Old pepper seeds do not do well.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by ipopum
The story of seeds from ancient Egypt is true as far as I know.

The seeds were a type of wheat . It looks like a cross between rye and wheat. It has been grown in north central Montana for many years.

Also there is a story about honey taken from a tomb that was still good.

Stranger than fiction. Maybe

That’s triticale.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco
Do Mary Jane seeds keep well?
the gray ones with tiger stripes do

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by ipopum
The story of seeds from ancient Egypt is true as far as I know.

The seeds were a type of wheat . It looks like a cross between rye and wheat. It has been grown in north central Montana for many years.

Also there is a story about honey taken from a tomb that was still good.

Stranger than fiction. Maybe
That’s triticale.
There's several.
http://nerdymillennial.com/list-of-ancient-wheat-varieties/

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by slumlord

That’s what I have!!

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Seeds can stay viable a long time under the right conditions. Years ago I worked for a seed company. There was a large cellar under the building that they used for seed storage. One day the warehouse manager came in with a bag of about 20lb of carrot seed that he'd found in a back corner. The lot # showed that it was nearly 40 years old. The boss had me run a germ test on it and I got a 65% germination.

Tetrazolium or wet blotter?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
wet blotter

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

That’s what I have!!

Aight, them are good

Because that’s what I was gonna mail you 😃

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One year an Oneida Indian sent us some traditional Iroquois White Hominy corn, an heirloom 8-row corn variety, kernels as big as beans and origins going back forever. Not the sort of thing you can find at Home Depot.

It grew and produced really well. Due to limited garden space at school I put some aside in the classroom, about 100 kernels. They stayed dry but four years later nary a one would germinate. I did get pretty warm in school over the summer vacation, but beans and squash kept under those conditions just fine. If I woulda known I woulda kept 'em in a refrigerator.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Judean date palm seeds have sprouted and they're off and running:

https://www.ancient-origins.net/new...resurrected-ancient-seeds-now-dad-002838

Ten years since the Judean Date Palm was miraculously brought back to life following the chance discovery of seeds in the 2,000-year-old ruins of Masada, the male date palm tree named Methuselah, the only one of his kind, has become a father.

For thousands of years, the date palm was a staple crop in the Kingdom of Judea, as it was a source of food, shelter and shade. Thick forests of the palms towering up to 80 feet and spreading for 7 miles covered the Jordan River valley from the Sea of Galilee in the north to the shores of the Dead Sea in the south.

So valued was the tree that it became a recognized as a symbol of good fortune in Judea. It is chronicled in the Bible, Quran and ancient literature for its diverse powers, from an aphrodisiac to a contraceptive, and as a cure for a wide range of diseases including cancer, malaria and toothache.

However, its value was also the source of its demise and eventual extinction. The tree so defined the local economy that it became a prime resource for the invading Roman army to destroy. Once the Roman Empire took control of the kingdom in 70 AD, the date palms were wiped out in an attempt to cripple the Jewish economy. They eventually succeeded and by 500 AD the once plentiful palm had completely disappeared, driven to extinction for the sake of conquest.

But all was not lost, because in 1963, the late archeologist Yigael Yadin began excavating Masada, a mountaintop fortress built over 2,000 years ago on the shore of the Dead Sea where King Herod built a spectacular palace. Masada was the last stand of a small band of Jewish rebels who held out against three Roman legions for several years before committing mass suicide in A.D. 73.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My neighbor became a father at 63 years of age.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve had seeds ten years, they came up fine.

My seed packs should come with a skull & crossbones. Can't grow chit. I buy seedlings. laugh

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I have some pot seeds from 1972.......

will they grow ?

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Seeds can stay viable a long time under the right conditions. Years ago I worked for a seed company. There was a large cellar under the building that they used for seed storage. One day the warehouse manager came in with a bag of about 20lb of carrot seed that he'd found in a back corner. The lot # showed that it was nearly 40 years old. The boss had me run a germ test on it and I got a 65% germination.

Thats awesome.

I have a full tote crat filled with seeds that I grabbed from a Local HS exactly 10 years ago. They were purging their refrigerators for the summer and in typical wasteful fashion they were tossing a ton of plants and seeds. I took some plants and took every seed.

Lots of peas, but also grass seed (used it this year) tomoats, kale, brocoli, spinach, lots of basil, some alyssum and other flowres... I figured it was my 'just in case" stash.

Sealed in airless zip locked bags in a plastic tote crate, cooler and dry. Hope the ziplock thing was a good idea.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I buy all my seed at the end of summer. Our Co-Op puts out on the sidewalk for 90% OFF

about a 1/4 of a one my 14cuft freezers is nothing but bulk garden seed.

Walmart sacks of varieties of seeds. Several Walmart bags.

corn, beans, cukes, melons, spinach, lettuce, okra, collards, seven tops, kale,
When it’s 90% off, that’s practically free. I just buy a lot.

I have stuff I’ll probably never plant, like rattlesnake peas, purple hulls, got several lbs of that. Thought I’d plant that in a wild life plot.
Hulling/shelling peas is fuggin retarded and unproductive.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Judean date palm seeds have sprouted and they're off and running:

https://www.ancient-origins.net/new...resurrected-ancient-seeds-now-dad-002838

Ten years since the Judean Date Palm was miraculously brought back to life following the chance discovery of seeds in the 2,000-year-old ruins of Masada, the male date palm tree named Methuselah, the only one of his kind, has become a father.

For thousands of years, the date palm was a staple crop in the Kingdom of Judea, as it was a source of food, shelter and shade. Thick forests of the palms towering up to 80 feet and spreading for 7 miles covered the Jordan River valley from the Sea of Galilee in the north to the shores of the Dead Sea in the south.

So valued was the tree that it became a recognized as a symbol of good fortune in Judea. It is chronicled in the Bible, Quran and ancient literature for its diverse powers, from an aphrodisiac to a contraceptive, and as a cure for a wide range of diseases including cancer, malaria and toothache.

However, its value was also the source of its demise and eventual extinction. The tree so defined the local economy that it became a prime resource for the invading Roman army to destroy. Once the Roman Empire took control of the kingdom in 70 AD, the date palms were wiped out in an attempt to cripple the Jewish economy. They eventually succeeded and by 500 AD the once plentiful palm had completely disappeared, driven to extinction for the sake of conquest.

But all was not lost, because in 1963, the late archeologist Yigael Yadin began excavating Masada, a mountaintop fortress built over 2,000 years ago on the shore of the Dead Sea where King Herod built a spectacular palace. Masada was the last stand of a small band of Jewish rebels who held out against three Roman legions for several years before committing mass suicide in A.D. 73.

I've been to masada and it's a pretty impressive place. Most of the huge siege ramp the Roman's built is still in place. There are some huge cisterns cut in up top. Big spiral staircases going down into them. Its amazing to see.

Bb

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I buy all my seed at the end of summer. Our Co-Op puts out on the sidewalk for 90% OFF

about a 1/4 of a one my 14cuft freezers is nothing but bulk garden seed.

Walmart sacks of varieties of seeds. Several Walmart bags.

corn, beans, cukes, melons, spinach, lettuce, okra, collards, seven tops, kale,
When it’s 90% off, that’s practically free. I just buy a lot.

I have stuff I’ll probably never plant, like rattlesnake peas, purple hulls, got several lbs of that. Thought I’d plant that in a wild life plot.
Hulling/shelling peas is fuggin retarded and unproductive.

What are good peas to grow? I've got to plant some in the next few days. I planted 20 tomato plants tonight.

Bb

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 280shooter, 2ndwind, 26 invisible), 2,188 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,892
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.