Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ejp1234
I spent some time in your state last spring coming down from Utah through the Kaibab, slowly making our way to Phoenix to fly home.

Gorgeous state...

Arent the fires a natural way to rejuvenate the fauna? I realize the obvious negatives towards the houses etc etc.... its not something we see back east so Im unsure, but did notice lots of areas on our tour that seemed recently burned, in fact I think from Flagstaff to Sedona on 89A was all charred up if I recall properly.

Hope everyone is safe.

Yeah, having lived through a very big AZ fire, I can tell you it may rejuvenate the fauna, and the flora, but the thing is the landscape is no longer "natural". Land use practices, encroachment of residences, and decades of fire suppression and lack of "thinning" had an absolutely horrible outcome in that fire, and that was 20 years ago.

I've seen, lived near, and lived in areas where there have been big fires since the 70's. I'm talking fires over 150K acres. And all the talk from the agencies (state and federal) , the biologists, the foresters, the academics, the "environmentalist groups" , and municipalities in high fire danger zones hasn't accomplished much. No one wants to pony up the bucks to address the issue, and they all seem to blame each other for the problem.

Saw the same thing regarding salmon issues in the PNW.

And you're right,one doesn't see these kind of fires back east very often. Not sure where you're at, but I lived near the Allegheny National Forest. About 500K acres. It's a big chunk of woods, and it would be hard to imagine 1/2 of that going up in flames in one event. Then again, that area rarely goes more than a couple of weeks without rain, unlike places out west that can go months without a drop.

One day, perhaps ,folks will actually stop fighting over it and address the issue. I have a sneaky suspicion I'll be long gone when that happens.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
About 15miles to Atlantic east lol..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by RedRabbit
Saw where there was an evacuation order for Punkin Center and Tonto Basin for the Bush fire.
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6773/

There is also the 24,000 acre Mangum fire on the North Kaibab, 12AW
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6748/

Mangum fire progression map for you Kaibab Hunters

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/map/6748/0/98078

Jeez Sycamore,

I just zoomed out on that map, y'all have quite a few going already and it's just halfway thru June. I hope you folks get some good moisture from the monsoons and not just dry lightning and winds.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ejp1234
About 15miles to Atlantic east lol..

Not many "forest fires" in the ocean, eh? grin

I do wish I was only 15 miles from an ocean. I miss it.

In it is contentment

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Land management agencies , Forest Service and BLM, are the nations largest fire dept, due to the fact they do very little management. Log it, graze it or watch it burn.

IC B2

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Ash falling like light snow all the way up here... leaving in a bit for home, via the Young road, 70 miles of dirt and twists, saves me about 60 miles going through showlow.

Haven't been all the way through the Young rd in awhile, hunt the top 30 miles a lot.

Kent

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hope your trip on the dirt goes well.

Something I kick myself in the butt for is not having taken that trip you're on today........for fun of course.

At least you have the alternative of a shortcut.

In it is contentment

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Great chance Mt. Lemmon is burning. It's in the pines there....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
#1 son and his hotshot crew just got sent to S Sw Colorado.

Think it is already his third fire in a still early season - looks like a busy summer.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GregW
Great chance Mt. Lemmon is burning. It's in the pines there....

they must be pounding it with air attack to keep it out of Summerhaven. when did the top burn last 2003?

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
IC B3

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Ash was falling and smoke for the last couple days at Christopher creek, took a quick shot of the smoke from the rim before I headed down the Young rd home... again a 90 minute drive turned into a 4 hour trip.

[Linked Image]

90 miles usually turned into 220 via Showlow or 160 via Young, Young road is mostly dirt and windy for 70+ miles... I decided Young rd... it"ll kick your ass but the views are spectacular. Traffic was light and I made good time, 30 minutes less than map quest estimate via Showlow... I hate the drive through Salt river canyon anyway. When you start down on the last stretch you are in pines then saguaros in about 10 miles, a true representation of the Arizona's riparian zones, it truly is an amazing state.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here's the fire cresting Four peaks and Ord heading into the Tonto basin, the winds are terrible and I'm afraid this is going to jump the Tonto and head for the Greenbacks, you can see Roosevelt lake, live embers have to be carried 10 to 20 miles as it crests, couple years ago I was fishing San Carlos lake and live embers were landing on me from a fire 40 miles away.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Somewhere in there....

Its really bad. I don't understand how this fire has done what it has done. They protected the buffel grass saguaro flats at 2500' in the foothills, a backfire at that, but didn't help the NE side of the flank, with 20+ MPH winds from the SW. All air attack..fire fighters would die on foot. Just a really really bad deal.

Hope I'm wrong but I think Lemmon is burning to the ground....

- Greg

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Unit 23 likely gonna burn too Kent ehh?

- Greg

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Saving grace was eating at El Reys in Miami, the best mex food in the world... course wife wanted her takeout and was waiting when I got home.

[Linked Image]

Kent

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
PS - Ali has killed 3 cows in the past 6 years less than 1/2 mile off that Young road Kent, on the high elevation side...grin...

- Greg

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by krp
Saving grace was eating at El Reys in Miami, the best mex food in the world... course wife wanted her takeout and was waiting when I got home.

[Linked Image]

Kent

I agree....

- Greg

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Unit 23 likely gonna burn too Kent ehh?

That's the scuttlebutt from the firefighters on the ground, winds are terrible. I'm hoping the Tonto creek is wide enough to stop it but a buddy that has a property on the other side said 1 inch live embers are falling already as the fire crests the peaks, If any of those start it;s a F'ing mess.

Kent

Last edited by krp; 06/16/20.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah - it's burning. Hope for an early storm on that area. If not 2-5 more weeks of fire....

- Greg

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
PS - Ali has killed 3 cows in the past 6 years less than 1/2 mile off that Young road Kent, on the high elevation side...grin...

Damn right it's a good area.

Kent

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Greg, one of these days we need to get together on a hunt, hell I can be camp cook or whatnot just to hang out.

Kent

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,061
Posts18,482,397
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.