Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
My mother was born in '17 and is still here, doing well. She was too young to remember WWI and the Spanish flu but she well remembers all the rest. Her older brother caught the flu and survived a temp of 110. It did make him slow learning the rest of his life. Mom was sent to live with relatives until he recovered. They lost a farm in the depression. Gpa had a good harvest in the barn but couldn't sell it for cash. There was no cash to be had. For the lack of $200 cash to pay the mortgage, they lost it. The lack of cash in circulation about destroyed the country.
Dad was navy during WWII. Mom has lots of war stories to tell.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My grandmother on my mother's side was born in 1901. They bought the first bicycle in the county! She was promptly denied communion for riding it to town. What a hussy!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I left to go to basic training in 1988 I had a long conversation with my great grandmother who had been born in 1886. Do the math, she was 102 when I left for basic. She told me about her life. She was born in MO and when she was a little girl the family went to the World's Fair in Chicago and she saw Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show. She told me about seeing her first car and airplane and when she first rode in a car. She told me about hearing a radio for the first time and seeing television for the first time. She told me about living through the Spanish-American War, WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. She told me about watching the birth of Rock and Roll and the Civil Rights era. In one life time she saw the world go from buckboard wagons to the space shuttle. It was one of the best conversations I ever had. I wish I had asked her a lot more questions because she died before I finished basic training.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I've had similar talks with my 102 yo mother. One thing that always gets left out is prohibition and the famous criminals, Al Capone, Bonny & Clyde, Baby Face Nelson, and the rest. They were all active in the 20's and 30's. The hunts for them brought about major changes in our laws that people often overlook. The inability of lawmen to cross state or county lines brought about our hot pursuit laws that allow a cop to cross a line as long as he's hot after them. Then there's the way they degraded the 2d Amendment when they clamped down on machine guns, etc. The Treasury Dept established the Dept of Internal Revenue (the infamous revenoors that people hated so much) which became the ATF. The whole mess was all tied together as a result of prohibition.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,082
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.