. Oxymoronic by today's thinking, but the generals of the day came from musket backgrounds, so the old fashioned thinking stuck around for awhile.

Actually, the British generals of the day often came from backgrounds in campaigning in various small wars, and the experience of the massive difficulties of maintaining supply to the troops. There are any number of examples of the massive logistical issues inherent to keeping a force supplied on campaign, especially when relying on bullock carts on unmade tracks. A concern about keeping ammunition up to the blokes at the pointy end, and hence ammunition expenditure, was therefore by no means irrational at the time the first .303 repeaters were adopted.

Gee, I guess that's why fire sequencing and ammunition waste were a concern. Oxymoronic by today's thinking. Wait a minute, I already said that...

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by dan_oz

Gee, I guess that's why fire sequencing and ammunition waste were a concern. Oxymoronic by today's thinking. Wait a minute, I already said that...

Actually, you claimed it was due to "old fashioned thinking", and generals from "musket backgrounds", implying that the idea was obsolete ab initio. You also misused "oxymoronic".

There were good reasons at the time the Lee rifles were adopted - and indeed for a while after - for concern about keeping up the ammunition supply to soldiers armed with repeaters.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B3

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Wait until the oxymorons have advanced to in front of the trench and then present them with volley fire.

Q: What were those old obsolete ab initios chambered in? I occasionally see them for sale online. Can you still get ammo for them?

But seriously. . .

Last edited by shaman; 05/21/20.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shaman
Is it just me, or are detachable mags are an unnecessary PIA?....

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Used to think they were right there with sliced bread until I got a deer hunting rifle with one - added nothing of substance. And hunting with my cousin who had a habit of misplacing the damned thing. Or buggering up the feed lips. I'm sure I'd change my mind if the deer ever start shooting back - they have their place. And then there's the Mannlicher style en bloc clips which are kinda fun. Well, if the Hungarian M-95 didn't kick like a mule with surplus ammo anyway. Rumored to have been loaded hot to function reliably in machine guns.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never lost one, did leave one in the house once.
Bet I was the only guy around .with a single shot pump.

Blind, hinged, detachable. Really doesn't matter too much to me.
If I hunted with the big gangs and was in and out of a truck
all day, it would. I dont.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I don't like detachable mags for big game rifles, something else to lose or fall out in the field. I don't like blind magazines either because of the problems with clearing a jam, in my opinion a serious big game rifle should have a floorplate. For the loading and unloading I keep one less round in the magazine than it holds then load one when hunting and before climbing down I unload then round & push it back into the magazine. It stays that way until the end of the season or if I shoot something a round gets replenished.

My prairie dog rifles are a different story, I want detachable magazines there. Having a couple of loaded magazines sitting on the bench is a big help when the shooting gets hot.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
All my favorite guns run clips

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
In W.V. you are not allowed to have a loaded firearm ( except a CCW ) in or on any motorized vehicle, not even laying on a tailgate or leaning against a tire while eating lunch. That includes ATV's and the like. A detachable mag can make it a little more convenient if you want to change areas or ride the four wheeler to another area. I usually don't do either so it isn't a big deal to me other than just being a stupid law in general. I don't own any center fires with a detachable mag. The only one I ever owned was a Browning A bolt and I did like that system, just not much else about the rifle.

I have not lost a mag from any rimfires that I remember but I have found the mag ready to fall out of a 10/22 with an extended release. For that reason even the Ruger American .17 Hmr got changed to a flush release from a 10/22. I do prefer a mag to fit flush with the bottom of the stock. That is for both aesthetic reasons and comfort/ ease of carrying.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I prefer them. Much easier to work with when traveling from ATV to tree stand. Faster/quieter load/unload, convenient and don't have a pocket full of bullets rattling around. On the subject of losing them, I wrap/paint mine bright orange. Same thing with other things I don't want to lose in the woods. My buddies gave me shìt for it until they lose a knife, mag, compass.....

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I like the detachable mags on my Tikka.They feed so smooth because of being a inline mag. Detachable mags seem to enhance accuracy.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting posts. Agree with DanOz and others re having unloaded rifle in vehicle and the need to load and unload several, and sometimes many times in a day.

I want flush bottoms on the “clip” and prefer ability to load from the top when in the rifle. I would not have a .22 rifle without a detachable mag, because about all we use them for is grouse and nearly 100% of our grouse are shot as incidentals while driving from one big game spot to another. Ie. see grouse, jump out, pop in mag and shoot from one to maybe four grouse or more. Tube mag is the worst for that kind of grouse shooting.

Mag capacity is irrelevant to me and due to problems feeding the first round in many rifles, for hunting I load one less than mag capacity in all my rifles. So my four round capacity mags are loaded with 3 whether detachable or not.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
Am in my 80's and during my career I have owned quite a few rifles having detachable magazines. I have never lost a magazine nor found it necessary to carry more than one magazine when hunting. The only thing I have lost was the front sight hood from a Browning semi-auto. When considering the purchase of a new rifle the presence or absence of a DBM has never been one of my considerations. Had I lost a magazine then I would have to have continued the hunt with a single shot rifle. If anything this would just have made me more thoughtful before I pulled the trigger.

I guess some people are just ham fisted or unaware of their surroundings which allows them to lose parts of their equipment. I also guess these types are the ones who feel they need to be able to unleash a barrage of rounds in order to bring down a deer or other animal.

Jim

I applaud you, Sir. You allow me to look forward to my 80's.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

250 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 22 invisible), 1,697 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,985
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.