-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My people are split in two different hunting regions. Paternal side of the family are Midwest hunters and Maternal side are western state hunters. It wasn't until I went to Montana to hunt with the relatives there did I learn much about O'Connor. That Western clan were big fans of O'Connor and the .270 Winchester. A Great Uncle hoarded Outdoor Life magazines going back to the late 1930s and had several of O'Connor's books in his library. I expressed a lot of interest in his collection and he sent me back to Wisconsin with a 1961 edition of COMPLETE BOOK OF RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS. Several years later, before he passed away, he gave me any of the books or magazines I wanted.

The only cartridge O'Connor influence on me was the 7x57 mm.

A couple of years ago I took a Ruger M77 .270 Win and some bullets, cases and dies in on a sale. Never loaded for it and sold it after the very wise members of the 24hr Campfire declared it gay. I thought I got rid of all the .270 Win. items, but while cleaning out a cupboard the other day I came across some stuff.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jeff,

Is the collection you mentioned The Lost Classics of Jack O'Connor? Unfortunately, a couple of the older stories in there were NOT written by the Jack O'Connor many of us grew up reading, but another guy with the same name. The one I remember for sure is about hunting Dall sheep in Alaska--and the "real" Jack O'Connor never hunted sheep in Alaska. It's pretty easy to tell the style is different as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
He and my brother is why I ended up with a 270, the first was a parker hale, the next was the early browning BBR, with the 9 locking lugs, heck for stout, it has taken some stout loads, now i had refined my loads down a bit, but was interesting to see how hard it could be pushed.
Have not hunted with it for years, but maybe one day i will get it back in the rotation and see how she goes.
It wears a 3x9 bushnell Banner scope

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Georat
O’Conner was a big influence on me as a kid. When I was 13, I saved up my lawn mowing money to buy a “big” rifle and was lucky enough to find a nearly new Remington 700 in .270. My dad couldn’t understand why I wanted a bolt action rather than a pump or semiautomatic I don’t recall exactly what I told him but am sure it wasn’t “because that’s what Jack O’Conner uses.”

That rifle has been my go to since that time. I rebarreled it and added a McMillan stock in the mid-90s and have no idea how many deer have fallen to it but the number is well north of 100. Maybe O’Conner knew what he was talking about?

Yes, maybe he did. I have one .270 and two 30-06s. But as I tell people, the .270 is so perfect you only need one, LOL!
To tell the truth, I loved that rifle so much I just never thought about replacing it. But recently I got a wild hair and was going to build a long range .270 and I found an old Model 721 Remington .30-06 in a pawn shop and bought it with the intentions of rebarreling it to .270 but I haven't shot it yet. I figured it's 70 years old and if t doesn't shoot good I'll do that. But if it shoots good I'm not touching it. I'll just look for another one.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have read every JOC book, most more than once. He is without a doubt my favorite outdoor writer, he is easy to read, his writing has the capability to make me feel that I am seeing things as he saw them.

My favorite is Sheep and Sheep Hunting, I suppose because I have spent some time in the same part of BC where many of his stories were centered.
My second most favorite is Confessions of A Gun Editor - great behind the scenes insights about his career and insights into some interactions with his contemporaries.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jeff,

Is the collection you mentioned The Lost Classics of Jack O'Connor? Unfortunately, a couple of the older stories in there were NOT written by the Jack O'Connor many of us grew up reading, but another guy with the same name. The one I remember for sure is about hunting Dall sheep in Alaska--and the "real" Jack O'Connor never hunted sheep in Alaska. It's pretty easy to tell the style is different as well.

It is titled "Classic O'Connor, 45 World Wide Hunting Adventures". Edited by Jim Cassady (sp?) ISBN: 9781935342090.

It has illustrations of JOC on both the front and back covers, so it looks "real".

It doesn't appear to be the same as the Lost Classics book, but it was published by the same people, Skyhorse Publishing.

I assume that it is just a compilation of stories that JOC published in OL magazine.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Tell you a secret, I never heard of him until he was dead.
Guns and Ammo put out a special edition in January 1978 which I bought, He died the year before.
Never new anything more until I came here and saw you blokes speaking of him.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
IIRC, the most influential U.S. gun writers of the 1960's might have ben JOC at Outdoor Life, Warren Page at Field & Stream, and Pete Brown at Sports Afield.

I liked JOC, while my Father liked Warren Page better, neither of us cared much for anything about Sports Afield.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The important thing about the writings of all of these guys; they were very readable. They all told a story while imparting some knowledge as well. O'connor's successor, Jim Carmicheal, for whom I planned to feel nothing but disdain, fit right in and was a great writer. I didn't like Elmer Keith and Charles Askins nearly as much but have come to realize, they all had something to tell me if I cared to pay attention (this goes for current writers as well). Lately, I've been reading some issues of Outdoor Life from the late fifties and early sixties. While the stories aren't quite as magical as when I read them as a kid, they are still pretty entertaining and real. GD

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I was one of the kids that waited for the next issue of Outdoor Life- Jack's latest . I have nearly all of his books now and " Sheep and Sheep Hunting" is and was my reference material on this subject. I hunt sheep every year . I love it for the same reason he did, the country is awe inspiring. Wild sheep are the greatest game animal, imo. Once you have this bug , it only gets worse in time.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Looking for something to read the other day I pulled out "The Hunting Rifle" by Jack O'Connor and read it for the 3rd or 4th time. Published in 1970 and containing some material previously published in Outdoor Life it's an interesting glimpse of things 50 years ago. While Jack is forever linked to the 270Win, in the book he spends some time on it but says repeatedly that it is no better than any number of other cartridges and that the 30-06 is probably the best all around NA cartridge. He was also quite fond of the 7x57 which Eleanor used to great effect and says the 375H&H is the world's most useful cartridge.
In the book he also states that double rifles are dead and that the 257 Rob, 9.3x62, 250-3000, 300H&H are all obsolete or close to it. Jack didn't anticipate that modern CNC equipment would make manufacturing less popular calibers almost as simple as calling up a program or the nostalgia of us rifle loonies.
Some of the info on scopes and bullets is dated but the balance of the book is quite informative and JOC is always entertaining with the many hunting anecdotes used to make his points.

I have that book also. The thing that stood out to me was him writing about multiple shots on game that would make most modern hunters choke before either denouncing him or explaining it away as he was a product of his times. All in all it is a great book.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Jack O'Connor Quote
On his favorite cartridges...."The .30-06, the .270, the .375, and the .416. Now you're going to ask me 'In what order?' In that order."~Jack O'Connor~

I well remember that quote having read it numerous times. I have several of his works and have used the 270 W more than any other cartridge since 1975 or 76

Jerry.

When JOC made that quote putting his favorite .270 in 2nd place, he was probably old enough to have dimentia moments.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Youper
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Looking for something to read the other day I pulled out "The Hunting Rifle" by Jack O'Connor and read it for the 3rd or 4th time. Published in 1970 and containing some material previously published in Outdoor Life it's an interesting glimpse of things 50 years ago. While Jack is forever linked to the 270Win, in the book he spends some time on it but says repeatedly that it is no better than any number of other cartridges and that the 30-06 is probably the best all around NA cartridge. He was also quite fond of the 7x57 which Eleanor used to great effect and says the 375H&H is the world's most useful cartridge.
In the book he also states that double rifles are dead and that the 257 Rob, 9.3x62, 250-3000, 300H&H are all obsolete or close to it. Jack didn't anticipate that modern CNC equipment would make manufacturing less popular calibers almost as simple as calling up a program or the nostalgia of us rifle loonies.
Some of the info on scopes and bullets is dated but the balance of the book is quite informative and JOC is always entertaining with the many hunting anecdotes used to make his points.

I have that book also. The thing that stood out to me was him writing about multiple shots on game that would make most modern hunters choke before either denouncing him or explaining it away as he was a product of his times. All in all it is a great book.

A lot of Jack's hunting was done with iron sights or the optics of the day which were very crude by comparison to what we have available. Also as MD has written, rangefinding was pure guestimation. He mentions a few shots at 300 yards or more which is a darned long ways with irons or a 2 1/2 Lyman Alaskan. BTDT myself so I think it's forgivable Have you read TR's "African Game Trails"? Now there is some spraying and praying..

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by 458Win
Originally Posted by shootinurse
His work has stood the test of time. Still much relevance, even with the way our hunting has changed. And the stories just read so well.

His ability to write and communicate his interests, passions and knowledge set him apart.

A master's degree in Journalism didn't hurt. He was the first Journalism professor, Univ of AZ.

He did have a lot to say, lots of experiences to report, but those literary skills helped him put it together.

I saw him at the 1970 NRA Convention in New Orleans. He had quite a presence about him, dry sense of humor.

He left his mark.

DF

When you read his hunting stories, His descriptions of where he was and the surroundings and terrain made you feel like you were there with him. He was way beyond technical reporting he was an accomplished author and story teller.

I think his great skills may have been honed by his generation and his elders growing up before radio broadcasts were available. These generations were highly skilled in relaying information that painted word pictures and feelings into their attention-holding storytelling. It was common to go into a barbershop in the '50s and even early '60s to have several elder storytellers who were just hanging around sharing their experiences in a way that would pull you into listening. With that plus JOC's talent and journalism training, we were going to be pulled in!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by StrayDog
Originally Posted by jwall

I well remember that quote having read it numerous times. I have several of his works and have used the 270 W more than any other cartridge since 1975 or 76

Jerry.

When JOC made that quote putting his favorite .270 in 2nd place, he was probably old enough to have dimentia moments.

Maybe so, I don't have a reference as to when he said or wrote it.

ATST I have 270s and one 06 at present and can't count the total of both that I've had.
That being said, from a practical perspective, TODAY I'd agree the 30-06 is more versatile than the 270 W.
I really don't think I need to xplain that to you. (not being smart)

YET for myself I prefer the 270 W.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
There is no doubt that his skills helped a lot, he could write a story and create the scene with a minimum amount of words and "fluff". One thing I have noticed in his writings is that he could create the story without making himself the centerpiece of it, most of his stories were more about the country, the guides, animals, or the feel of the hunt. That is a talent that few writers have, outdoor or otherwise.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I have most his books and never tire of them, a great story teller for sure
.I suspect we can't overestimate how helpful shooting a lot of rabbits is when it comes to off hand rifle work.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting; and thanks for posting. I began reading Mr. O'Connor at a very young age. Had never fired a gun and didn't understand most of what I was reading. But it was so neat and interesting that I, too, was drawn in by that cool, "old" ( to me at the time), guy with those "big" rifles who did all sorts of fantastic stuff that I had no knowledge of.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I think I've read nearly everything JOC wrote. I have about all of his books I think. My most recent acquisition being 45 Worldwide Hunting Adventures, #718 from a limited edition of 1000 and came in a nice slip case.

My favorite firearms writers:

Living: John Barsness

Deceased: Jack O'Connor and Gary Sitton.

Also rans (IMO) Pete Brown of Sports Afield. I thought Warren Page was as dry as dust.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

262 members (160user, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 219DW, 19 invisible), 1,757 guests, and 1,000 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,872
Posts18,478,754
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.