Page 1 of 2 1 2
Q
Quak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Q
Hey Guys,

I’m very knowledgeable about tires as a group and a family auto business that sold them however these tires were not on the market at that time. In my mind the gold standard has always been the BF good rich all terrain and that’s what I am currently running. I have heard some reports that the Goodyear is a longer lasting tire. It certainly has a nice appearance but I am concerned about the treadwear and road noise compared to the BFG. Does anybody have experience running these. I’ve been getting about 70k on the bfg tires.

GOD Bless America

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have a set on my wife's Pathfinder, and as they have worn the road noise has gotten noticeably louder. I run BFGs on my truck so I have a direct comparison. The Duratracs also have a reputation for the sidewalls being not as strong. That has not been an issue for us even after wheeling with the Pathfinder in some pretty rocky places. I still like them ok, but not sure I'll buy them again when they wear out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've run them. Would NEVER do so again.

They have incredibly weak sidewalls. In AZ's sharp rocks, I managed to run 16 years on my last Tacoma without a flat with different tires. About the third extended trip out I lost 3 Duracrap tires to sidewall punctures and gashes during the course of a one week elk hunt. Lost one to a pencil diameter wet stick through the sidewall. Bought them when they were still a new tire and didn't have a lot of information out there about them. My bad. They seemed like a perfect compromise between an AT and an MT.

Those were the "c" rated tires. Sidewalls were incredibly thin and flimsy. As thin or weak as the Bridgestone "HT's (Highway Terrain) I took off the truck which were factory tires. Not sure how much (or if) the "e" rated tires would fare. But if you google "duratrac weak sidewalls" you'll have all the info you need.

They also got quite noisy as time wore on, showed excessive chunking and cupping.

I've run BFG AT's (long time ago), Goodyear Duratracs, and more recently Goodyear MTR's, Bridgestone MT's (previous go to tire), Firestone MT's (bought reluctantly after Bridgestone discontinued the MT in my size), and am currently running Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx.

Of all of them, the ST Maxx has turned out to be my favorite tire, and I see no reason to go any other way from here on out. If they keep making them, I'll keep buying them. Like the Duratrac, good compromise between an AT and an MT, siped, and ready to accept studs if you want them. Of all of them, I believe them to be the quietest aggressive tire I've run (with the exception of the BFG AT's when they were newer). They do well in rain, highway, dirt and mud....but no experience in snow or ice yet. And they take a beating in the rocks well.

A bit stiffer since they're only available in "e" rated, but don't even notice anymore.

If you're not going in the dirt, I think the duratracs are a good road and snow tire if you rotate frequently. But they will get noisier even with that.

If you get off road, and in places where you're hard to get to or where tire failures mean being stranded or a long walk out, I would pass.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Check out the Falken wild peak at3w, very very good reviews. I’ll be running them come this fall.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Had Duratracs as the OEM tires on my 2019 Power Wagon. At the onset, they were fairly loud for an AT tire and as load range D tires, were pretty terrible in terms of handling and tracking on a 2500 truck.

After two on-road punctures, including a flat 5/8" bolt that went straight through a tread block, and getting significantly louder in the first 10,000 miles, they came off and BFG ATs went on.

I've had BFG AT or MT on my last 6 trucks without issue. Did a 1200 mile round trip last week and the BFG ATs were better in every way (noise, handling, tracking).

I wouldn't run Duratracs again if YOU were buying them for me.

Last edited by AK416; 05/27/20.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had one of the first set in Texas then went on a 9k mile road trip throughout the US and Canada. As soon as I got back I took them off, they were noisier by the mile, weren't too swift on ice, wet pavement, and not great on muddy trails either.

I’m on slick pavement and off pavement all year long and my favorites are a Michelin LTX, General Grabber AP, or Firestone Destination AT. Basically just plain old street tires for roads, improved surfaces, and trails.

I think the mechanical traction options are more important than tires.

What you choose for all sand, rocks, and deep mud (completely off road) is a different story where tires are concerned.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 05/27/20.
Q
Quak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Q
Well fwiw my current all terrains have been great. Load range e ona. Tacoma. I’ve got 50k on em and they will see about 70k by the time I replace them. Great performance on and off road and they have stayed quiet.

I had just heard some really good mileage claims for the duratrak

GOD Bless America
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A sight to behold is a Locked-N-Cocked Jeep with duratracs slide off a mountain road whilst a Subaru drives up without spinning a tire.

Q
Quak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Q
Subaru’s are impressive off road but they have no armor and no ground clearance

And of course the gays bother me

GOD Bless America
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I tried the Duratrac on my 3500 RAM diesel. For that application they sucked. One of the few flat tires I have ever had, wore down quick and weren't that good in the snow. Surprisingly the Kelly Safari TSR (a similar tire) is holding up much better and handles snow better. And mud for that matter. When I see people praising them it is on lite vehicles and/or when they are brand new.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I've been looking at both these tires and it seems like the internet is about evenly divided about which one is better, so far as I can tell.

Interesting that those who have used the Duratracs here on the 'Fire are leaning against.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Been running 10 ply Duratracs on a 2011 F250 since it left the lot. Not one failure if any kind. They have gotten us into and out of the ranch we manage in winter when we shouldn't have. That truck has been down some extreme roads around the ranch and up in the mountains, granite country. Again, not a failure.
Do they last 60,000 miles, no way but it's all we run on that truck and it travels all winter through some nasty conditions. Gets great traction in our snow and good enough in mud.
Pretty much see them all over town on trucks, they are a big seller for our part of the country.
They are an aggressive tread pattern so yes they are not quiet. Get 10 ply, E, if you get them.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Quak
Well fwiw my current all terrains have been great. Load range e ona. Tacoma. I’ve got 50k on em and they will see about 70k by the time I replace them. Great performance on and off road and they have stayed quiet.

I had just heard some really good mileage claims for the duratrak

I run duratrac on my f350.....i like them..1st you have to compare apples to apples.....you cant compare.....not you personally....a load range c...to an e....my truck handles fine not squishy feeling.

you will get a lot more mileage on a light truck vs a heavy truck......they have been good off-road for me......snow..ice..mud.....i run 2 pairs...1 studs and siped...the other stock..

i will buy them again...bob

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by DaveR
I've run them. Would NEVER do so again.

They have incredibly weak sidewalls. In AZ's sharp rocks, I managed to run 16 years on my last Tacoma without a flat with different tires. About the third extended trip out I lost 3 Duracrap tires to sidewall punctures and gashes during the course of a one week elk hunt. Lost one to a pencil diameter wet stick through the sidewall. Bought them when they were still a new tire and didn't have a lot of information out there about them. My bad. They seemed like a perfect compromise between an AT and an MT.

Those were the "c" rated tires. Sidewalls were incredibly thin and flimsy. As thin or weak as the Bridgestone "HT's (Highway Terrain) I took off the truck which were factory tires. Not sure how much (or if) the "e" rated tires would fare. But if you google "duratrac weak sidewalls" you'll have all the info you need.

They also got quite noisy as time wore on, showed excessive chunking and cupping.

I've run BFG AT's (long time ago), Goodyear Duratracs, and more recently Goodyear MTR's, Bridgestone MT's (previous go to tire), Firestone MT's (bought reluctantly after Bridgestone discontinued the MT in my size), and am currently running Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx.

Of all of them, the ST Maxx has turned out to be my favorite tire, and I see no reason to go any other way from here on out. If they keep making them, I'll keep buying them. Like the Duratrac, good compromise between an AT and an MT, siped, and ready to accept studs if you want them. Of all of them, I believe them to be the quietest aggressive tire I've run (with the exception of the BFG AT's when they were newer). They do well in rain, highway, dirt and mud....but no experience in snow or ice yet. And they take a beating in the rocks well.

A bit stiffer since they're only available in "e" rated, but don't even notice anymore.

If you're not going in the dirt, I think the duratracs are a good road and snow tire if you rotate frequently. But they will get noisier even with that.

If you get off road, and in places where you're hard to get to or where tire failures mean being stranded or a long walk out, I would pass.

not trying to be rude...but everything you wrote was a waste of time....you are comparing a c rated tire you had to the new e rated tire you have now......of course the sidewalls are stiffer on an e..

bob

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Currently 10k miles into the second set of E-rated Duratrac's on my 80 series Landcruiser. First set were loud when I changed them out, but at 72k miles, I was not upset. Also a 5 tire rotation.

That rig sees very little pavement, lots of high-speed washboard gravel and mountain two tracks. Also goes to Moab at least once a year to crawl around.

A couple flats, well deserved, no sidewall issues or uneven wear.

YMMV

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by wytex
Been running 10 ply Duratracs on a 2011 F250 since it left the lot. Not one failure if any kind. They have gotten us into and out of the ranch we manage in winter when we shouldn't have. That truck has been down some extreme roads around the ranch and up in the mountains, granite country. Again, not a failure.
Do they last 60,000 miles, no way but it's all we run on that truck and it travels all winter through some nasty conditions. Gets great traction in our snow and good enough in mud.
Pretty much see them all over town on trucks, they are a big seller for our part of the country.
They are an aggressive tread pattern so yes they are not quiet. Get 10 ply, E, if you get them.

there it is ......my experience also.....bob

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Backroads
Currently 10k miles into the second set of E-rated Duratrac's on my 80 series Landcruiser. First set were loud when I changed them out, but at 72k miles, I was not upset. Also a 5 tire rotation.

That rig sees very little pavement, lots of high-speed washboard gravel and mountain two tracks. Also goes to Moab at least once a year to crawl around.

A couple flats, well deserved, no sidewall issues or uneven wear.

YMMV

what gets me is these guys that talk about going offroad......then say they have a load range c.......if you are going offroad...you need a range e.....unless its sand.....bob

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
A sight to behold is a Locked-N-Cocked Jeep with duratracs slide off a mountain road whilst a Subaru drives up without spinning a tire.

jl....you seem like a nice guy....but that was an dumb comparison.....bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco

jl....you seem like a nice guy....but that was an dumb comparison.....bob

I think you are missing the point. Like already mentioned on here concerning “off road” and off pavement or slick pavement are different animals.

I wasn’t comparing the two because there is no comparison, a locked and cocked jeep works better on unimproved surfaces than a subaru and the subaru works better on improved surfaces. Someone above mentioned subarus “have no armor“. They shouldn’t need armor because they SUCK “offroad” and shouldn't be there.

I rarely anymore go off a surface where there is no trail or improved surface but most folk would mistake where I travel as “Off Road”. I know the diff but many don’t.

Since 90% of all driving is on some kinda improved surface from pavement to a blazed packed or loose trail, I’m just saying one should consider something that might save your life and get you there.

The kinda rubber you need for serious off roading abrasion resistance and tread absolutely suck driving up to the ski slope.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 05/27/20.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've never owned a set of Goodyear Tires I was pleased with....ever.

I've had far better service from Bridgestone or Michelin.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 19 invisible), 1,620 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,289
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.