-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Horizontal split for me. I prefer the Talley lightweight two piece.

Sean
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
The horizontal rings with the large windage screws at the rear base are a failure waiting to happen. These large windage screws a prone to cracking if over tighten just slightly and many times you wont even know their damaged cause the heads are stuck or kept in place by the recess in the rear base. When you groups open up or you loose your zero then you might figure it out. No I like the Conetrol's their rock solid. if I had to pick something else it would be the Talley rings and bases. On AR's or any other rifles with a Picatinny rail there are a lot of good options as far as horizontal split rings. No weak link as in windage screws.

I am in complete agreement and got tired of messing with them last year. I can't believe I kept messing with them for all those years. Replacing them with Weaver style bases and horizontal split rings from KF.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Vertically split rings can cause problems with scope that need to be dialed a lot. Most of these compress the rube asymmetrically, so with many scope models they can cause problems.

In set and forget applications that is less of an issue.

ILya

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I use only Burris Signature rings with the plastic inserts. Either double dovetail or Weaver style Signature Zee Rings. I do have some other rings on rifles whose scopes have not been moved in years. If a scope is removed for any reason, Burris rings are installed. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by koshkin
Vertically split rings can cause problems with scope that need to be dialed a lot. Most of these compress the rube asymmetrically, so with many scope models they can cause problems.

ILya

+1 and the top of the ring is a rain collector. I will never use Talley Vertical rings again either fixed or removable.l

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dale06

On moderate recoil rifles 243 and smaller, are there any big advantages or disadvantages between vertical and horizontal split scope rings?
Thanks

Verticals look nicer (to some). Horizontals tend to be easier to use (for some).

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Which is better for set it and forget it? I see a lot of responses about “remounting” scopes… once it’s on my gun. It ain’t coming off

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Horizontal. No contest..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

ILya

Formi has mentioned this as well. And I believe that Vortex doesn't recommend them for their scopes.

I have used Warne vertical split rings a bunch and never had any issues with SWFA scopes. No issues with zero retention or tracking.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 4th_point

ILya

Formi has mentioned this as well. And I believe that Vortex doesn't recommend them for their scopes.

I saw this addressed in a lengthy thread on another forum a few years back. I just go with horizontals to minimize any potential issues, regardless of those who say verticals work for them. The geometry of some of them always seemed a bit strange to me anyway.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Vertical split rings?
REALLY??
That is what causes riots in prison.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Horizontals are definately easier to install but I have a couple of Warne rings on Brno 600s and they work fine. I tend to leave scopes alone when they are mounted.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sometimes you have to go with what’s available. I used a set of vertical Warnes to mount a 56mm on a Hawkeye yesterday. PITA dealing with all the loose stuff, but very solid once you get them on. Nicely finished too, with no sharp edges. I wanted the detachables, but they’re nowhere to be found now, just like a lot of stuff.

I’m moving away from the Zee rings as they’re a dog to remove and re-install, plus heavier than necessary. Going to use the Weaver Sure Grips on the Marlin 39A headed here for the vintage look and light weight, but no hook to deal with. They’re actually pretty nice, cheap, and made here if you can believe it!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use both. Neither are probably really better than the other. But I prefer vertically split because they are less obtrusive. And I've never lapped vertically split rings and never felt I had to. I've never had a scope slip in vertically split rings but I have in horizontally split rings. For instance, a failure to lap Ruger rings supplied with a Ruger gun is an accident waiting to happen. Great guns, horrible rings.

As far as being a rain collector: non-issue. Water can get get under both.

As far as the scope coming loose when you detach: that's an issue with Talley fixed permanent attach rings because they are literally two halves held together by two screws. (But they are marketed as "fixed" rings, so detaching them will require reinstallation.) But its a non-issue with Warnes, and a non-issue with Talley QD and QD screw lock because they are two-halves that attach around the scope first, and which has a third piece that clamps to the base. I've found Warne QDs and Talley QDs to return to zero very well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use a pencil to mark the tube at the splits (when I remember) to make re-mounting easier.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have both. Never any issues with either but I prefer the look of the horizontal.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I try to only use horizontal split rings.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I prefer horizontal. I have experienced more issues trying to keep the reticle level while tightening vertical split rings, same with the original Weavers w/AL bottom, steel-strap hook/screw tops. Hard to keep those old school Weavers level while final tightening too.

Last edited by horse1; 07/27/21.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I like and use both. My favorite are the Talley QDs, mounted without the levers. They return to zero reliably, and on more remote hunts I take an extra scope in rings already zero’ed as backup.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I use both. Neither are probably really better than the other. But I prefer vertically split because they are less obtrusive. And I've never lapped vertically split rings and never felt I had to. I've never had a scope slip in vertically split rings but I have in horizontally split rings. For instance, a failure to lap Ruger rings supplied with a Ruger gun is an accident waiting to happen. Great guns, horrible rings.

As far as being a rain collector: non-issue. Water can get get under both.

As far as the scope coming loose when you detach: that's an issue with Talley fixed permanent attach rings because they are literally two halves held together by two screws. (But they are marketed as "fixed" rings, so detaching them will require reinstallation.) But its a non-issue with Warnes, and a non-issue with Talley QD and QD screw lock because they are two-halves that attach around the scope first, and which has a third piece that clamps to the base. I've found Warne QDs and Talley QDs to return to zero very well.

This is my experience as well. I’ve used the old Buehler vertical split rings for years and never an issue with slipping or tube marks. They take a bit more care to set up, but I prefer the cleaner look of vertical rings.
JMHO

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (257 mag, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 257robertsimp, 29 invisible), 1,834 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,167
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.