Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by RemModel8
Originally Posted by fremont
8x57

^^^^ A far better choice than the 280ai.

I think Lipsey made a mistake. There is no IMHO lineage between the 280 (Ackley or the 7mm Remington Express version) and Africa. I think it's solely because the 280ai is a "hot round" right now, and they're trying to pull off a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup moment. Not working. Be like having a 6 Creedmoor African.

You couldn't give me an obsolete 8X57

I wouldn't even try to. I'm betting you could use some Flomax though.

Don't think tha I am like you, just kee pool your flowmax

Let me guess, you missed English the day it was taught.

Thanks for playing

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by ingwe
Doesn't Ruger make an action that a .300 H&H will fit in?

I ask cause Ruger made a .375 H&H and the .416 Rigby many moons ago.

Ken that was their "Express" model...a big ass heavy gun compared to a standard 77.

Tom,that's the one I was thinking of.

So, just trying to set the record straight.

The Express model was a 30-06 length action in standard chamberings (270, 30-06, 25-06), and the RSM (Rings, Sights, Magnum) was a 375 length magnum action rifle. Both had an integral sight rib.

And yes, the RSM was a big heavy gun, but the Express was not much heavier than the African.

Search "Ruger RSM" on Gunbroker to see a few.

Last edited by WhelenAway; 07/03/20.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Thanks for the clarification WhelenAway. smile

WhelenAway,the RSM was also chambered for the .416 Rigby,which is a true magnum length action.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Originally Posted by El_Numero_Uno
What do I know here? Not much, but the Ruger M77 Hawkeye African is just a platform that has lots of class with the barrel band sling stud, the black fore end tip and the 2 crossbolts, which are for aesthetics only. It has a 24" barrel one weight heavier than most Hawkeyes.
Just because it is called the African model, doesn't mean you can only use it in Africa.
The 280 AI is a classy cartridge and my current favorite in my Ruger No.1A.
For those suggesting those obscure English rounds, Ruger will not even consider chambering a firearm in a cartridge without SAAMI specs.

Agreed, and a select few gun buyers have ever heard of some of these rounds.

I can remember very well when 8x57 Remington 700 Classics being sold for $350 new in the box. And even at that price most were being purchased as donors.

For me, nostalgia only goes so far, and I am quickly disillusioned with low-pressure under-performing rounds.

I almost bought one to have reamed to 8mm-06, then I thought, "I can just shoot 200 gr bullets out of a .30-06 if I want to increase felt recoil and save money on gunsmithing, dies and new bullets"

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Almost bought one too, thinking the same way Sycamore.

In the end I decided 338 was the way to go if I wanted something bigger than 30.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
IC B2

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by ingwe
Doesn't Ruger make an action that a .300 H&H will fit in?

I ask cause Ruger made a .375 H&H and the .416 Rigby many moons ago.

Ken that was their "Express" model...a big ass heavy gun compared to a standard 77.

Tom,that's the one I was thinking of.

So, just trying to set the record straight.

The Express model was a 30-06 length action in standard chamberings (270, 30-06, 25-06), and the RSM (Rings, Sights, Magnum) was a 375 length magnum action rifle. Both had an integral sight rib.

And yes, the RSM was a big heavy gun, but the Express was not much heavier than the African.

Search "Ruger RSM" on Gunbroker to see a few.

Additionally, the Express was chambered for standard length magnum cartridges (7mm Rem Mag, .300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag).

Adding to the confusion is that the larger long action magnum rifles were called “Express Magnum”. These larger guns were also bedded much differently than the standard length ones and other Model 77s. They have a foreend lug connected via a steel strap to a steel projection on the main recoil lug.

My huckleberry is the .338. Weight and feel is perfect. The integral quarter rib and action finishing are superb on all these guns. Mine shoots well to boot.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks for the clarification WhelenAway. smile

WhelenAway,the RSM was also chambered for the .416 Rigby,which is a true magnum length action.

Yep...forgot about that one!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
A coworker of mine inherited a RSM in 375 H&H mag from his father in law. His son wanted to shoot it so I was asked about reloading for it. Not one to miss an opportunity to experience that quality I said I would but would need the gun for awhile. No problem, I enjoyed shooting it for a couple of weeks and found a good load pretty quick using the 270 gr Hornady spire pt at 2600 fps. I loaded them 50 rds and returned it.Later that fall the son used it on a nice 5x5 whitetail buck. The rifle had a very nice looking Circassion stock
. No they didn't want to sell it. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I had an RSM in 375 for a while.

As noted it was a very heavy rifle, and mine had a blond stock without a great deal of figure, so eventually I moved it along.

The integral quarter rib was the big draw for me.

Should have bought an Express before they got too pricey. They are a lot harder to find.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I would guess it is the styling that people want more than the intent to use it in Africa. At $1300+ I haven't run out and bought one yet. MB

The Lipsey's specials can usually be had a fair bit cheaper:

ruger-m77-hawkeye-280-ackley-bolt-action-rifle-24-barrel-polished-blue-finish-ruger-57126/

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I can remember very well when 8x57 Remington 700 Classics being sold for $350 new in the box. And even at that price most were being purchased as donors.

For me, nostalgia only goes so far, and I am quickly disillusioned with low-pressure under-performing rounds.

Spot On !

A F A I C, there are several cartridges that fit that category.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by El_Numero_Uno
What do I know here? Not much, but the Ruger M77 Hawkeye African is just a platform that has lots of class with the barrel band sling stud, the black fore end tip and the 2 crossbolts, which are for aesthetics only. It has a 24" barrel one weight heavier than most Hawkeyes.
Just because it is called the African model, doesn't mean you can only use it in Africa.
The 280 AI is a classy cartridge and my current favorite in my Ruger No.1A.
For those suggesting those obscure English rounds, Ruger will not even consider chambering a firearm in a cartridge without SAAMI specs.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. My problem is I don’t think big chunky reinforced stock and barrel band swivel stud when I think 280AI.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by fremont
8x57

^^^^ A far better choice than the 280ai.

I think Lipsey made a mistake. There is no IMHO lineage between the 280 (Ackley or the 7mm Remington Express version) and Africa. I think it's solely because the 280ai is a "hot round" right now, and they're trying to pull off a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup moment. Not working. Be like having a 6 Creedmoor African.

You couldn't give me an obsolete 8X57

I wouldn't even try to. I'm betting you could use some Flomax though.

Don't think tha I am like you, just kee pool your flowmax

Let me guess, you missed English the day it was taught.

Thanks for playing

No thanks needed prick

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Would the 1 in 8.5 twist be too fast for 120 gr. Barnes or 140 gr. BTips meaning would the bullets come apart or be less likely to group well? I'd use it mostly for whitetails under 300 yds

Last edited by dimecovers5; 02/13/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruger should get with Kynoch ammo and come out with some real African cartridges instead of the .280 AI.

http://www.kynochammunition.co.uk/cartridge%20collection.html

Some great cartridges in this selection.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had one that I bought cheap never fired. Kicking myself for selling it. Was a bit front heavy but not bad when you scoped it. Still weighed a bit but it really tamed the recoil.

Didn't shoot it much though, but very nice rifle.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I had one of the 9.3's. I liked the idea better than I did the rifle. Kicked like heck with heavy bullets and the wood was vanilla plain. I regret not buying one of the 275's, but would really like one in 30-06. 280AI? No thanks. Now, a 7x64? I'd be all over that one. You know, tradition and all. I'll bet they could sell a few in 338-06 as well.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by dimecovers5
Would the 1 in 8.5 twist be too fast for 120 gr. Barnes or 140 gr. BTips meaning would the bullets come apart or be less likely to group well? I'd use it mostly for whitetails under 300 yds

Not a problem.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

245 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 257_X_50, 29 invisible), 2,058 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,191
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.