Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
Lennie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
https://greekcitytimes.com/2020/06/24/greek-american-killed-by-new-york-police-as-neighbour-clapped/

A 29-year-old Greek-American was killed by police in New York’s borough of Queens, after a neighbour misreported that he was carrying a gun inside his own home.

George Zapantis, who suffered from bipolar, was in his basement dressed as a gladiator and was carrying a samurai sword when police arrived at his house on 150th St just before 9:30pm.

When police entered the house, they ordered Zapantis to drop the sword, but when he refused to, they tasered him. As they attempted to handcuff him outside of the house, police tasered him again.

It is suspected he died of cardiac arrest in an ambulance and was pronounced dead at New York-Presbyterian Queens hospital.

Upstairs neighbours Ricky Noble, 42, and his 16-year-old daughter Shakira, described Zapantis as a church-going man who took care of his 33-year-old sister with down syndrome.

The two witnesses said Zapantis was threatening no one with the sword when the neighbour called the police on him, with things escalating quickly once cops arrived. The video indicates the suspect was unarmed when finally arrested.

“There were moments where George did say that he couldn’t breath to (police), when they were pulling on his shirt,” said Shakira. “And the officers said ‘Don’t play that card, no one’s choking you.‘”

Athanasia Zapantis said the family was waiting for the results of an independent autopsy on her son’s cause of death, and expressed her frustration that police didn’t call in a social worker to defuse the situation.

“If my son was wrong…” she said. “I don’t think he was wrong at all. He had so good a heart. He was kind to everybody.”

A video taken by a neighbour show cops tasering Zapantis as they struggled with him outside the door to his apartment, with one officer shouting “Get down! You’re going to get tasered again if you don’t get down!”

A second cop is heard saying “Hit him again!” before Zapantis was tasered once more.

Ricky Noble, a neighbour of Zapantis, blamed another neighbour entirely for the incident and described the deceased as a good person who often brought them Greek food, caused no trouble and looked after his down syndrome sister.

“My wife loved it,” said Noble when reflecting on the Greek food Zapantis would bring him and his wife. “He’s good. He’s a good human being. He was a good person.”

“I told the officers he’s got mental health (issues), he takes medicine,” recalled Ricky Noble. “I was yelling at the officers that he was (mentally ill), and they were still tasing him. Just handcuff him and walk him out.”

Athansia Zapantis said she will move out of the neighbourhood knowing that one of her neighbours is responsible for causing an incident that led to her sons death. The neighbour was seen clapping as George was being tasered and handcuffed.

“If I see him, I’m going to spit in his face,” said Athanasia.

“He was supposed to go to work tomorrow,” she said. “I have to call them and tell them, you know, he’s not going back.”

“I’m crying because I was not here for my son in his last moments, and he died in such a horrible way,” his mother added. “He was my left hand, my son. He was everything… He died for no reason.”

The NYPD’s Force Investigation Division has launched a probe but said based on a preliminary investigation, the use of force appears to be within department guidelines, according to Daily News

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So this week

A taser is a deadly weapon

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Should have dropped the F'n sword I guess.

Camp is where you make it.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
He is Greek who cares.

But I suppose you could say he was re-enacting what for him was a critical piece of his heritage.

Wait did gladiators have samurai swords?

Cultural appropriation?

So confusing.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A$$hole neighbor strikes again.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Written like fiction.

LOL
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I hope that mother sues the snot outta that 'neighbor'.... What a total azzhole..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
We should start wearing George Zapantis I can`t breath t shirts,

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
When do the riots start...

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

Better not to take the shot, than to screw it up.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by slumlord
So this week

A taser is a deadly weapon

Greek Lives Matter.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Swatted.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What can we learn from this lesson?

It is wrong to carry a weapon within the confines of your own home.

Heavily armed strangers with superior weapons are supposed to break into your castle and disarm you, kidnap you and put you in their concrete dungeon.

If you so much as protest, the men who a stranger /neighbor calls for your own safety (serve &protect),
have a legitimate right of Superior power to be your judge, jury, and electrocutioners.

In many states the use of an electric chair is considered unconstitutional as inhumane punishment (torture) for capital convictions such as murder.
In most states, electrocution by officer friendly by a device fondly refered to it's brand name , tazer, is not considered inhumane, torture, and is of course the loving tender hearted thing to do.

After they torture you to death, they will ask around to find out if they can blame your dead carcass for their murder, after all the guy was crazy! We HAD to put him down for his own safety.......uhhh, we feared for our lives when we kicked in his door.

The tazers are routinely used to electrocute....to DEATH many people every year without so much as offering innocent people due process of any kind.

News flash to the world. The heart runs off of electrical impulses. You don't have to be a cardiologist to know this !

Now. Let us have a moment of silence for NY finest doing their best to protect. Hand over heart, tear in the eye.....Thank you for your service to our community.
😐

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 06/25/20.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by gunner500
Swatted.

Proly pissed he gave food to other people and not him

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by tzone
Should have dropped the F'n sword I guess.

He had dropped the F'n sword. Try F'n reading!

"The video indicates the suspect was unarmed when finally arrested."

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
George seems to be a bad name, first or last, when it comes to police interaction.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I'm only half Greek, but this kinda chit is why I don't whittle w my pocket knife on the front porch.
Redneck cops be killin on me.
Old cracker neighbors always watching.
Thankfully my name aint George.

Last edited by hookeye; 06/25/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mike_S

Burn the F’n Apollonia Bistro down.....,,now

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Mike_S

Burn the F’n Apollonia Bistro down.....,,now

Bourdeto...Loukaniko...Mousaka...
mad mad mad mad mad

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

Heavily armed strangers with superior weapons are supposed to break into your castle and disarm you, kidnap you and put you in their concrete dungeon.

If you so much as protest,.....

"We are from the Gov and we are here to
help you" (whether you like it not.)

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 1Longbow, 68 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,301
Posts18,487,087
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.