Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by billhilly
Bill Shrier (Rise and fall of the Third Reich) and several others disagree. It seems to me from the evidence that Hindenburg and the military requested it and that Rohm’s homosexual exploits were becoming an embarrassment. The “Rohm was gonna kill me” thing seems to be the excuse made up for killing him.

"The SA was observed to be stockpiling weapons -- evidently for a "second revolution," in which Hitler would be deposed ... Certain facts are clear. The SA was planning to overthrow Hitler's government ... Hitler was convinced." - Pages 40-41, Hitler's War, by David Irving

Originally Posted by billhilly
Bill Shrier (Rise and fall of the Third Reich) and several others disagree. It seems to me from the evidence that Hindenburg and the military requested it and that Rohm’s homosexual exploits were becoming an embarrassment. The “Rohm was gonna kill me” thing seems to be the excuse made up for killing him.

"The SA was observed to be stockpiling weapons -- evidently for a "second revolution," in which Hitler would be deposed ... Certain facts are clear. The SA was planning to overthrow Hitler's government ... Hitler was convinced." - Pages 40-41, Hitler's War, by David Irving

I believe that’s what the book you’re referencing says. I just don’t agree with his assessment and neither do most historians.
1. Of course they had weapons stockpiled. They were a huge paramilitary organization.
2. Hitler had no government to overthrow at that time. He wasn’t appointed Chancellor by Hindenburg until after the purge of the SA
3. Hitler always had “evidence” for his stated reasons for doing things like dead guards found in Polish uniforms who “attacked” the border radio station or Marinus van der Lubbe confessing to the Riechstag fire or “Rohm and his SA were going to kill me!”

Rohm had been with Hitler since the beginning of his party. Hitler had a soft spot for him and defended him from Himmler and Goering’s attempts to talk him into dumping Rohm. This went on for some time until the real opportunity to become chancellor was presented and the army along with Hindenburg agreed to the deal as long as Rohm was eliminated.
I have no doubt that David Irving wrote what you say he did but he’s wrong.

Last edited by billhilly; 06/09/20.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Shirer was a regurgitater of other "historians'" regurgitations, unlike Irving, who bases nothing he says on anything any other historian wrote, but rather on original sources only. I'll go with Irving's account.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
"William Shirer's book The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, is a very good book in its way, written at a very early stage. It is based entirely on the prosecution documents at Nuremberg and, as such, is out of balance and also contains misstatements of fact. These are gradually reshaped and corrected as the years pass."

- David Irving

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
Tucker Carlson stated on his Monday evening monologue the cities that will defund their police Dept. will replace them with liberal advocates they control.....the liberals are just not telling their citizens their intentions.

Cities replacing the police with their own liberal security forces they control has been done before........Ernst Rohm "Brown Shirts" in 1930's Nazi Germany.

Amen....... Back in the 1960's I heard about that stuff from some old German guys who had seen it firsthand. They even spoke about stuff like that being tried here someday. But as a teenager I just dismissed it as the ramblings of some old, paranoid men. Because that kind of crap would never be tolerated in America, right ? Those old guys would be rolling in their graves if they could see this crap now.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
And one result of all of this is that the website "Blue Lives Matter" is going, at minimun, on hiatus:

https://mailchi.mp/bluelivesmatter/blue-lives-statement

Retired cat herder.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"William Shirer's book The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, is a very good book in its way, written at a very early stage. It is based entirely on the prosecution documents at Nuremberg and, as such, is out of balance and also contains misstatements of fact. These are gradually reshaped and corrected as the years pass."

- David Irving

So was Shirer a regurgitater of other "historians” or author of a book written at the early stage and based on Nuremburg documents like your hero Irving says? It doesn’t matter. Obviously Irving is your guy. I don’t agree with his assessment and Shirer isn’t the only one who has a differing opinion. I don’t see how anybody can look at the deal that made Hitler chancellor and discount that as a contributing factor in the purge of the SA. But hey, go with who ya like I guess. We’re both too old to be worrying about passing history tests.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Irving was being charitable. I've heard him say much worse about Shirer during live presentations.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,132 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,780
Posts18,495,926
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.