Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bugs4
I'll never have anything but German Shorthairs but they do shed. If I didn't want to hunt birds and the dog hair was an issue I would take a good long look at an Airedale.
I had an Airedale once. Great dog. Ate every damn cat he could get a hold of. Apparently thought they were delicious.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
So sorry..take care !

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Lab. Black.

Shepherd. German.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't do it again myself. We went with goldfish. If they get sick, they go see Doctor John.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
German Shepherd

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
PM Birdwatcher, he just had some pups.

Funny, I was just having a snack and thought about that too. I think he had two not spoken for as of last night.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I've always been fond of Labs and my wife Cockers. When we put down her last Cocker, we said no more dogs until we retire. That lasted about a year and we've recently re-homed a couple of field bred Springers from a kennel retiring them from breeding. They are a mother/daughter pair that have been together their entire lives and we have no regrets in the decision (though they do shed than we like). My brother is a GSP fan and I've been around a couple of his dogs which would certainly be a consideration for me starting over.

Last edited by JGray; 06/25/20.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've had two German Shepherds. Got one right now. Good guard dogs. Very territorial. Protective of their humans. Shed like crazy. Too big to be good couch/lap dogs. Eats like a horse. Prone to hip problems.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Vizsla

Interesting. Never heard of them, but just looked them up. Thanks Dan!

Nice dogs,

It's highly likely you'll have to give it a good amount of exercise regularly. Be prepared if that's your choice.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've had two German Shepherds. Got one right now. Good guard dogs. Very territorial. Protective of their humans. Shed like crazy. Too big to be good couch/lap dogs. Eats like a horse. Prone to hip problems.

Lost my Shepherd over Memorial Day Weekend. He was my second.

There will be a third, eventually.

Never want a dog in my lap or on the furniture. At my feet keeping my feet warm.

But you are correct about the hair.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Lost my Shepherd over Memorial Day Weekend. He was my second.

There will be a third, eventually.
I lost my best buddy May 24 to cancer. He was a beagle cross of unknown parentage. A rescue from the SPCA. He was 12 years and 9 months old. Best dog I ever had. I miss him terribly.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Go to your local shelter and let one pick you.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Sorry to hear about loosing you buddy, that is a very tough thing. We had a mix for a number of years, he was a Katrina pup and was estimated to be 12weeks when we got him and was a wonderful dog but lord did he shed! My wife said she could knit a new dog every day just from the sweepings.

We now have a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. Very affectionate dog, about 50 lbs and not a bad shedder and very eager to please. Fairly high energy but nothing like the German Shorthairs. She is pretty self entertaining and looks like she’ll be an excellent tracking dog for wounded deer. At 5 months old she tracked one for a friend of mine. Not a great security dog as she loves everybody she meets and is more likely to invite a burglar in than to bite him but really good with kids.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you need an alert dog you don't have to vacuum after, just about any poodle dog that will finish better than 12 inches or so at the shoulder will work.

Under that size, there's a tendency to be psycho and stupid that gets worse the smaller they finish. But we actually had two miniatures that could hunt pheasant. They basically copied a champion German Shorthair, and after he died, they still hunted as we discovered to our shock on a group pheasant outing. Retrieves were kind of rough, but they'd find, flush and spot. This was when they were 9 and 11 years old, so that didn't last, but it was pretty neat.

My Dad's current pair, littermate spayed dams, are fantastic dogs. Good natured, athletic, only bark when necessary (LOUD), overall "with the program."

So smart poodles are SMART. But they can develop minds of their own if not cultivated from the start.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by ironbender
Go to your local shelter and let one pick you.

I really like the sound of this, but plan to research some of the other breeds recommended as well. Got a little time. Have learned that a person just doesn't show up at the pound anymore - its all choreographed in advance for COVID reasons.

Just called a buddy of mine up in VA who I have pheasant and duck hunted with. Dog guy, of the pointer/retriever ilk. Knows his dogs, and knows our family situation as well. He says poodle too.

Thanks everyone for their views so far! Really helpful.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Blackmouth Cur or Airedale.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't consider any other bred than Belgian Malinois .

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have two labs now but have had many breeds. Labs are great for my life now, hunting and hiking a ton, but I will get back to Rottweilers. Have had many and my last male was imported. Cost a pretty penny but was everything you could ever want in a dog. Excellent with the kids as well.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Jack Russell Terriers

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Yellow Lab is all that. 115 pounds of lap dog, very intelligent, protective, travels well, stays with me everywhere I go. Loves to go fishing, Sheds on everything.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (260Remguy, 1minute, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,424
Posts18,489,150
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.