Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by DoeDumper
Only bullets I ever had bad experiences with was a first gen 165 gr ballistic tip from a 30-06. Splashed on a shoulder. Never seen the deer again. The other was a Sierra Game King from a 243. Hit a rib and did an odd deflection but I did find the deer after a good distance so not really a failure.

Good experiences? My absolute 2 favorites are the 120 gr BT from a 7-08 IF kept below 2900 or so. I usually use 44 gr of Varget for those. The other is whatever bullet Federal uses in the blue box 270. That was almost all I used before I started handloading. Triple digit kills with them and they never let me down. Ive bought a slew of them pulled and load my own with them now... still kill like lightning.

+1 on early NBT's. They were way too expansive, so bad that my deer hunting buds and I quit using them.

The newer ones are very good. I had also quit using SST's due to lack of terminal performance consistency although they, like the early NBT's, were very accurate. I understand the newer SST's are pretty good, just haven't gotten around to trying them again.

The SGK HPBT, as posted earlier, has been impressive at the range and on deer, 140's out of my 7-08 with all 5 star ratings at MidwayUSA

We have so many great bullets now than when I started reloading yrs ago. New and better powders, too.

DF

GB1

J
J
Sierra Pro Hunters in 24, 25, 7mm and 30 cal are my favorite deer hunting bullets.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have hunted deer since the 70's, shotguns, handguns, rifles (different calibers), everything but spears and bows. For the last
20 years or so, due to severe arthritis in shoulders and neck I switched from 30 calibers to a .243. Best decision I ever made.
I have taken around 40 deer with this caliber (100 grain bullets) and haven't lost a one. I have experimented with different factory
cartridges (there simply is too much ammo to choose from for a .243/curse or blessing) I have settled upon a winning cartridge
(and it has been with us for 50+ years) the nosler partition. Warren Page the great hunter/writer for Field & Stream used the
combo to regularly take Elk. I have never seen deer knocked down quicker with any other cartridge. Trouble is, they are
expensive and can be hard to find.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welcome!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Thank you. The Norma 100 grain Oryx looks like another good round for the .243 but I haven't used it. Appears to have
similar qualities to Nosler Partition. Like I said, there is an overabundance of factory ammo to choose from. If I was using
a .260 (another good caliber) I wouldn't have this problem.

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
For Oregon Black Tails and Mule Deer (in order of favorite caliber and bullets)

7x57 (7MM Mauser) - reloaded Nosler 140 grain Partitions or Accubonds; Factory load Winchester 145 grain Power Points
308 Win - reloaded Nosler 165 or 150 grain Partitions or Accubonds; Factory load Hornady White Tail 150 grain Interlock at 2820 fps
8mm Mauser(8x57) - reloaded 175 Grain Sierra Pro Hunter; 200 grain Nosler PT Factory load Hornady 195 grain Interlock.

They have all performed well and reliably for me. I have faith in the Nosler products and the Interlock line of Hornady bullets for medium size game. For large game (in my case elk) I prefer my the Nosler Partition/Accubond reloads in in the 160 grain for 7mm, 165 or 180s for the 308 Win, and 200 grain for the 8x7 Mauser.

Last edited by CascadeJinx; 07/23/20. Reason: typo
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

I’ve used 165 grain Speer and Hornady from a .308 Win., 150grain partitions front a .270 Win. (wife’s retired rifle), 165 grain partition from a 30-06 and a cast 265 grain cast bullet front a .44 Mag.....all were satisfactory!

The only abysmal bullet failure was a Sierra 300 grain SBT from a .375 H&H. The Mule Deer spike was shot broadside. Deer expired rather quickly, with much internal damage.....the bullet failed to exit. There were no large bullet fragments to be found. To many, this may be the desired performance from a bullet on game. However, on “small” big game, with a broadside impact point, using a 300 grain bullet from a .375 H&H, I expect...... no “demand” a bullet exit! From that season forward the remainder of these bullets were used in fire forming brass for my new AI, and shooting Prairie Dogs and Jack Rabbits memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you load them at 2500 and under they work great for me in 30 rem and 300 savage. In my 358 I like 200 grain Hornady FTX. In my 250 savage I have had good luck with Hornady 117 grain round noses. Didn’t like the 100 grain corelocs even though I recovered both deer shot with them they traveled a long way before expiring. In my 35 whelen I like 225 grain Speer hot cores. In my 9.3x62 I love the 232 grain Norma oryx. Tried the 308 Leverlution bullet in my remington model 14 but they didn’t feed well in the twist magazine tube it kept tearing the plastic tips off and I would have to disassemble to find them.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
In the ballistic study of lethality anyone that has a lot of experience and some curiosity learns a bit about anatomy accidentally. There is no way to have a high powered rifle be good for an animal that gets shot no matter what bullet is used.

So the real comparison is actually "how bad can it be" comparing one to another. And the details are very very complex. One bullet that strikes at 2500 FPS may be ok, and the same one may be excellent at impacts of 2200 FPS and be a total failure at an impact of 3000. Another may be exactly the opposite in that it is at it's best at 3000+ and not any better then a solid when it hits at 1900 FPS.

Next we have to look at the angle of the deer's body and what the bullets will hit. Broadside shots are the easiest and present the least number of challenges for a bullet maker to address. Even an arrow with only a 3/4" wide 2 blade broad head, shot from a 40 pound bow is easy to kill deer with--------- if the hits are all broadside.

Raking shots are the worst and most complex as far as trying to make a bullet that can cover all the bases.

Then we see deer in some areas that average 120 pounds live weight and others that got up around 300 pounds

So favorite deer bullets is a HUGE subject. What is outstanding for white tails in the swampy lands in Alabama may not be the best choice for mule deer in Nevada.

Next we look at the purpose of the shot. To kill a deer to mount the head, or to kill a deer to get as much meat as possible? Meat hunters (even when killing big trophy heads) like bullets that are 100% reliable for killing deer even if they deer don't drop at the shot. I for one, will take 100% penetration in a relatively straight line over electric bombs that drop 8 deer out of 10, but the ninth and tenth runs away and leaves me a small, hard to follow blood trail, because of a lack of straight penetration. Some guns and bullet seem to give you the best of both. Many make you choose one of the other.

I know a LOT of hunters who have a favorite bullet but have only killed 10 or 15 deer in their life and so they don't really have a broad basis for their choice or have much to compare their choice to. And that still doesn't make them wrong! (but sometimes doesn't make them right either)

So to give a better answer to that direct question it would be best if the O.P. said deer in so and so area, with such and such cartridges.

To open it up in the way he did, each answer could be be the size of a chapter in a gun book for every individual hunter, in each different area, with about 500 different kinds of guns and with about 250 different cartridges, and each cartridge having been used with between 10 and maybe 250 different bullets. This forum is not large enough to contain the info, and no one would have enough time to read it all and make valid comparisons anyway.

For me personally I can list the bullets I do NOT like, (any that break up regularly and don't hold at least 1/2 of their weight as a rule) but the ones that I do like are varied, and many of them deal with what gun I use them in.
I love venison so I do not want bullets the break up even when the game is a doe deer. I want 100% penetration if I can get it and so unless I am trying a new gun and/or bullet to see if it will work the way I like, I always would choose one that gave me exits in straight lines.

Those in italics below I have killed deer with, but those that I show bold I have not, but I have killed other game with, and expect good results on deer.

There are many others too, but these are what I still have and wound use today.

My current rifles and handguns I have killed deer with (or may some time if I want to )are:

5.56. My choice is the 60 grain Nosler Partition

257 Roberts. 100 and 120 grain Nosler Partitions

25-06 120 grain Speer Garnd-slam and 120 grain Nosler Partition

6.5X54 M/S 156 grain round Nose PPU

6.8 SPC 100 grain Remington. 110 grain Nosler AccuBond

270 Winchester 150 grain Remington round nose. 150 grain Nosler Partition. 160 grain Nosler partition

7.62X39 Wolf Factory 123 grain soft points

30-30 170 grain Remington Core-Lokt. 170 grain Speer Hot Core

300 Savage. 150 grain Speer Grand Slam. 150 grain Remington CoreLokt (from the 1970s) 150 grain Nosler BT hunting

303 British 180 grain Winchester. 180 grain Remington. And 190 grain cast with gas checks.

308 Winchester 150 and 165 grain Nosler Partitions, 180 grain Winchester Power Points, 165 grain Hornady flat base inner-lock. 180 grain Sierra Round Nose

30-06 150 grain Remington CL, 150 grain Grand Slam, 150 grain Nosler partitions 150 grain Winchesters. 180 grain Remingtons. 190 grain Horandys. 220 grain Hornadys

300 H&H 200 grain Nosler Partition (for elk, but I don't change for deer)

8X57 170 grain Hornady SST or 200 grain Nosler Partition

35 Remington 200 grain Remington CL 200 grain Horandy Inner-Lock. 220 grain Speer

9X57 225 grain Nosler Partition

9.3X57 250 grain Nosler Accubond or 285 Grain PPU Round Nose (for elk, but I don't change for deer)

9.3X62 286 grain Horandy or 286 grain Nosler Partition (for elk and bears, but I don't change for deer)

9.3X74R 286 grain Horandy. (for elk and bears, but I don't change for deer)

375H&H 270 grain Winchester Power Point (for elk buffalo and bears but I don't change for deer)

404 Jeffery 400 grain Hornady (for elephant down, but I don't change for deer ---or for anything else either)

50 caliber flintlock. .490 ball cast from Wheel Weights and air cooled.

62 caliber flintlock .600 round ball cast from Wheel Weights and air cooled.

357 magnum handguns. 187 Gr LBT wide flat nose gas check

44 magnum handguns 320 grain LBT wide flat nose gas check

45 Colt 265 grain LBT Flat base wide flat nose

454 Casull 370 grain LBT Wide flat Nose, Gas check.

Ramble over.........

Last edited by szihn; 07/23/20.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
454 Casull 370 grain LBT

You think you used enough dynamite there Butch?

Last edited by mathman; 07/23/20.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Must have.
They are STILL dead!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Speer hot cors hornady flat base and core lokts, mostly. Some noslers too.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Barnes, in any caliber. Absolutely no bad experiences!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Barnes in any caliber, absolutely the worst bullet out there for copper fouling out a bore. Won't buy anything from those PC dicks. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Berger VLD always worked very well for me.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Todd_Bradford
I don't like Hornady SST or Nosler ballistic tips. Too fragile. They over expand and fragment. I don't trust them to penetrate on sharp angled shots or to drive through heavy bone.

I don't care for TSX all copper type bullets either for the exact opposite reason. They seem to expand very little at all on whitetail deer. I am amazed when I read the accounts of people online who talk about how these bullets consistently drop deer in their tracks. Those folks must be launching them at about 3700 fps because at more standard velocities I never saw that happen. In fact if I had to sum my experience and the experience of my friends with them up in one sentence it would be: "never has so many well hit deer ran so far; bleed so little; and been so hard to find.

For deer sized game I like standard lead tipped cup and core type bullets. My favorite is the Hornady Interlock. They have been accurate out of all my rifles and the lead alloy in them seem to be just the right level of hardness to give good penetration while still expanding enough to kill quickly. I have never recovered one in a deer. Even the 117 grain Interlocks out of my 25-06 have always exited the deer I have shot.

The first generation bt's were very accurate and Explosive they colored my thinking for 20 years. I am allways looking for bargains at gun shows and when I see old bt's in the black box with the red and green lable I pick up my pace to get by them. On the other hand with a good price I buy all the old Solid Base ones I can get they worked well for me as well as NPT's old or new. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Ballistic Tips have changed. I'd like to see the deer I couldn't drill with a 165/168 out of my 308. Including bigguns in Canada.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Barnes, in any caliber. Absolutely no bad experiences!

^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^ Same for us, no disappointments and no fouling.....but, have only used them since 1993!

I did have a friend that had horrendous fouling and terrible groups (patterns grin) with the original X Bullets! Discovered that the bore of his new Remington SS Model 700 25-06 was very rough.....maybe rifled with a “rattail” file whistle . We polished (hand lapped) the bore (a lot)! Improved the groups to acceptable. He then went out and killed the biggest bodied bull elk I’ve ever seen. Shot running broadside at about 80 or so yards, bullet well placed, complete pass through.....elk piled up in less than 100 yards! His first elk! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 07/23/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
55 grain Hornady in a 22-250 .Never fails

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My favorite in .30-06 is Sierra Game King 165gr. and in .35 Whelen Hornacy Inter-lok 200gr. RN. I have used both on whitetails and they're both hammers, tremendous hydrostatic shock.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,409
Posts18,470,334
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.