Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
250gr TTSX worked very well for me on a moose at 300yds last fall.

Brandon Gleason
GB1

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks I will run the 250s Barnes and GMX with R15 and may try the 248 & 256 Hammer bullets too. After this hunt I will try R16 but not enough time to work up loads with that for this hunt. The 270 LRX looks like a one bullet for everything type load and will probably do a little better on wind drift than the 250s. If I didn't have a couple hundred of the 250s that is the one I would try next.

I likw the 250s for shoot-ability. Heavier bullets start to turn on my recoil threshold. The 250s are about like a 3" magnum 12 gauge and the 270-350s are more like a 3.5" magnum 12g load, both start to get my attention after about 20 rounds or so. I got a recoil eater shoulder pad and it is the best recoil attenuation pad I have tried and I tried: sorbathane, gel, past, and mouse pads and this one is the best. It will be good for range sessions and bird hunts in Mexico.
It fits in a Wild Hare shirt which is the best hot weather shooting shirt I have found and they make a LH version too.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tejano
I know these are good for elk but with Bison should I go heavier? This will be a meat hunt so not a big bull. I will be trying for a just behind the shoulder shot so could hit the off shoulder but probably not both.

Apologies upfront on the footage but this is from 2008...Crow Indian Reservation... 1 shot... 338 Win Mag 225 gr A-Frame... placement trumps bullet weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AawnlLeVlEg

PASS IT ON!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I know these are good for elk but with Bison should I go heavier? This will be a meat hunt so not a big bull. I will be trying for a just behind the shoulder shot so could hit the off shoulder but probably not both.

I would definitely use them.
I killed a bull that even after bleeding out in the field, went over 2300 pounds on the scales back at the abattoir. I used a 550gn Woodleigh Weldcore launched at over 2500fps from my .460 Weatherby. The guide summed it up nicely as the bullet hit, "Good Lord". Said he'd seen it all, guess he hadn't.

I would expect that 250gn TSX to handle any mammal.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I plan on using the 250 grain ttsx on a free range bison hunt in August.
My load is moving just at 2800 FPS and shoots surprisingly flat. Zeroed dead on at 200 yards it’s about 7 inches low at 300 yards, which I think would be about as far as I would want shoot a bison.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
300 Wby (because that is what I had) 180 grain TTTX. One shot behind the ear. Trophy sized bull.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 378 Bee load

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

and yes the 250 will work great!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Wow, Fotis.

You must have nerves of steel to sit there, getting whacked by that big gun and holding it that tight.

Congrats, to you and the rifle...

DF

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Darn Fotis you just took the breeze out of my bloomers as I was congratulating myself on a half inch group last range session. Had a change of plans on the ammo as I couldn't find my R-15 for the 250s but did find two boxes of 300 grain fail safes. These are ideal for shoulder shooting a Buffalo but since I will be trying for a behind the shoulder shot I opened the hollow point up from 1mm to 3mm so they should open up pretty well. I shall see.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Place your bullet about a foot above the brisket with the animal slightly angling away from you. The heart is in the middle between the legs. That shot placement will take the top of the heart or the blood vessels. Envision a football on end. Very quick kill. “ Behind the shoulder” isn’t, in my experience, a useful shot. The lungs are high and are not a quick kill. If you go low behind the shoulder you’ll stick a hole in the paunch. Think we had one guy with a 375 try to kill one. Took him 13 shots behind the shoulder.
Lots of horror stories I could tell but correct shot placement is paramount.

IC B3

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks frank500

If I can catch it while it is taking a step the sort of bald patch where if buffalo had armpits is what I am looking for. Or I will just aim for the off side shoulder tight to the sort of elbow on the onside shoulder. Does this sound like what you were describing?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I have seen the 270gr used on bison, and have used them on brown and black bears, moose, caribou and Sitka blacktails. It is an incredible bullet IMO. I have never seen one stopped. I have shot them lengthwise through very large brown bears coming and going.

Shot placement is key and low and forward is the right place. True broadside and the "patch" is too far aft IMO&E.

The other major factor is meat loss on a meat critter and the Barnes family wins that game without serious competition!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I used the 235 gr. Barnes X BT in my 375 H&H on Elk, Moose and Deer. All were passthroughs except the largest bull Elk and one Moose. Unfortunately, Barnes no longer makes that 235 in a boat tail, now they're flat base.

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
The 300 Failsafe worked as designed. One tight behind the shoulder and the Bison took a couple of steps and then laid down with her body still upright and head down. Didn't need it but put a finisher through the onside shoulder and heart. The modified Failsafes opened quickly and one or both shed petals. We found two under the hide on the off side. One a few inches from the exit and the other several inches away both about 20 grains. Lungs were soup and the heart was neatly pierced possibly from the shed petals or bone fragments, will look more closely when I prepare it for Peruvian style Kebobs.

Thanks for the input, now I will have a lot of options for reloads with the various 235-260 grain bullets I accumulated. The Hogs will not like this one bit.

T
T
Old thread but just letting you know that my father in law recently shot a bison with a 250 grain TTSX from his .375 H&H.
Perfect Barnes expansion and total penetration.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by troutseeker
Old thread but just letting you know that my father in law recently shot a bison with a 250 grain TTSX from his .375 H&H.
Perfect Barnes expansion and total penetration.

Nice. Good intel. Thank you!

Semper Fi
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
The Raptors look good and there are reports on using them on Buffalo too. I have the TTSX and GMX 250s on order and already have a load for 250-260 grain bullets. With minimum lead time I am reluctant to try the Raptors, that and I am cheap. I have a couple of other cartridges loaded with the Lehigh fragmenting mono but have only shot a limited number of game with them, so far they are awesome. I think the 100 grain and the 85 gr. Lehigh in my 257 Weatherby and 25-06 respectively will be brush country magic, as in minimal tracking. Both are running around 3,600 fps and shoot pretty close to 400 or 450 still working on these.

I think the 250 TTSX will be good if one shoulder is hit which I hope I can avoid as this is purely a meat hunt. If I wanted to put one through both shoulders then I would go 300 grain mono.

DF: Pretty good group there, did you white out the powder burns? I would call that minute of buffalo for sure.

I would punch the shoulder with s 250 TTSX or TSX. Why are you concerned?

Last edited by jwp475; 04/18/22.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Yep……but, personally I’d go a bit heavier! Perhaps the 270 LRX or the TSX. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

375 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 260madman, 43 invisible), 2,321 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,860
Posts18,478,561
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.