Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
What "laziness" will get you. A little over a year ago I separated out on of my RI Red chickens from the rest of the flock. Rooster was really hard on her, spurs tore up her feathers on her back. Couple of the other hens ganged up and pecked her head while he mounted her. Easiest fix I saw was to just separate her out and give her space by herself. Didn't want to eat her as she was my most dependable layer. This time of year 6 or so eggs a week.

Built her a little hooch next to the other chicken yard out of pallets and a box for her at night. Worried over the year about something getting in at night, and kept putting off covering it with chicken wire or even putting a door on her box and having to shut it every night and open it every morning.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Woke up to this yesterday:

couple of tiny pieces of "meat" attached to some feathers, but no chicken, or bones.

Muddy smears, no clear track, smallish pad marks, on the roof of her hootch showing where something likely took her out:

We live pretty rural, lots of critters in the area. Very few raccoons here , 2 miles down the road where there's a reservoir perhaps, not so many up here in the sagebrush. Have seen bobcats within a half mile of the house, that could be a possibility. Certainly a coyote, they come through pretty regular. Weasel? maybe. There are lions and bear nearby too. Neighbor's house cat? Figured if it was that it might have tried to eat it there and not carried it away. Must ahve been big enough to clear a pallet to get in, then drag a 3-lb chicken out with it going the other way.

So, I took my Breeze out with me to try to trail it, for a whippet he has a decent nose. Found a few feathers with small piece of skin/meat about 75' from the coop, tracked along out back a bit, lost track, came back and found her head across the west branch of our seasonal creek, 50' or so from the few feathers we had found, with the trail headed east across the major part of the creek.

no tracks visible in the crusted over mud/dirt/rock, so I'm still at a loss as to the perp.

So, last night at sundown I put out the trail cam, hoping whatever it was might come back.

10:07 last night, an hour after a house cat had come around, I got a few pics of this guy. It came back around 0100 this morning too. Good thing the other chicken yard is well built, or I might have to go nighttime hunting:

Haven't seen but one fox in the area, much closer to town, since we moved here in fall '16. Makes sense they're around tho, even considering the trail cam hasn't caught on in the other places I've had it out.

The other thing that bothers me, the night it happened I was sleeping in the little bed as my back has been bothering me. Breeze was with me, woke me around 0100-0200, ran to the dog door which we keep closed, I flipped on the spot light out there which points toward the chickens, looked out the window and didn't see anything, heard the 'yotes making noise 1/4 mile away of so and figured that's what woke him. Now I think he heard that damn fox getting my Rosita. I should learn to trust him better, couple summers back he alerted on a badger at the chicken yard fence. It didn't make it very far away, it wouldn't leave when I went out there. Tenacity has its drawbacks I guess.

Oh well, this will make it easier on me now, and especially my wife when I go hunting. No taking care of two chicken yards any more. One less egg a day means I don't have to try to find someone to barter with for eggs either.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good job of finding out what happened.

We had chickens for a long time and one day they were all gone.

Found out we had a bunch of grey foxes that liked our place.

They didn't last long and found out that the 300 win mag is to much gun for a fox hide. grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad
What "laziness" will get you. A little over a year ago I separated out on of my RI Red chickens from the rest of the flock. Rooster was really hard on her, spurs tore up her feathers on her back. Couple of the other hens ganged up and pecked her head while he mounted her. Easiest fix I saw was to just separate her out and give her space by herself. Didn't want to eat her as she was my most dependable layer. This time of year 6 or so eggs a week.

Built her a little hooch next to the other chicken yard out of pallets and a box for her at night. Worried over the year about something getting in at night, and kept putting off covering it with chicken wire or even putting a door on her box and having to shut it every night and open it every morning.

Woke up to this yesterday:

couple of tiny pieces of "meat" attached to some feathers, but no chicken, or bones.

Muddy smears, no clear track, smallish pad marks, on the roof of her hootch showing where something likely took her out:

We live pretty rural, lots of critters in the area. Very few raccoons here , 2 miles down the road where there's a reservoir perhaps, not so many up here in the sagebrush. Have seen bobcats within a half mile of the house, that could be a possibility. Certainly a coyote, they come through pretty regular. Weasel? maybe. There are lions and bear nearby too. Neighbor's house cat? Figured if it was that it might have tried to eat it there and not carried it away. Must ahve been big enough to clear a pallet to get in, then drag a 3-lb chicken out with it going the other way.

So, I took my Breeze out with me to try to trail it, for a whippet he has a decent nose. Found a few feathers with small piece of skin/meat about 75' from the coop, tracked along out back a bit, lost track, came back and found her head across the west branch of our seasonal creek, 50' or so from the few feathers we had found, with the trail headed east across the major part of the creek.

no tracks visible in the crusted over mud/dirt/rock, so I'm still at a loss as to the perp.

So, last night at sundown I put out the trail cam, hoping whatever it was might come back.

10:07 last night, an hour after a house cat had come around, I got a few pics of this guy. It came back around 0100 this morning too. Good thing the other chicken yard is well built, or I might have to go nighttime hunting:

Haven't seen but one fox in the area, much closer to town, since we moved here in fall '16. Makes sense they're around tho, even considering the trail cam hasn't caught on in the other places I've had it out.

The other thing that bothers me, the night it happened I was sleeping in the little bed as my back has been bothering me. Breeze was with me, woke me around 0100-0200, ran to the dog door which we keep closed, I flipped on the spot light out there which points toward the chickens, looked out the window and didn't see anything, heard the 'yotes making noise 1/4 mile away of so and figured that's what woke him. Now I think he heard that damn fox getting my Rosita. I should learn to trust him better, couple summers back he alerted on a badger at the chicken yard fence. It didn't make it very far away, it wouldn't leave when I went out there. Tenacity has its drawbacks I guess.

Oh well, this will make it easier on me now, and especially my wife when I go hunting. No taking care of two chicken yards any more. One less egg a day means I don't have to try to find someone to barter with for eggs either.

Swear George hasn't been out of the house.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Good job of finding out what happened.

We had chickens for a long time and one day they were all gone.

Found out we had a bunch of grey foxes that liked our place.

They didn't last long and found out that the 300 win mag is to much gun for a fox hide. grin

300 Winmag on a fox?

eek

did it way overpenetrate? wink

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A grey fox has gotta be the prettiest chicken-killer there is, sorry about the chicken, do you keep the rooster for the music?

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Swear George hasn't been out of the house.

Funny, but that was one of the first things I thought of.

Roger gonna be telling me......."Don't blame George" laugh

In it is contentment

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wife feeds a family of grey fox here. We've done that for years. Just table scraps, old bread, etc.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

They didn't mess with our chickens.

I think my wife prefers the fox to the chickens. grin

Did have a hawk kill a hen last year. Damn hawk flew right inside the coop. I slammed the door on him.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Lots of greys around here and never a problem with my banties..They roosted high in the pine tree in the front yard..

Then the Great Horned owl found them..

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
A grey fox has gotta be the prettiest chicken-killer there is, sorry about the chicken, do you keep the rooster for the music?

I keep the rooster because.................................

I have chickens!

I may want to let one of the hens sit, when it's time to start thinking about replacements.

And Music!

He is an excellent watchdog for the girls too. The other morning, feeding them in their yard, I was bent over filling the water or something and he set up to "growling". Don't know what else to call it. I stood up, looked around to see if there was a 'yote nearby, or if Dandee the wonder puppy was at the fence. Nope, nothing at ground level. Look up, maybe a quarter mile to the south, and 500' above ground level, was a turkey vulture gaining altitude.

I've seen/heard him do it when other birds are over head nearby too. Marsh hawks (don't correct me! wink grin ), Cooper's, and red tails.

And he's an ugly cuss. I call him El Feo.

Here he is as a real youngster, on the left:

A better pic, but still not too good. I can't find the good ones:

and here you can see why I separated out Rosita, you can see the feathers missing on her back:

In it is contentment

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Fox got some of my daughters chickens last year in broad daylight

Last edited by hanco; 05/25/20.
IC B3

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Santiam
Lots of greys around here and never a problem with my banties..They roosted high in the pine tree in the front yard..

Then the Great Horned owl found them..

When we lived over on the coast in the 90's we kept chickens. Let them sit on a coupla broods. Once, we got six to hatch, 3 roosters in that bunch. When they got older my "little red rooster" kicked them out of the coop. The roosted in the redwoods.................

until the owl got them.

In it is contentment

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hanco
Fox got some of my daughters chickens last year in broad daylight

That's not good.

Is it still alive?

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G,
I haven’t read the entire thread yet...Sounds like you need Beaver to come down and rectify this problem for you while you sip on sweet tea...I might have to run my Seal 6 night vision gears....Hint. 😬😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think coons kill more chickens than anything else around here.

The coon numbers are off the charts since the fur values tanked.

Way too many coons.

But I try and do my part to keep them in check. I'll shoot/trap them all, and in a couple months more coons move in.. It's a never ending cycle. Kinda like hogs.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Question, Neighbor has chickens that run wild through out their 3 acre backyard,

Numerous hawks in the area but none that I know of have ever killed one of those chickens,

Why so?

They do keep a large dog inside the fence, he the Hawk protection?

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Mine run loose every afternoon and we even have golden eagles around . We have multiple types of hawks and owls around, and as for the owls, I sometimes don't get the girls and El Feo back inside until nearly sundown, and the owls are getting active by then.

haven't lost a bird.......................yet.

In it is contentment

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Question, Neighbor has chickens that run wild through out their 3 acre backyard,

Numerous hawks in the area but none that I know of have ever killed one of those chickens,

Why so?

They do keep a large dog inside the fence, he the Hawk protection?

could just be luck...........or the hawks are well fed on other critters.

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Wife feeds a family of grey fox here. We've done that for years. Just table scraps, old bread, etc.

They didn't mess with our chickens.

I think my wife prefers the fox to the chickens. grin

Did have a hawk kill a hen last year. Damn hawk flew right inside the coop. I slammed the door on him.

Dead hawk right there.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Dang Val, if that's your chicken yard in the picture, it's a wonder you have any chickens at all. You must have some well fed varmits there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice work!

This is the only chicken killer we've had issues with over the years.

Last edited by SockPuppet; 05/25/20.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10Glocks, 22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 68 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,976
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.