Print Thread
Hop To
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I recently acquired a new model Ruger Blackhawk. In carrying it in a holster I carried it with the hammer on an empty cylinder. Just how I’ve always carried revolvers for safety. A buddy told me I didn’t have to with this Blackhawk. Said it had some sort of cross bolt that blocked the hammer. Can someone verify this and explain it to me mechanically?

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Or you could simply read a few pages of the manual, and learn about the transfer bar. If you don't own a physical copy, they are accessible on Ruger.com. Long story short: no there is no "cross bolt" on a Blackhawk, but yes, you are perfectly safe to carry with a full cylinder, with a loaded chamber under the hammer.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Or you could simply read a few pages of the manual, and learn about the transfer bar. If you don't own a physical copy, they are accessible on Ruger.com. Long story short: no there is no "cross bolt" on a Blackhawk, but yes, you are perfectly safe to carry with a full cylinder, with a loaded chamber under the hammer.

This. The transfer bar is the main difference between the Old Model and the New Model.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wish I could find a gif or animation worth 1000 words, but absent that...

The hammer face has a protrusion at the top which will hit the frame, there is no part of the hammer itself that can hit the firing pin. To allow it to strike the firing pin there is a bar, the transfer bar, which rises up between the hammer and firing pin as the hammer is pulled back and as the name implies transfers the blow of the hammer to the pin. If the trigger is not held back as the hammer falls that transfer bar is lowered so the hammer only hits the frame. If and only if the trigger is held back the transfer bar stays in place.

So all New Model Ruger single actions are safe to carry with all chambers loaded since an accidental drop or any accidental hit on the hammer - lowered or cocked - cannot set off a round.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Last edited by ready_on_the_right; 06/28/20.

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Wish I could find a gif or animation worth 1000 words, but absent that...

The hammer face has a protrusion at the top which will hit the frame, there is no part of the hammer itself that can hit the firing pin. To allow it to strike the firing pin there is a bar, the transfer bar, which rises up between the hammer and firing pin as the hammer is pulled back and as the name implies transfers the blow of the hammer to the pin. If the trigger is not held back as the hammer falls that transfer bar is lowered so the hammer only hits the frame. If and only if the trigger is held back the transfer bar stays in place.

So all New Model Ruger single actions are safe to carry with all chambers loaded since an accidental drop or any accidental hit on the hammer - lowered or cocked - cannot set off a round.

That's a good description, Jim. Seems like the manual has a picture, but I don't exactly recall. I had a Security Six long before any Blackhawks, and understood the transfer bar system from shooting, cleaning, and taking that one apart.

If you just look at the mechanism, you'll see exactly how it works, and why there is basically no way to make the gun fire with the usual handling (including dropping the thing) unless the transfer bar is in position through the actuation of the trigger. But that's just me, I suppose. I have to KNOW how things work, so I take them apart and find out.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks all for the explanation. Makes sense now. Yes I was about to start taking it apart to learn too.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 204guy, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,796 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,506
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.