Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
duck911 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Let's say the budget is $50. Can I get something serviceable in that price range?

Last edited by duck911; 06/17/20.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Baileysonline,, logging supply in N Ca,,

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Don't overlook Estwing in that price range. They make several different sizes, they're decent quality and made in USA.

D
duck911 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll take a look. Made in the USA is a hard requirement. I fly the flag in my camp so I'm not about to chop wood with something from Mexico or China.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I second estwings, they last forever and won't break your bank account.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by duck911
Let's say the budget is $50. Can I get something serviceable in that price range?

I believe your hatchet wound is big enough.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Fiskars.

I've got the X7 and the X15. The X15 sounds like what you are looking for. I picked mine up for $35 at Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars-23-in-X15-Chopping-Axe-78576935/202681754

Last edited by MontanaMarine; 06/17/20.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Council Tool in North Carolina. Excellent quality and good prices. Can be found in many places online, and Amazon (of course).

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If going for a Boy's axe from Council, go with the Sport Utility version. Better hung with a wood wedge and not the aluminum wedge they use in their other lines.

Think no shorter than a 28" haft.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Don't overlook Estwing in that price range. They make several different sizes, they're decent quality and made in USA.
I have an 18" Estwing. It's totally useless. It's too short to get a decent swing and the shank is too small to grip to use it as a hatchet. They make both hatchets and axes that are good but this in between size is worthless.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Although Husqvarna and a few other Swiss brands make good modern axes, as does Council Tool - particularly their Velvicut line, my recommendation would be to find an old American made boy's axe. Brands to look for are:

Snow & Nealley (the old ones)
Kelly (True Temper) Perfect
Chemical
Sager
Simmons - Keen Kutter
Craftsman
Plumb
True Temper - Flint Edge
Collins - Legitimus
Wetterlings
Emerson Stevens

The steel used in these old axes is very high quality, they were forged by hand by true experts, and just about any old axe head can be restored if it hasn't been abused. House Handles has excellent quality American Hickory hafts in every size and shape imaginable - even octagons, and they will hand-pick one for you for a nominal up charge. I also know of a feller that sells excellent wedges in various wood species - I purchased several Osage Orange and Black Locust ones from him and I am very pleased.

Feel free to contact me if you need any help or suggestions if you decide to go this route - I've restored several and I have a box full of heads yet to complete, but no boy's axe heads at this time - other than the Apple of my Eye - an old Snow and Nealley that I always carry with me in the woods. There's many of these old axes to be found on flea-bay, and if you're a bit patient, you'll find what you're looking for at a reasonable price. You can find them in many other places as well - garage sales, farms, antique stores, flea markets, etc.

These old axe patterns work wonderfully and I much prefer them to any modern axe. + you'll be saving a piece of history and putting it to good use.

If you do decide to go the "vintage" route and you need to re-haft, don't forget the BLO.

Good luck.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/18/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Check out eBay and find a vintage one to your liking. You could even find a good axe head and rehang it on the exact type of handle you want.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
High Noon,

I am truly impressed with your knowledge of axes.
Now I realize that you are the curator at a vintage axe museum. 😉👍

I was just going to mention that he should try to find an old one. LOL!
I've got a few to keep the property clear, but found an exceptionally nice one buried on my place. Surprised that it didnt take much sanding to restore it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks HC, but there's folks out there that know a helluva' lot more about axes than I do. What is the "nice one" you found?

I found a few photos of a few works in progress:

True Temper Flint Edge - lots of file work on this one:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Another True Temper - this one is a Perfect:

Another Perfect - double bit - just knocked the rust off & it needs lots more work:

& the Apple of my Eye, the Snow & Nealley, after 35 years of use and at least 3 hafts - just after a refurb:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/Y0M1iaF.jpg?1[/img]

I have several more, but they're boxed away right now. Currently, I've got my eye out for a Flint Edge 3 lb. Connecticut pattern.

EDIT: I cannot get the Snow & Nealley to post within this thread, I'll try again later. Need sleep now...

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/18/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have my share of old heads and agree that you can assemble one for much 'cheaper' than buying an axe.

I also know some people have no desire to do so nor ability. I'd say I'm right about the 50% on rejects from House Handles. If I order from them and need 5 handles, I order a dozen so I'll get 5 good ones. That's how I did it in the past, I have since found a more reliable source.

Fancy wood wedges do nothing, but it does seem that people prefer to show off axes more these days than use them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TrieD several axes. Chopping up fire wood is one of my favorite hobbies while camping. I first bought a camillus waorani. It’s actually quite handy for stuff under 3”. It’s not fatiguing really at all. It’s also very accurate on cut placement. I have a hults bruk Akka. A estwing camp axe. And older hand forged long handle axe. A fiskars hatchet. And a husqvarna 13” hatchet. For me when you have use 2 hands the fatigue level goes off the charts. Yeah you can cut bigger stuff but man it just gasseS me out. The husqvarna hatchet is perfect for one hand and about the heaviest head I wanna Swing. Its
by far became my favorite camp fire cutter. The estwing is so dull. Even after sharpening it still doesn’t cut that well. The fiskars is a pretty good splitter with its wedge head. Metal is soft yet easy to sharpen. The hults bruk is just a bad size. It’s too long for one hand, but too small to be a great 2 hand axe.

At one point I carried 3 axes in my truck. After trying all of them the husky hatchet is all I carry. Works great on stuff up to about 5 inches. Comes with a decent edge and cuts wood like a scalpel compared to the other axes. Still have not resharpened mine. Highly recommend the husky hatchet. Still carry the waorani as well

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 06/18/20.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
TrieD several axes. Chopping up fire wood is one of my favorite hobbies while camping. I first bought a camillus waorani. It’s actually quite handy for stuff under 3”. It’s not fatiguing really at all. It’s also very accurate on cut placement. I have a hults bruk Akka. A estwing camp axe. And older hand forged long handle axe. A fiskars hatchet. And a husqvarna 13” hatchet. For me when you have use 2 hands the fatigue level goes off the charts. Yeah you can cut bigger stuff but man it just gasseS me out. The husqvarna hatchet is perfect for one hand and about the heaviest head I wanna Swing. Its
by far became my favorite camp fire cutter. The estwing is so dull. Even after sharpening it still doesn’t cut that well. The fiskars is a pretty good splitter with its wedge head. Metal is soft yet easy to sharpen. The hults bruk is just a bad size. It’s too long for one hand, but too small to be a great 2 hand axe.

At one point I carried 3 axes in my truck. After trying all of them the husky hatchet is all I carry. Works great on stuff up to about 5 inches. Comes with a decent edge and cuts wood like a scalpel compared to the other axes. Still have not resharpened mine. Highly recommend the husky hatchet. Still carry the waorani as well

Hatchets aren't axes.

I think far too many people go for the 'short' handles because they don't understand nor know how to use an axe. You post is a great example.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, they are nice especially that Butte in the link!
Nothing like using the best tools to get the job done.

My new phone has an app that wants too many permissions to send pics, so this weekend I'll try to remember to change that. I'll try to get some pics then. Unfortunately the stamp rusted off. I just know that it takes an edge and holds one better than my newer antique hatchets and axes.
My Dad shared some old knives that had those characteristics pre and post WWII. The steel was from a German mine....the knives that is.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

487 members (160user, 219 Wasp, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 39 invisible), 13,735 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,115
Posts18,542,159
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.