Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
The R is for radius as mentioned.Dirtfarmer, Broughton is closed out. The Shilen ratchet barrel is a good barrel. A good barrel is a good barrel. I had an excellent 8 groove one time and was sold on them. The next 4 were"OK". I think the maker is important, but you may get a hummer from any of them.

RONG eeeeerrrrrr Wrong again Butchy, R stands for Russian as I stated earlier not radius.
Boots was contracted by the US military to study the Russian AKS-74 rifle and cartridge and the rifling he developed was a variation of that hence R for Russian.........furthermore if you read what Boots says his design has angular sides, nowhere does he state radiused because they are not.

Young feller, from Boot's website.

What does it mean when a barrel is said to be a "5R"?

5R is the form of rifling I developed for use in most target barrels and in many sporting barrels.
These barrels have 5 grooves, and the lands have angular sides. I have observed that bullet jackets
will deform such that they remain closer to the R-form lands than they will to the sharp-edged
lands present in conventional-style rifling. This reduces powder fouling at the corner of the
grooves. The angled form of the lands also helps to reduce jacket failures in quick-twist barrels.

Their are radius in the 5r land profile.

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

I think the remington barrels are hammer forged which means they're not really 5R.

5R is a geometry, not a method of production.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

I think the remington barrels are hammer forged which means they're not really 5R.

5R is a geometry, not a method of production.

This is a cut and paste from Krieger's website:

"True 5R® rifling is an official registered trademark of Boots Obermeyer of Obermeyer Barrels"

Maybe it's splitting hairs, but it appears that for it to be "true" 5R rifling it has to be made in accordance with Obermeyer's trademark which would be cut rifling so it is as much a method of production as a geometry.

If you go to Remington's website notice it doesn't say 5R, it says 5-R. I suspect the hyphen is to get around the trademark.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How were the Russians doing it?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
With the help of the democrats!!!

Proper prior practice prevents piss poor performance!
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by mathman
How were the Russians doing it?

I'm pretty sure the russians didn't have it trademarked in the U.S.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Exactly. I'm interested in shape considerations, not brand names.

Last edited by mathman; 06/12/20. Reason: New word more to the point
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The R is for radius as mentioned.Dirtfarmer, Broughton is closed out. The Shilen ratchet barrel is a good barrel. A good barrel is a good barrel. I had an excellent 8 groove one time and was sold on them. The next 4 were"OK". I think the maker is important, but you may get a hummer from any of them.

RONG eeeeerrrrrr Wrong again Butchy, R stands for Russian as I stated earlier not radius.
Boots was contracted by the US military to study the Russian AKS-74 rifle and cartridge and the rifling he developed was a variation of that hence R for Russian.........furthermore if you read what Boots says his design has angular sides, nowhere does he state radiused because they are not.

5R is the form of rifling I developed for use in most target barrels and in many sporting barrels.
These barrels have 5 grooves, and the lands have angular sides. I have observed that bullet jackets
will deform such that they remain closer to the R-form lands than they will to the sharp-edged
lands present in conventional-style rifling. This reduces powder fouling at the corner of the
grooves. The angled form of the lands also helps to reduce jacket failures in quick-twist barrels.

Incredible.!!!!!!!!!..........A self proclaimed Sexual intellectual aka. Fhuqking know it all, was so involved playing paddy cakes for more than a decade with the Shilen's he was oblivious to what the boys in Wisconsin were doing !!!!!!!!!!!
Have been buying 5R (Russian) barrels from Wisconsin since at least 2010 not a one a 5R (radius), they only exist in the mind of some jack azz from poetry

Last edited by boatanchor; 06/13/20.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Incredible.!!!!!!!!!..........A self proclaimed Sexual intellectual aka. Fhuqking know it all, was so involved playing paddy cakes for more than a decade with the Shilen's he was oblivious to what the boys in Wisconsin were doing !!!!!!!!!!!
Have been buying 5R (Russian) barrels from Wisconsin since at least 2010 not a one a 5R (radius), they only exist in the mind of some jack azz from poetry

Young feller, don't take much to get your goat does it? Pissed you off that I cut and pasted Obermeyer's 5R comment from his website. Actually the folks at Shilen have been friends for 30yrs. Oh, I just chambered a 308 Obermeyer barrel for a hunting rifle. My first 308. Stan Taylor, Douglas barrels, supplied my barrel blank for my 280 AI titanium rifle, Dan Lilja supplied my 6.5 blank for my 6.5X47L Pierce custom, I've used 5 of Bartlein barrels for BR and a custom 22RF. Frank Green, Bartlein, made my rimfire barrel in an 8 groove, LH gain twist, I use a Rock Creek 17 twist on my 30BR varmint for score rifle.
Young feller, I've used Turbo, McMillan, H&S, Hart, and other brands of barrels. Oh yes, I've used a couple of Kreigers that were great also.
Have a wonderful week young feller!

Oh, I forgot, I have 2 Eric Johnson 5 star RF barrels also.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 06/14/20.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
If I had to hazard a guess on the meaning of the R, it would be simply 5 Right as in right hand twist.

Phil

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Young feller, don't take much to get your goat does it? Pissed you off that I cut and pasted Obermeyer's 5R comment from his website. Actually the folks at Shilen have been friends for 30yrs. Oh, I just chambered a 308 Obermeyer barrel for a hunting rifle. My first 308. Stan Taylor, Douglas barrels, supplied my barrel blank for my 280 AI titanium rifle, Dan Lilja supplied my 6.5 blank for my 6.5X47L Pierce custom, I've used 5 of Bartlein barrels for BR and a custom 22RF. Frank Green, Bartlein, made my rimfire barrel in an 8 groove, LH gain twist, I use a Rock Creek 17 twist on my 30BR varmint for score rifle.
Young feller, I've used Turbo, McMillan, H&S, Hart, and other brands of barrels. Oh yes, I've used a couple of Kreigers that were great also.
Have a wonderful week young feller!

Oh, I forgot, I have 2 Eric Johnson 5 star RF barrels also.

If what you say is true..............you should have known better years and years ago but your pompous nature just lets you plod along thinking because you are deity whatever comes out of your blowhole must be true........wrong again Butchy

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Greyghost
If I had to hazard a guess on the meaning of the R, it would be simply 5 Right as in right hand twist.

Phil

You are correct, your guess is a hazard. but you are wrong just as Butchy.
only difference is you come from a point of ignorance and Butchy comes from a point of arrogance and being oblivious to damn near everything !!!!!!!!!!

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The ignorance displayed on the Fire sometimes defies explanation.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by WAM
The ignorance displayed on the Fire sometimes defies explanation.

Yes sir, I agree.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (AKislander, 300_savage, Anaconda, 69sportfury, 8 invisible), 1,553 guests, and 877 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,574
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.