Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
I know this was discussed before, but a search didn't turn up anything. Our vet says grain free dog food could lead to heart issues for them. We've fed grain free (from Tractor Supply) for quite a few years and so far no issues. What say the dog owners here?

All those poor wild foxes, coyotes, and wolves have to somehow make do without any grains in their diets. How do they survive?

They don't eat grass bags?

Wild canids generally eat the animal whole if they can. If they're too large, they leave only the bones they cannot break.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My labs eat hickory nuts, dozens of mature shagbarks and pignut on the bluff here beside the house.

Crunch them and swallow up the hard parts too.

They’ll eat greasy lava rock and pork juice impregnated ash and coals if I let them.

Hard to ‘baby proof’ the yard from opportunistic foragers.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I know this was discussed before, but a search didn't turn up anything. Our vet says grain free dog food could lead to heart issues for them. We've fed grain free (from Tractor Supply) for quite a few years and so far no issues. What say the dog owners here?

All those poor wild foxes, coyotes, and wolves have to somehow make do without any grains in their diets. How do they survive?

Hardly any grain in those grass bags, though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I switched from 4health at tractor supply to Eagle Pack for my 80 pound lab. Here are the ingredients:

Chicken Meal, Pork Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Rice, Dehulled Barley, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Tomato Pomace, Flaxseed, Brewers Dried Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins [Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Thiamine Mononitrate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid], Minerals [Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate], Taurine, Calcium Carbonate, Mixed Tocopherols added to preserve freshness, Inulin, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus licheniformis Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Product, Dried Trichoderma reesei Fermentation Product, Dried Rhizopus oryzae Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract, Green Tea Extract, Spearmint Extract.

This is a naturally preserved product

Here is the review on Eagle Pack for Large Breeds:

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/eagle-pack-dog-food/

Top rated grain free and grain added:

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/eagle-pack-dog-food/

Last edited by Sakoluvr; 06/24/20.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Coyotes and fox also catch and eat birds, which do contain quite a bit of grain. Coyotes will also eagerly eat fruits, insects, and other foods that "round out" their diet far beyond just meat. My point is that plant-based foods are very important to canines.

Last edited by RockyRaab; 06/24/20.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Mine also went to McDonalds regularly. She loved Mcnuggets and hamburgers.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Dogs are apex predators so they should be eating like one. Their digestive systems are too short to adequately digest grains. That's why they will eat the offal and shizl of herbivores. It's predigested. If you feed them commercial sack feed, they'll make 2-4 steaming piles in your yard each day because they can't process the fillers. Puppies on sack feed are constantly hungry because they aren't getting enough nutrition/volume.

Google up "BARF Diet."

We had a sweet rescue dog that had skin pustules and other problems when we got her. A savvy vet told us of the BARF diet. After a couple weeks of Costco organic frozen veggies/fruit whizzed up on a food processor with Costco chicken thighs heated up a tad in a sauce pan with a little water (think of how warm a freshly killed critter is when a wolf eats it) and sprinkled with some Brewer's Yeast, she had a beautiful coat, her teeth and gums were healthy. Also gave her about 500mg of vitamin C stuck into the thigh meat on occassion. The best part was she only dropped one deuce a day that I didn't even bother to pick up because it didn't reek and was just a bit of bone and the little bit that she couldn't completely absorb. They would turn white in a couple days and just disintegrate on their own. The cost was less than premium commercial feed. We'd make up the veggies in such a quantity so they'd keep in the fridge for about a week. For a 65# dog, she'd get one serving with a thigh in the morning and one in the evening.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Mine also went to McDonalds regularly. She loved Mcnuggets and hamburgers.

It's a wonder that you're on unemployment.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Dietary regime...

First two years or so prob'ly cheapest available plus garbage.

Then prob'ly about a month of just garbage.

Then two months of Purina One.

And now a whole week of mostly cheap raw ground pork, the package says 20% fat but looks and feels like 50, about a pound and a half a day..

So far so good smile

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Twenty years back we started out with Beneful, until we noticed the dogs would pick out all the red pieces first, and their craps were large and sloppy, perhaps from all the cornmeal filler.

Ya can spend a mint on dog food of course, settled on Purina One as a step up but not extravagant. Never had a problem.

Keepers for sure.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Dietary regime...

First two years or so prob'ly cheapest available plus garbage.

Then prob'ly about a month of just garbage.

Then two months of Purina One.

And now a whole week of mostly cheap raw ground pork, the package says 20% fat but looks and feels like 50, about a pound and a half a day..

So far so good smile

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Twenty years back we started out with Beneful, until we noticed the dogs would pick out all the red pieces first, and their craps were large and sloppy, perhaps from all the cornmeal filler.

Ya can spend a mint on dog food of course, settled on Purina One as a step up but not extravagant. Never had a problem.

Keepers for sure.

Two left, Yo.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Coyotes and fox also catch and eat birds, which do contain quite a bit of grain. Coyotes will also eagerly eat fruits, insects, and other foods that "round out" their diet far beyond just meat. My point is that plant-based foods are very important to canines.

But not grains, to any great extent. They have zero need for grains of any type.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I fed grain free for quite a few years. My dogs really slacked off eating it. I noticed that the vet didn't sell grain free food and asked what she fed her dogs. It was some form of Purina. Just find a quality food that they like to eat was what I took out of our conversation

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That depends on a lot of factors, including your definition of grain.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
A grain is the seed part of the plant.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

That depends on a lot of factors, including your definition of grain.

I read up on that. when a coyote kills a animal such as a deer the first thing they eat is their stomach contents which contains all the grain they need... I just found a rabbit in my yard yestardey, and all that was eaten or had any damage was his stomach. all his guts were gone and I remembered about the grain thing and thought of a coyote killing the rabbit.. there are coyotes here .but not many..

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
We fed our mixed breed (terrier and hound) 4 Health from Tractor Supply for years. In the last year or two she started feeling sluggish and grouchy. We thought it was from old age. Last month, she got really sick and started throwing up and her bowels shut down. After a lot of money and treatment at the vet, we put her on a prescription Kidney diet that the vet sells. She acts like a new dog now. I am amazed how she has perked up. From what I gathered, the food we were giving her had too much fats and oils, and her body wasn't handling it well. The vet didn't think she would bounce back like she has being 10 years old.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Wonder what they fed this good boy.
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have an adopted mutt. We got her at 4 months after she came north to Vermont from Louisiana in a rescue truck. She is a real beauty, brindle in color and must have some plott and pit mix in there. Super nose and loves the water with big webbed feet. Just a mutt but I wouldn't sell her for a million bucks. The vet said stay away from non grain feed and we give her Wellness lamb and barley. Life is good for her here on Lake Champlain,

living the good life every day
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Morewood
Wonder what they fed this good boy.
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]

Wow. God bless him.

When I was a kid, we got a chihuahua puppy who lived to be 18, but she didn't look nearly that good when we took her in for her last vet visit. Deaf, blind, toothless, and unable to stand by then. Poor old girl. She made 18 years, though. No special diet, either. Mostly table scraps.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Two left, Yo.

I guess you were never a fan of Bob Barker.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 3,002 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,754
Posts18,514,720
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.