Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
So I just had my right eye done Wednesday. seeing better than I have for decades as cataracts developed. Left eye is scheduled in about 2 weeks, however I'm considering not having it done. If done, both eyes will be corrected for distance only so glasses will still be required for lots of work that I do. Is this a bad idea and why? Any experience from fire members and particularly some of our Eye Docs would be appreciated.

Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

When in the Course of human events......
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It’s gonna tax your brain for a while, a few weeks, might get some headaches.

Then, maybe not.

Going through this with my daughter.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You could get the other eye done with a close lens, univision or something they called it for me.

Would have worked great, except I had a "bleeder" inside my eye, 3rd one in 17 years according to my Doc. Eventually, that led (or might have, of course they don't want to say for sure) to a detached retina and inflammation I am still dealing with 3+ years later. Outside of that issue, I can read pretty good except for really small stuff.

But the first cataract surgery and lens is a great success.

Good luck with it all.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I had both eyes corrected to distance and love it. Yes, need readers, but you get used to them. My correction is great for anything out of doors, except tying fishing knots! Would do the same again!
Jim

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Had my left eye done a couple of weeks ago and the right scheduled for Tuesday. I can not stand being able to see pretty well out of one eye and like crap out of the other. I too will need some corrective lenses for my astigmatism. I want them both fixed though.

jimjr
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
for the first 50years or so i was so near sighted, blind as a bat. so i had both corrected to far sighted about 15 years ago.
costgo provided some cheap non prescription reading glasses. I don't use them half the time.
no issues

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Strange to hear both eyes are corrected for distance only . I had three very elderly Relatives ( in their 80s ) who had both eyes done ( at different times ) and did not require Glasses for Reading Or for Long Distance . The one who made out best went to a Surgeon who invented the Sutureless Cataract Procedure at Robert Packer Hospital in Pa. and then taught it all over the world for many years . I went with her to the Pre-Op. Eye Tests and they were really detailed . Computer Programs then were used to Produce the Lenses . They were all amazed they could read the Newspaper ....... remember those ?

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Had both eyes done in January of 2018. Best lenses I could get. Vision is a little better than 20/20. Just had a follow up with opthamologist this week and everything is good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Didn't seriously consider leaving one eye as is when I had my eyes done two years ago. I was very near sighted and used contact lenses before. Now 20 20 or better in both eyes. Big relief not to have to use contacts anymore, and one contact is 90% the trouble of two.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Our eldest daughter just had one eye done Tuesday. She had a checkup to day, back to work this afternoon.

She is secluded for the other eye next Tuesday. She is doing well.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had both done for distance plus fixed astigmatism. Went with the laser removal because of the shape of my eyeballs they were concerned about some possible complications. Cost me some bucks for the procedure and the extra cost of lens.
Wish I could have done it 30 years ago. 20-15 distance! Dollar store readers and I'm good to go.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Wife had both of hers done about 2 years ago, they got the scrip wrong in the first eye but since she could read with it she opted to leave it alone. Got the other one done at 20/20. And can still pass eye exams with the Mono Vision she got for no extra charge.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Had mine done a few years ago and opted for monovision. The assistant screwed up and did not note that. My eyes wound up 20/20 2nd 20/15. The doc was not happy with her and told me he would correct this with a laser if I wanted, once it was healed. I only need readers very seldom and have not opted for the correction. I really enjoy my distance vision.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just saw another eye doc today for second opinion. I'm having close-up, distance, and stigmatism corrected. Supposed to not need any glasses after that. Surgery on first eye in a couple weeks. Second one 2 weeks later. Looking forward to being done.

About $5700 out of pocket counting doctor, corrective lenses, and surgical center. This is with good insurance. Geebus.

Last edited by local_dirt; 06/05/20.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't do it! I hear it's directly related to your nutsack getting bigger and your weenie shrinking!

...or maybe it's just getting old in general?

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by local_dirt

About $5700 out of pocket counting doctor, corrective lenses, and surgical center. This is with good insurance. Geebus.

Damn that doesn't sound like very good insurance to me, We paid a total of 600.00 out of pocket for the entire deal including annual followups.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
The surgeon I referred my cataract patients to when I was still practicing recently explained to me the new multifocal IOLs do well providing both clear near and far vision.

I'm still leaning toward getting both eyes eventually fixed to be about 1.25 D myopic. That's my normal refractive error and I can get good near vision without a near spec Rx or multifocals. I can also get by with slightly blurred distance vision with my naked eyes but typically wear light weight multifocal specs for the clearest vision, near and far.

AFAIC any cataract surgeon who does not explain and offer all these options to patients is shortchanging them. Unfortunately, too many drs worship at the idol of 20/20 distant vision and are not aware that post OP patients with single vision IOLs have better depth of focus than a natural eye does that is slightly myopic.

Many of the patients treated by me and one of the surgeons I practiced with, years before multifocal were available, were purposefully made about 4-5 steps myopic so they could see fairly well at far and at near.

We were amazed for some time by patients insisting after surgery that they didnt even want a spectacle Rx as they could see well enough to read and drive as they were.

Many of those patients proved they could see 20/30 at far and near without glasses.

I prefer the clearest sight possible as a hunter, so am at somewhat of a quandry as to whether to go slightly myopic and wear weak specs at times or try the multifocal IOL in my non dominant left eye first.

If the optics in that lens isnt quite as sharp as I would expect, due to multifocal imperfections, I could get the single vision lens in my rt eye.

Even if a great job is done with the multifocal eyes do change over time and many patients still end up getting a weak multifocal spec Rx for their driving, hunting, ball games or fine detail reading.

Good fortune.

Last edited by jaguartx; 06/05/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Just saw another eye doc today for second opinion. I'm having close-up, distance, and stigmatism corrected. Supposed to not need any glasses after that. Surgery on first eye in a couple weeks. Second one 2 weeks later. Looking forward to being done.

Ah, the Cadillac plan not covered by Medicare. Docs do have to push multifocal IOLs and astigmatism to make enough money to make doing surgery worthwhile.

Iirc when I left the multidoc surgery center, due to Zero care and Medicare cutbacks making medical eyecare a losingproposition, the surgeons were only getting about $300 to do cat surgery and IOL implantation on a Medicare patients eye. Crap. It's not worth his time, nurses, lens calculation equipment and obligated postoperative care.

Some docs like zerocare as they work for companies and provide poor medical care and it's the only way they can get patients referred to them. Ex ? Diddler. whistle

Last edited by jaguartx; 06/05/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Jag, thanks for info. my surgeon told me the new lens would probably bring me from -5.50D to about - 0.25 D. so far best vision I've had since teens.

Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

When in the Course of human events......
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jaguartx
The surgeon I referred my cataract patients to when I was still practicing recently explained to me the new multifocal IOLs do well providing both clear near and far vision.

I'm still leaning toward getting both eyes eventually fixed to be about 1.25 D myopic. That's my normal refractive error and I can get good near vision without a near spec Rx or multifocals. I can also get by with slightly blurred distance vision with my naked eyes but typically wear light weight multifocal specs for the clearest vision, near and far.

AFAIC any cataract surgeon who does not explain and offer all these options to patients is shortchanging them. Unfortunately, too many drs worship at the idol of 20/20 distant vision and are not aware that post OP patients with single vision IOLs have better depth of focus than a natural eye does that is slightly myopic.

Many of the patients treated by me and one of the surgeons I practiced with, years before multifocal were available, were purposefully made about 4-5 steps myopic so they could see fairly well at far and at near.

We were amazed for some time by patients insisting after surgery that they didnt even want a spectacle Rx as they could see well enough to read and drive as they were.

Many of those patients proved they could see 20/30 at far and near without glasses.

I prefer the clearest sight possible as a hunter, so am at somewhat of a quandry as to whether to go slightly myopic and wear weak specs at times or try the multifocal IOL in my non dominant left eye first.

If the optics in that lens isnt quite as sharp as I would expect, due to multifocal imperfections, I could get the single vision lens in my rt eye.

Even if a great job is done with the multifocal eyes do change over time and many patients still end up getting a weak multifocal spec Rx for their driving, hunting, ball games or fine detail reading.

Good fortune.

Doc, this is what I'm doing.

In my case, it's my non-dominant right eye.

Last edited by local_dirt; 06/05/20.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (406_SBC, 14idaho, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 13 invisible), 1,470 guests, and 801 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,724
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.