Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I want to get my father in law an electric knife for filleting fish. His current one is on the fritz. This would be used quite a bit.

I'd appreciate any suggestions regarding brands or things to consider.

Thanks -tnscouter

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've had a bunch of different ones.
To me, one is about as good as the
other JMHO get the cheapest one
you can find and a couple of sets
of blades
If he doesn't have one, get him
one of the Rapala cutproof gloves
too

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I meant to add that if you can find
what you want cheap enough, you
might want to look at a 110v and
a 12 volt unit too, especially if the
blades interchange

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I use one a couple times a week this time of the year on crappie and Saugeye, maybe some sandbass or big perch. I will not buy one that isn’t 12v/110v compatible. When possible it’s so nice to clean a mess of fish out at the pond or lake and leave the scraps there instead of having to deal with hauling them off before the stench arrives, the 12v on either a trolling motor battery or the socket in the truck makes that possible.
I currently have a Rapala. The blades are good, well shaped, sharp, and just the right thickness. I don’t think the motor has enough ommph for my liking, RPMs not quite high enough. Other than that and the ridiculously small case that you can never get the cord back into, it’s been a good unit for two seasons.

I’ve read that the Mr Twisters are higher RPM, I’ll probably try one when this one craps out.

Brother in law had a battery operated Rapala with rechargeable batteries like a drill. It was great for taking to the lake but the batteries croaked in a year and they’re more than the whole unit to replace.

Best ever if you don’t care about using it out at the lake are the old Oster bread knives. Straight blade and super high RPMs. Filleted a thousand crappie with one as a kid and my Grandad is still rocking one he got in the 70’s.

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
stxhunter: Thank you for the suggestion. It's quite a knife.

I love my father in law but $245 for an electric knife is a bit much. Plus he would not be happy if I spent that kind of money. He's a hard working farmer and respects a dollar.

Thanks -tnscouter

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
American angler, tried a couple others but never cut as well, I haven't tried them all though. I have the old 12v and 110v so can use wherever. I first started using a regular kitchen electric knife many moons ago and really they do fine if you have 110v.

Kent

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
https://americananglerusa.com/colle...ucts/10-heavy-duty-efk-replacement-blade

This is the blade I've been using lately and it works well even on crappie.

Kent

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Fellows thanks for the replies. This is the strength of the 'Fire. The collective knowledge, experience, and helpfulness.

TheKid and Ranger99: Thanks for your suggestions. I ordered a Mr. Twister for 20 bucks and he'll have it for Father's Day. It got great reviews on outdoor sites and Amazon. We are finding out his glove size and I'll be sending him a cut proof glove asap.

stxhunter: Thanks for showing me the Cadillac of knives. It is amazing what is out there. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it.

Thanks -tnscouter

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have a Mr Twister now AC only. Had a Rapala 12v/ 110 before it. Liked the Rapala better.

IC B3

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
One thing you have to watch out for is overheating the unit, but I've fillet 300 crappie at one time, you need two units if extended filleting.

It's the blades that make the knife. I'm gonna say that I've used the mr twister and berkley about 10 years ago and they were crap... that was 10 years ago.

Kent

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When that Mr Twister one dies (in the near future) get an American Angler knife. Mine is a 110-v model, and I carry a small inverter I can plug into my car's 12v outlet in case there's no house power available.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by TheKid
I use one a couple times a week this time of the year on crappie and Saugeye, maybe some sandbass or big perch. I will not buy one that isn’t 12v/110v compatible. When possible it’s so nice to clean a mess of fish out at the pond or lake and leave the scraps there instead of having to deal with hauling them off before the stench arrives, the 12v on either a trolling motor battery or the socket in the truck makes that possible.
I currently have a Rapala. The blades are good, well shaped, sharp, and just the right thickness. I don’t think the motor has enough ommph for my liking, RPMs not quite high enough. Other than that and the ridiculously small case that you can never get the cord back into, it’s been a good unit for two seasons.

I’ve read that the Mr Twisters are higher RPM, I’ll probably try one when this one craps out.

Brother in law had a battery operated Rapala with rechargeable batteries like a drill. It was great for taking to the lake but the batteries croaked in a year and they’re more than the whole unit to replace.

Best ever if you don’t care about using it out at the lake are the old Oster bread knives. Straight blade and super high RPMs. Filleted a thousand crappie with one as a kid and my Grandad is still rocking one he got in the 70’s.

Yep, but if the fish dedicated ones didnt have those mean looking teeth sticking out that are so good about digging into the vertebrae or skin rather than the shallower, rounded teeth that glide over such, like the old carving or bread knives, fishermen wouldn't buy them.

Last edited by jaguartx; 06/19/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
The blade I listed is the best I've used, it's newer as in the last couple years. Some blades run true and smooth, others go wherever they want at any time, some cut through ribs easy and others struggle.

Kent

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Bubba has a 110 volt only option you might like.

Bubba

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Roger, Kent & 'Kid;

I've literally filleted a bazillion fish in my 54 years & never used, or thought I need one.

Can you explain to me, the why ?

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Roger, Kent & 'Kid;

I've literally filleted a bazillion fish in my 54 years & never used, or thought I need one.

it's so much quicker when you have a lot of fish to do, you can do 36 big snapper pretty quick.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
American Angler has been the best I’ve used in the past 10 years. My current one is orange.

The cordless Bubba doesn’t have the ass like the 110v Bubba. I know a guy that just bought one so we will see at the end of the summer how it is holding up.

CK
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Roger, Kent & 'Kid;

it's so much quicker when you have a lot of fish to do, you can do 36 big snapper pretty quick.

I'd love to video you doing a few.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I had a Mister Twister for years. When that failed I got the Rapala. It sucked! I went back to Mister Twister.

I use a regular fillet knife a lot also. It's much easier to get the bones out of a pike with one of those, IMO.

Last edited by Rooster7; 06/19/20.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

207 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 1minute, 260Remguy, 264mag, 204guy, 31 invisible), 2,151 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,116
Posts18,483,456
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.