-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
For anyone considering a Knight ML, Midway has them on a build-to-order basis at a considerable discount over the price on the Knight website. Don't know if the free cases and/cleaning kit Knight offers is included. These can be hard to find in stock elsewhere. Build time is about 2 weeks, and free drop-shipment is included.

Lots of options for different calibers, ignition systems, sights (or not), stocks, and on some they offer nitride over the stainless steel metal. Most of the bolt-actions can be fitted with alternate ignitions if that's something you may need.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Tracking shows my Colorado-legal black nitride Ultra Lite will land on the porch tomorrow, so 10 days from click to happiness.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, Knight is my favorite, sold the others. I think I have about 5 now, 45 & 50, so don’t need another.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I thought about the fast-twist .45 for a bit, but the giant pile of .50 caliber "ammunition" in my stash convinced me to stick with the current program. The Knights are shooters, no doubt about it.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Nothing compares to a fast twist 45 shot sabotless. All you need is a adjustable sizing die and a little practice getting the sizing correct. But you can always get the Mountaineer 45 1-20 barrel kit from Knight for $350 and drop that bad boy right in your UL stock. All the parts swap over no problem. Takes maybe 15min to swap it all over.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Might have to do that the next time I get bored. I knew that they would sell you a barrel because my son plans to get a CO-legal one if they ever go back, but it never occurred to me to get a long fast-twist .45 for myself.

Also knew the bolts and plugs were the same from when I ordered a percussion conversion setup.

Thanks for helping me spend more money!

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
try a few no excuse conicals in there. My Mk-85 loves them over 90gr of black mz. The deer don't like them at all though

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Didn’t even know Knight was still being made.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
They changed hands a couple times, but the present operation has been going for at least seven years, and seems to be well-run and efficient. My only exposure has been to a couple of Ultra Lites, but they are first-class. Green Mountain barrels, machined bolts, everything totally made in the U.S. Limited distribution it seems.

Mine's all ready to get lined up, but now it's hot, and MLing in hot weather is the pits.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
First owner was Tony Knight
Then in 1998 Tony Knight as a consultant more or less and EBSCO who still owns Green Mountain Barrel. EBSCO owns PRADCO. Tony sold it to PRADCO.
PI Inc bought Knight in 2010

Knight never went under but they did go through a few years of not making any new rifles. During that time the shop was still open for repairs and they still sold accessories. PI inc rolled out the prototype Ultimate Slam rifle as the Mountaineer the first year of so after buying Knight. The current owners developed the Ultra Lite and brought back the 1-20 twist 45s more recently. Only in ULs and Mountaineers. They brought back the 45 1-18 target rifle also which is now called the Knight 500 and made of SS. Original version was only made in cm4140. PI also brought back using all real Timney triggers for all DISC type models and Bighorns too. Previously they used a knock off made by Vehr aka Velocity trigger. New Knight rifles are pretty damn nice.

They need very little to be nearly perfect. I would suggest a Lehigh breach plug or a custom fit Bestill breach plug if you really want to go top shelf. Lehigh makes the plugs and other parts for Knight but they use better SS and a removable vent liner. Not bad for under $20.

https://sskfirearms.lehighdefense.com/all-products?product_id=313

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
They are fine muzzleloaders. A little more of a paint to clean than these new EZ breech guns made, but they are solid and accurate.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Break actions are a PITA to clean if the primers are not sealing. No way to remove the internals easily for a good cleaning. Knights come totally apart with 2 tools. Bolt comes apart with no tools at all. Trigger comes off with the same allen you use for the stock The only thing easy about a CVA or Traditions is removing the breach plug. The rest is just as hard or harder to clean than a Knight. Set your headspace right in a Knight and the breach stays nearly spotless. Many times all that you need to do is get a Lehigh breach plug and use a standard Win209 primer.

So to completely clean, oil and inspect everything in a CVA you need to remove the firing pin bushing, remove the barrel and remove the buttstock. Then flush out the action because you cant get directly to any of the trigger group. All of which are simple to get to with a Knight.

Lots of people have boasted about how easy they are to clean but the truth is.............Many half assed cleaned the rifle. It takes 2 tools total to get these firing pins and bushings out of a CVA. If these look this bad, can you imagine how bad the internals get with piss poor cleaning habits?
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
True on the cva’s. Most people dont clean like me and you though. Love my knight. Had an encore but tearing the action apart every time i shot it was a pain. Old sidelock tc’s are the easiest ever to clean. Push pin out take nipple out and get after it

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 2,620 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,476
Posts18,471,571
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.