Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob wire fence stretcher.

Any chance you grandfather was a teacher of some sort and this was made to illustrate basic mechanics of gearing?
Or a sales prop for someone to show clients?

All in all I have no clue.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
GB4

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
No idea, but the vertical plate between the gear mechanism and the spool Looks like it is made to slide out without much effort. I wonder if the whole rig is made to slide out to change different spools for some purpose. That would allow for the spool appearing to be an independent part from the rest of the set up.
From the hole in the spool it looks like it would turn forward and down when the handles is turned. I wonder about the gear ratio too. It also looks like a dust cover or Id plate may have covered the gears at on time.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
As someone already stated it started life as Victrola Guts....

What it is NOW, you would need to ask the tinkerer....

[Linked Image from image.invaluable.com]

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by milespatton
There is a special way one hand throws ( rolls up a steel tape ) by hand in a figure 8 shape then snaps it into a circular shape.

And if you do it up right handed, you better let it down right handed. Seems it would be more trouble than it would be worth for a measuring tape. Easy to put up and throw, by hand. miles

It ain't a surveying tool.

Not stout enough.

Surveyors would tear it up, strip the gears, and spill beer all inside... grin

Drunken Ruffians........... wink

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by muffin
As someone already stated it started life as Victrola Guts....

What it is NOW, you would need to ask the tinkerer....

That is pretty interesting. So If that’s it, the spool is not a direct drive from the crank. Instead Appears the crank loads a coil spring and the spool turns from the spring tension without having to turn the handle while Loading the spool. Somebody with a good imagination it looks like if it is indeed a repurpose effort.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
If you visit the factory, in Finland, they say "Welcome to Sock-Oh". Similarly, if you travel up the road a bit, you will hear "Welcome to Lap-Wah"

Poor Fins. You'd think someone would educate them on how to pronounce their words.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by wldthg
What Idaho_ Shooter said--- The first glance at the photo of the box reminded me of the old wooded boxes surveyors instruments were stored in. There is a special way one hand throws ( rolls up a steel tape ) by hand in a figure 8 shape then snaps it into a circular shape. This would just roll the tape up. The eye in the drum looks like it was made to accept the leather thong at the end of the tape.

Yep, that's what is called "throwing a chain". The steel tape was 66 feet in length, one chain. Ten square chains = one acre. A more modern surveyor might have used a hundred-footer. Now I think they all use lasers. Throwing a chain took a little practice, but once you got the hang of it it was easy. Key is to take up the chain in equal lengths before trying to throw it. No surveyor would have wanted or needed anything as convoluted as the OP's item in order to store a chain. A simple reel or throwing it would suffice.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I will take better pics of it and maybe a video if I can post it here.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
What Idaho_ Shooter said--- The first glance at the photo of the box reminded me of the old wooded boxes surveyors instruments were stored in. There is a special way one hand throws ( rolls up a steel tape ) by hand in a figure 8 shape then snaps it into a circular shape. This would just roll the tape up. The eye in the drum looks like it was made to accept the leather thong at the end of the tape.

Yep, that's what is called "throwing a chain". The steel tape was 66 feet in length, one chain. Ten square chains = one acre. A more modern surveyor might have used a hundred-footer. Now I think they all use lasers. Throwing a chain took a little practice, but once you got the hang of it it was easy. Key is to take up the chain in equal lengths before trying to throw it. No surveyor would have wanted or needed anything as convoluted as the OP's item in order to store a chain. A simple reel or throwing it would suffice.

Now they all use GPS. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
Bob wire fence stretcher.

Any chance you grandfather was a teacher of some sort and this was made to illustrate basic mechanics of gearing?
Or a sales prop for someone to show clients?

All in all I have no clue.

It's too flimsy for a wire stretcher. For a good tight wire, I have one of these that's been in the family for many years. It's not on the original rope.
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

These also work very well although with this you have to pull most of the slack out before you can hook it up. The block and tackle will pull a lot more slack.
[Linked Image from cdn.shopify.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Miles---- Yes once ya get the hang of it it's easy, but there is someone always wanting to reinvent the wheel.
Looks handmade -- Gurley would not put out anything that rough.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A rotary motion redirector.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
With the optional force compounder.

Clearly. Duh.

LOL
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go

Now they all use GPS. wink

That's probably right. Another way for them to get away with not marking the lines. Take the easiest roundabout route to set or locate the corners, then the person needing to know where the line runs has to hire another surveyor or run it himself using good ol' bearings and distances.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Left handed Zip wheel

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It's a Turbo Encabulator

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It’s a flux’s capacitor???

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

It is a "Space Box".

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Ancient Alien theorists say that it was accidently left behind after a UFO landed. Accidentally dropped by a Martian.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by arkypete
Clothesline reel.

Depending on the size of the box, I was thinking field Communications wire real.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

694 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 153, 160user, 10ring1, 71 invisible), 2,856 guests, and 1,430 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,974
Posts18,480,751
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.