Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 1minute
Wildhobbybobby:

Lots of stuff there that I'd leave in the woods. Any odd shapes or sizes that screw up the stack get left. Neighbor's wife, however, brings everything in including the face cut wedges and any large knots we knock off. For Christmas last year I got her a nice foxtail brush and dust pan so she could sweep the sawdust from the forest floor. Looks good there. We're a bit short on hardwoods in this area.

I burn my wood in a Lopi fireplace insert, and short cuts work best in it. I cleaned up the remnants of a timber cut. The older wood, ends and oddball pieces are stacked around the perimeter of the pile to make them easy to use first. The main stack consists of the nice looking stuff.

We have a pretty good choice of wood around here. Oak, maple, ash, white and yellow birch are the main species I use, with an odd bit of ironwood, basswood and cherry here and there.

Somehow I think you probably work harder for your firewood where you are than I do here. Nice looking pile!

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 06/24/20.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes, those guys out west don't get to burn oak.
I lived in Washington State for a year, right near the Idaho line. Everybody had a wood stove. I told the guys about burning oak back in Georgia, they thought I was kidding.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Nice work guys.

I have a cord or so left from last winter, I'll get to cutting and splitting soon.

This is how I git-r-done.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
MontanaMarine: I suspect your pictured gear is used for just a bit more than fueling the home fires. A loader would make things a slight bit quicker as we buck stuff up before loading in the woods.

Wish we had some Osage in this country, but I don't recall ever seeing any really towering specimens when I lived back east.

On stoves- there was a Lopi in this house when we moved in. Worked fairly well, but had a shallow fire box that spilled a lot of ash out the front. Went to a catalytic Blaze King with a lot more depth and can go the entire winter without spilling or shoveling out ash. The catalytic converter cut my wood consumption by about 20% too. It's a pain in the butt though, as one has to light his fire and wait abut 20 minutes until the box is up to temp before diverting chimney flow through the converter. With our older straight stoves one could just toss in a match and leave for the day.

At purchase I thought the converter might have a limited lifespan. It's ceramic, was purchased in 2008, and is still performing well.

Last edited by 1minute; 06/23/20.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Simon,

it depends on where in the west one happens to be if there's oak available.

We had some in AZ, SoCal, and over the hill from us here in NorCal oak is the preferred stuff. Over on the coast there is tree called "tanoak" as the bark was used like oak bark for tanning. Very similar firewood qualities. Goodly amount of oak in central OR and WA too.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
1 minute and the rest of you guys are way ahead of me.

I've still got one layer of 14-16" splits in the shed, I used only 2 or so this year. My firewood guy dropped off a bunch of juniper logs last winter, he's coming over soon to cut the smaller ends off for fence posts and cut the but ends into rounds for me to split later.

Not sure what this coming winter will look like, but 3-4 cords will likely do it. There's a 1/2 cord of ponderosa rounds out there to split, but I mostly save that for campfires.

I'm in no hurry, we have decent fall weather when I can split it and warm myself twice.

Montana guy, bending over like that with the saw doesn't hurt your back....................yet???

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,694 guests, and 1,443 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,609
Posts18,492,430
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.