Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Starts a thread, then critiques the way members reply to it.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
That'd be swell.

I got stuff needs exporting.

Last edited by Jim_Conrad; 06/14/20.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
BTW , gold is a commodity traded in dollars. It’s a commodity with limited uses so when times get really tough it will be worthless. Food , energy , weapons , etc will all be valuable as trade but gold needs a functioning market to have value.

The big central banks like gold these days.

https://resourceworld.com/central-banks-to-increase-gold-reserves/

According to the 2020 CBGR survey, 20% of central banks intend to increase their gold reserves over the next 12 months, compared to just 8% of respondents in the 2019 survey. The increase is particularly notable as central bank buying has reached record levels in recent years, adding around 650 tonnes in 2019 alone.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
BTW , gold is a commodity traded in dollars. It’s a commodity with limited uses so when times get really tough it will be worthless. Food , energy , weapons , etc will all be valuable as trade but gold needs a functioning market to have value.

Somebody needs to tell the banks all around the world. They've been buying it up and stockpiling it for no good purpose for a very long time.

IC B2

O
OldHat Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by slumlord

Sorry. I misunderstood your response.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bristoe

The big central banks like gold these days.

https://resourceworld.com/central-banks-to-increase-gold-reserves/

According to the 2020 CBGR survey, 20% of central banks intend to increase their gold reserves over the next 12 months, compared to just 8% of respondents in the 2019 survey. The increase is particularly notable as central bank buying has reached record levels in recent years, adding around 650 tonnes in 2019 alone.

Looks like you beat me to it.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The world trading currency will not collapse.
The USA will go to war to see to that.

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by OldHat

Read it twice.

Of course outside events can affect economies. Volcanos, harsh extended winters, extreme droughts, etc.,etc.

You start out with the wrong info and then act like you don’t understand other posters’ comments.

Do you have a specific point to make?
Specific point.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Okay, I know, I know, people are forever forecasting the end of the world, but really it is not if but when, no? The US is going to devalue it's own currency placating interest groups and trying to survive "crisis". 2020 shows us how fragile the whole system really is.

Are you doing anything to prepare?

What, precisely, do you anticipate? Inflation? The CARES act just injected $4 trillion in to the system, and inflation dropped; deflation is probably the bigger threat at this point.

I know that runaway inflation is a big fear among fellas of a certain age, but what you may have experienced in the 70’s won’t recur. The set of conditions that caused it, i.e. closed national markets, targeted full employment, and strong labor protections no longer exists, Reagan, and Thatcher destroyed that world when they enacted Friedman’s ideas, and established the neoliberal order.

The dollar is the global reserve asset, it’s fine, and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by El_CuCuy; 06/14/20.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Yes, there has to be a market with sellers and buyers. But.... there has always been trade and value found in gold. Sure, there may be the odd circumstance where there is no value found in gold, but I don’t know of one. Maybe you could come up with some scenario, but gold has had a market and market makers for centuries.

I have traveled quite a bit and not yet found a place on earth where gold is not valued and indeed traded. I was once in a very small village in New Guinea.... small like in 1500 people or so.... way out of the way.... civilian supplies brought in by boat.... 80 percent of the population were subsistence farmers....you get the idea.... only a few businesses, but that little town had two... yep, two gold shops.

An acquaintance of mine went into one and told the proprietor he had a 22 karat necklace for sale. Took the clerk about a minute to weigh it, scratch test for true gold content and give him a price for his “18 karat” necklace.

It is my experience that folks living in countries that have national currencies that have undergone debasement are strong holders of both silver and gold. It can happen here in the US. Probably will.

It is just a matter of time before those “trillions” of stimulus work their way into the economy on Main Street. Our government is now in bailout mode.... bail out the unemployed, small business, big business, business that is crucial to the nation.... just a matter of time before we see just how they are bailing out the pension funds.

Financial misery is on it’s way. Deflation first.... maybe for a couple of years, then perhaps stagflation then “big” inflation.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a Vietnamese boat person work for me as a technician, Mihn, in 1985.

He went to night school and got a master's degree in electrical engineering.

We gave him a desk in the engineering area, but by then he had already made $1M from investing in his family biz.

He was wealthy and in med school when the commies took over. He left by boat, but pirates took all their Gold. He was in a refugee center. He got into the US, learned English, and got rich again in 5 years.

I would contrast this with another engineer, Marc, whose ancestors came over on the Mayflower, but he is always broke.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We need to realize that China attacked us and the rest of the world with a WMD, ie coronavirus. The proof that it was deliberate is that they protected the rest of China by closing the Wuhan borders. They chose to allow flights leaving Wuhan to the rest of the world in order to to spread the virus. We need to consider that we are at war with China and make sure that we win.

[Linked Image from ]
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by stxhunter
I'd get by, i always do.

Yes, you probably would get by. Will, attitude and a little bit of prep make it come out all right.

When I was young, I was greatly influenced by my grandfather. I asked him what it was like during the Depression. He told me that it was not a crisis at all for the family. He was not an educated man but a man of action and smart. He said there were some “favorable factors.”

He had four brothers and they helped one another. He had three sons that ran their dairy farm while he had a “hard money” job at the oil refinery. Worked out ok for them.

Btw, he had nothing good to say about FDR.... called him a thief. Perhaps referring to calling gold at $20.67 an ounce and then repricing it at $32. Gramp would bite his lip when talking about it, I speculate that he was still kicking himself for turning in what little gold he may have had.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Dutch
Dollar is at a decade long high. Us exporters are getting killed, and Chicom imports are dirt cheap. I ain't skeered of a lower greenback.

Yes, it is, so I agree conventional economics says we are okay, but the most important lesson this year should teach us is that it will NOT be economics that drives the collapse. No?

All wars are founded in economics.

a lot of them, but religion is right up there too

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

a lot of them, but religion is right up there too

But they always end up the same way, poor men dying for rich men's assets.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
From my investment guys info... the dollar is screwed.... DEBT is going to kill us. Look at venzuella { don't know how to spell it, ha }. It takes a wheel narrow of money to buy a loaf of bread. The feds know all of this is coming and will soon come out with some form of block chain "FED COIN" that they have total control of because they bleed the dollar dry. You will never spend a fed coin that the fed does not approve of. They will approve or disapprove every transaction. THEY HATE CASH !! You can hide/ save cash and buy sell stuff with cash and the fed can't see it or control it. If the fed needs / wants more money they just take it. There will be no hiding any money, savings, purchases that are not controlled by the fed. China is going all crypto as has several other countries. China also has a deal that is all backed by gold. Want to sell some oil to china ? Their money is backed by gold. Can't remember what they call it, but it is cutting down the USD. IF you haven't figured it out yet... no one likes us and are trying to figure a way around HAVING to use the USD. Got some gold and silver BU and some 90% silver coins.. Hard to do a transaction with a 10 oz silver bar when all you need is a dime, huh ? My biggest insurance is bitcoin and the crypto / block chain. Feds can't touch it. China tried and then did a 180 and are going full digital soon. I think the Swiss are full digital. This IS coming whether or not you want or understand it. What scares me is what is going to happen to all my stock market investments when it all comes tumbling down. I was born poor and worked and saved all my life to get to where I am now and really do not care to give it up. Protect your self at all times. You might want to look HARD at some bitcoin... RIGHT NOW !! It is going to make a run this year......... Ray

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
And I wouldn't worry about having enough toilet paper.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I think Trump is showing us what inked paper is really worth. Print up some more. People will kill for it. Put a No 5 on some and a 20 on some. Put a match to each and see what each becomes.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
O
OldHat Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Read it twice.

Of course outside events can affect economies. Volcanos, harsh extended winters, extreme droughts, etc.,etc.

You start out with the wrong info and then act like you don’t understand other posters’ comments.

Do you have a specific point to make?
Specific point.

His response was one word. I did not need to read it twice.

My OP was a question.

What "info" of mine was wrong - exactly?

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1234, 01Foreman400, 160user, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,378
Posts18,488,518
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.