Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bruinruin
My dad is still alive. He'll turn 80 on August 14th of this year. He's the youngest of 3 remaining children of a brood of 9. He's a lifelong tobacco user and his lungs sound like chitt, but he's still sharp and somewhat active, and not afraid to turn a wrench or dig a post hole, but it would take him longer than it would have even just 5 years ago. He's a good man and I've told him so, telling him that he's my hero, but he's too humble to really accept the title.

He buried his second wife almost 2 years ago and he's been sort of drifting ever since. Sold his home and bought a used RV and planning to bounce around between staying with one of his kids or step-kids.

Anyway, thanks to the OP for the thread, (sobering as it is) because it gave me the nudge I needed to call my Dad yesterday evening after weeks of meaning to do so, only to put it off to another day.

Good Boy Scot, enjoy the old timer while you can.

A couple months ago one of the guys I work with was complaining about something stupid his dad spent some money on, When it was my turn to talk I just said, I sure wish my dad was still around to bitch about, he turned and walked away.

Two hours later he came up to me and said, Your right, Thanks Paul.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

GB1

L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Thank you all for your contributions here. I've been thinking so much about my Dad lately, I don't know why. God I miss him.

Well here's a toast then to the fellas, good and bad, who gave us our time in the Sun.

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I won't know or care

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Don't know about my father, but I was holding my step-dad's hand when he passed. I honestly can't say what his last words were. We were talking a little a few minutes earlier. Soon he just left.

Last edited by ST50; 06/19/20.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I watched my father die from a battle with cancer when I was 14. The last words I remember him saying were where he was asking me who helped me get dressed. I was helping him get his pants back on after using the restroom. That moment right there was when i realized my father was going to die. I knew he had cancer and had been told he was going to pass away but somehow in my young mind I didn't comprehend it. After that afternoon with him my mom brought my sister to see him the next morning. By then he was totally incoherent.My sister had a chance to say goodbye and he passed away within minutes.That was a life changing experience for obvious reasons. It took a long time and a lot of heartache to finally accept and deal with my fathers death. It's been almost 30 years since that day and I hardly ever think about it anymore. I would give anything to have a conversation or just a few minutes with him again.

Last edited by gritsnfishin1; 06/19/20.
IC B2

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
"Son, what are you doing with that pillow?!"

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
son clear my browser cache

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The general consensus was Dad was a real prick, and he was. Told me not to trust my mother, wish I had listened. Died of stage 4 cancer and dementia/alzheimer's.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gritsnfishin1
I watched my father die from a battle with cancer when I was 14.
That’s an awful thing for a 14 y/o boy to have to experience.
Originally Posted by gritsnfishin1
I would give anything to have a conversation or just a few minutes with him again.
Nice sentiments. Me too.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Originally Posted by hanco
Never knew my real father, saw him twice. My step fathers were “ You graduated high School. Get the Fuuck out of my house! “

My friend Greg had a step father like that. Greg graduated from high school on June 1, and when he got home after the ceremonies, step father gave him the graduation present, a 3 piece set of matching luggage, and said "Get the Fuuck out of my house!"

Greg never spoke to him again.

I was very lucky with my 2nd step-dad. I was 17 when he married my mother. We became close, hunted, fished, and worked together for about 20 years. He died kinda young at 69. I was with him and mom. I was holding his hand and cried for a while.Hard to think about it still. I should have spent more time with him than I did. I don't think my mother appreciated or treated him as well as he deserved.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
"What are you people doing to me?"
Spoken to the nurses and doctors trying to keep him alive.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Take care of your mother" as he was wheeled into the ER for his third emergency surgery. He never made it off the table.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
there's a lot of people who lost parents in the last 3 months, and they were never allowed to see them through

i know the wuhan virus isn't nearly the catastrophe it was hyped up to be, but this circumstance was pretty bad

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your posts here have been very interesting, some are fittingly humorous and many are elevating and inspiring. Thanks for your sharing.

Some men believe that they had the very best dad possible - I like to hear that, and certainly feel that way about my father. He was a great man - wise, very strong physically and mentally, gentle ad loving with us, tough as an anvil, an outstanding athlete, very competitive and very loyal. He was a true Christian man and lived life that way. My mother felt so blessed to have him as her own, and the years have showed me why.

Dad fought some serious illnesses between the ages 65 and 69 and I was with him often during that period. He was battling stage 4 melanoma when I flew across the US to visit him during the first week of Feb.1986, Although he was much weakened and in pain, it was a wonderful visit. I barely left his room there at home and we were able to reminisce and discuss many meaningful things in our lives. One thing very much on his mind was to make certain that mother received something very special from him on Valentine's Day. My siblings and I arranged for that. I do not know his last utterance because, after a lovely good bye talk, I flew back West to another reality. He died within a week in the care of my mother. That was many years ago and that experience during his final days caused me to become a more thoughtful and better man - not does a single day pass that I do not think of him and remember his wisdom and love.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 673, 18 invisible), 1,413 guests, and 971 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,865
Posts18,478,668
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.