Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jim wants about 170 bucks and return shipping to install the safety on my 03A3 and said it will lock the bolt down and he said he uses the Wisner Safety. It is similar to the 3 position Mod. 70 safeties most of our hunting rifles have. I am not going to buy one and try and do the install and only one or two guys in my hick Alaskan town would attempt it and that would probably take 3 months. Jim said he could have the rifle back before the Youth Caribou hunt with my two grand sons, so it is money well spent for a great memory.

I just could not stand the thought of my old hunting rifle ending up being sold cheap at a garage sale. For sure this has not been the cheapest route to go. LOL

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I heard it said that a Loony had a nightmare.

He dreamed he had passed and his wife was selling his guns for what he told her he paid for them... blush

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
The problem with the Mark II and the Buehler/Timney is that they rotate the wrong direction in order to place them on the right side of the bolt. I've installed a couple Mark IIs on Mausers and and still have one on my Siamese .45-70. A good bump on the bolt and all of them would lift and move off safe. Not sure who the makers are, but the ones that fit on the left side of the bolt will not rotate off safe if the bolt is lifted because the bolt rotation forces it towards the "on" position not "off" like the one that fit on the right side. There's a nice case hardened one for a Springfield on eBay

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tmitch
The problem with the Mark II and the Buehler/Timney is that they rotate the wrong direction in order to place them on the right side of the bolt. I've installed a couple Mark IIs on Mausers and and still have one on my Siamese .45-70. A good bump on the bolt and all of them would lift and move off safe. Not sure who the makers are, but the ones that fit on the left side of the bolt will not rotate off safe if the bolt is lifted because the bolt rotation forces it towards the "on" position not "off" like the one that fit on the right side. There's a nice case hardened one for a Springfield on eBay

Yep, it appears it's hit or miss, and just a few thousandths separates a right hand side Buehler or Mark II from one that locks the bolt always, to one that will pop off with a hard hit on the bolt, to one that will pop off with normal bolt lift.

Cheers,
Rex

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 2,963 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,383
Posts18,469,596
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.