Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
What am I gonna tell all those dogs who eat cow schit full of grain?

Do the chickens save them any?

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My Grandpa had a Border Collie that loved steaming hot cow crap.Never got sick on it.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Shît eating chickens

Those are the best eggs

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by slumlord

Do the chickens save them any?

Only if they get to it before the dung beetles.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
My last dog never ate dog food of any kind and lived to be 15.5. She lived primarily on venison her whole life with rabbit, chicken, beef and pork thrown in occasionally. We did mix rice with the meat sometimes and she liked it fine.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
I know this was discussed before, but a search didn't turn up anything. Our vet says grain free dog food could lead to heart issues for them. We've fed grain free (from Tractor Supply) for quite a few years and so far no issues. What say the dog owners here?

All those poor wild foxes, coyotes, and wolves have to somehow make do without any grains in their diets. How do they survive?

They haven't spent 20,000 years adapting to eat everything humans do.

Alternatively, God intelligent designed them not to need grain.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It's a hard-knock life...

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Huntz
My Grandpa had a Border Collie that loved steaming hot cow crap.Never got sick on it.

Bear left a big steaming pile in driveway a couple weeks ago, 6 month lab gobbled it all up.
About 4PM, I kept her out until 9 waiting.
She held just shy of 12 hours.......nice middle of the night barf. And being the good girl she is she came into bedroom to do it.

FJB & FJT
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My dogs have been "grain free" for over 20 years. No problems. The issue has to do with faulty genes in the individual dogs/breeds, not the lack of grains in their diet. Most vets I know are also salesmen for the dog food companies for which they sell product. Our vet sells Science Diet. He is not going to say that a grain free diet is good and be a hypocrite in the eyes of his customers.

The high content of legumes in some grain free dog foods would be be the place to look long before blaming a lack of grains.

If grains were such an important part of dogs' diets, Iowa would be over run with wolves, instead of Montana and Wyoming.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I know this was discussed before, but a search didn't turn up anything. Our vet says grain free dog food could lead to heart issues for them. We've fed grain free (from Tractor Supply) for quite a few years and so far no issues. What say the dog owners here?

All those poor wild foxes, coyotes, and wolves have to somehow make do without any grains in their diets. How do they survive?

Exactly. We do grain free but they still get some when "unauthorized feedings" fall from our table smile Our Aussies are 16 (almost) and 13 and in great health.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by SBTCO
My dogs have been "grain free" for over 20 years. No problems. The issue has to do with faulty genes in the individual dogs/breeds, not the lack of grains in their diet. Most vets I know are also salesmen for the dog food companies for which they sell product. Our vet sells Science Diet. He is not going to say that a grain free diet is good and be a hypocrite in the eyes of his customers.

The high content of legumes in some grain free dog foods would be be the place to look long before blaming a lack of grains.

If grains were such an important part of dogs' diets, Iowa would be over run with wolves, instead of Montana and Wyoming.

This^^^^^ only to add, not all grain free dog foods are created equal. Almost all of them source stuff from Asia. I had problems several years ago with Taste of the Wild. Since switching to Origen all our dogs do better, no health problems at all. If you’re serious about your dog you bite the bullet and feed it right.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dietary regime...

First two years or so prob'ly cheapest available plus garbage.

Then prob'ly about a month of just garbage.

Then two months of Purina One.

And now a whole week of mostly cheap raw ground pork, the package says 20% fat but looks and feels like 50, about a pound and a half a day..

So far so good smile

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Twenty years back we started out with Beneful, until we noticed the dogs would pick out all the red pieces first, and their craps were large and sloppy, perhaps from all the cornmeal filler.

Ya can spend a mint on dog food of course, settled on Purina One as a step up but not extravagant. Never had a problem.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

BS flag there Jim.
They only eat steaks, chops, and burger. Everyone knows that.
wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our dog's on the high end stuff from Costco. Mix it up every trip. Yellow bag, red bag, blue bag. No grain. He's pretty healthy (other than a bout with cancer 5 years ago).

He gets his 'grain' supplement from eating deer crap. Usually pukes it back up after a bit. Good times...

Carpe' Scrotum
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus

They haven't spent 20,000 years adapting to eat everything humans do..

"Feeding" dogs is a fairly recent occurrence. In primitive cultures, even today dogs aren't "fed." They are mostly expected to get their meat from rats and such. Even when we started intentionally feeding them, till fairly recently, that meant tossing them guts, heads, feet, etc.. after the hunt or livestock slaughter. Dog food is only about a century old concept.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender

BS flag there Jim.
They only eat steaks, chops, and burger. Everyone knows that.
wink

BEWARE bringing your dog around public fishing spots where people hang our for hours at a time. Most dogs love to eat human sh&t, almost as much as they do rolling in it sick

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It is a complete myth that wild canines (or cats) eat a pure meat diet. When a coyote/wolf/bobcat/lion kills an animal, the very first thing they consume are the innards. THAT's where they get the grains and vegetables they need. They don't start on the parts we think of as meat until the guts are completely gone.

The diet you feed them ought to match nature. We can't buy innards, but we can buy feeds with a proportion of plant matter in the form of grains and vegetables.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The animals that canids hunt don't eat much grain at all, other than incidental amounts. Grasses and other wild greens, nuts, and such are not grains. Sure, there's some nutritional benefit to greens and such, so they are included in my dogs' diet by the inclusion of a product called Base Mix, by The Honest Kitchen. I also add a bit of raw liver to each meal.

[Linked Image from img.chewy.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

They don't eat grass bags?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by RemModel8
We buy lots of 10 pound leg quarters and rice for the dogs.

We’ve been picking up those lately for .59 cent a lb.

I don’t do the raw thing with my dogs but even with several family members, none of us can seem to finish off a complete bag of quarters after I smoke them on the frankengrill.

I’ll cut it off the bone after ‘last call’ in the fridge at about the 3 day mark.

Might not be too great on doggie gut with the sauce and smoke seasonings but they seem to really enjoy.
We don’t go overtly spicy when I grill anyway.

The Pig had fresh quarters on sale for 29 cents a pound last week. So $2.90 for a 10 pound package. We stocked up. Yeah, I cook it all.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

287 members (264mag, 1_deuce, 204guy, 260Remguy, 29aholic, 28 invisible), 2,015 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,755
Posts18,476,345
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.