Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Ive not seen a venomous snake in the wild.
Turkey hunt where copperhead, rattler and cottonmouths are.

Buddy had a copperhead pop out when we went turkey hunting.

Fencepost lizards were cool

GB4

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Keith,

So as not to misunderstand, I brought up the Gadsden/Culpeper slogan because someone mentioned rattlers. I can't blame you for removing the copperhead from your living area.

That said, she was a bute. Most copperheads aren't so colorful and distinctive. One of the best looking North American snakes. Shame its not going to be tanned for a special holster or hat band.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
Originally Posted by dale06
My personal rule with venomous snakes is that if they are in an area with a good likelyhood of coming into contact with people or pets, they die without a second’s hesitation. Out in the wild, live and let live...

I grew up in western Ks. Our rule of thumb was, if you see a rattle snake, kill it. Don’t know a person there that had a different philosophy. In the 20 years I lived there I probably killed a dozen.
Knew two people that were bit by them. Both survived but one guy nearly lost an arm.

I know a lot of people with that same philosophy and I totally get it. I just figure they were put here for a purpose just like any other critter - except for tarantulas. I hate the fuggers. Instant death sentence no matter where they are! grin

Tarantulas??? Come on.
What state are you in?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
See a couple of copperheads or more every year here on this place.

Used to catch one in a minnow trap almost every time I threw one in the branch. Copperhead, not a banded water snake.

We have a couple a 5 ft king snakes that I see laying on our creosote bridge decking, from time to time, especially in the fall. I have no idea how long they live but they have been around about 4 yrs, they hunt copperheads so the family here knows not to run them over

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh, I see now that the CH pic was Rockinbar's

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
My personal rule with venomous snakes is that if they are in an area with a good likelyhood of coming into contact with people or pets, they die without a second’s hesitation. Out in the wild, live and let live...

I grew up in western Ks. Our rule of thumb was, if you see a rattle snake, kill it. Don’t know a person there that had a different philosophy. In the 20 years I lived there I probably killed a dozen.
Knew two people that were bit by them. Both survived but one guy nearly lost an arm.

I know a lot of people with that same philosophy and I totally get it. I just figure they were put here for a purpose just like any other critter - except for tarantulas. I hate the fuggers. Instant death sentence no matter where they are! grin

Tarantulas??? Come on.
What state are you in?

I hate the fuggers with a passion. I’m a northerner since transplanted to NM. Never had to deal with any till I moved down here a couple years ago. Snakes don’t bother me in the least BTW. Even the venomous ones.

Last edited by Dryfly24; 07/04/20.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by rong
Would the snake feel regret if it had bit you?

Hey, we hear on tha Far r mo better then nakes. wink

Last edited by jaguartx; 07/04/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

Tarantulas??? Come on.
What state are you in?

I hate the fuggers with a passion. I’m a northerner since transplanted to NM. Never had to deal with any till I moved down here a couple years ago. Snakes don’t bother me in the least BTW. Even the venomous ones.

Being from Texas, and an outdoorsman, and dog man, I've dealt with a few snake bit dogs and have had some scarey close calls.

Just last night for some reason I remembered one. First time too, I thanked HIM for letting me make it home 2 miles away all those 48 years ago.

The ones a mile from a road or 30 miles from town are a lot more dangerous than ones around town, actually.

I do my best to keep people from having bad days.

Last edited by jaguartx; 07/04/20.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Worst news than can befall a preteen girls’ slumber party.

Little brother.....”I have an announcement to make, my pet tarantula is missing....”

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by slumlord
Worst news than can befall a preteen girls’ slumber party.

Little brother.....”I have an announcement to make, my pet tarantula is missing....”

Lol...

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Tarantulas??? Come on.
What state are you in?

What color are they?

Up in WV we even have a tarantula. Its a rare trap door variety that can tolerate our climate. Never saw one.
Have handled some Mexican ones.
They are scary for the size, but the venom is not likely very dangerous.
Black widows like there if I'm not mistaken. We have a bunch in our area. I've walked through their webs and nearly put my hand on them a few times. Door knobs, basketball...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Tarantulas??? Come on.
What state are you in?

Being from Texas, and an outdoorsman, and dog man, I've dealt with a few snake bit dogs and have had some scarey close calls.

Just last night for some reason I remembered one. First time too, I thanked HIM for letting me make it home 2 miles away all those 48 years ago.

The ones a mile from a road or 30 miles from town are a lot more dangerous than ones around town, actually.

I do my best to keep people from having bad days.

I’ve told this story before. Back in the 80’s I was stationed at Ft. Hunter Liggett, in southern Monterey County. About 25 miles from King City, CA. I was doing a stint as the battalion commander’s driver. He didn’t get out of the office too often so most of the time I hung around with the Command Sergeant Major’s driver and would shoot the Schit with them in his office.

The CSM had a husky named Dusty that was sort of the battalion’s unofficial mascot. I had a lot of down time and to kill the boredom, I used to like to take him out for walks around the battalion HQ’s area. We were literally out in the middle of nowhere out there. A lot of wildlife, including rattlers. This one particular day, I was holding on to his leash as he was going about his business near some bushes. I heard a buzzing sound and as it caught our attention, he dove head first into the brush before I could pull him back.

I heard him yelp loudly, as he jumped back and began rubbing his face into the dirt. I got a hold of him and his face started to swell like a balloon. I looked toward the bush and heard and saw a small Pissed off rattler all coiled up and ready to strike again right where Dusty had stuck his head.

I killed the snake and brought Dusty back inside. By that time his head had swollen up like a cantaloupe. I was Schitting bricks when I told the Sergeant Major what had happened, but he barely even looked up from his paperwork and said “Don’t worry ‘bout it. He’ll be fine. It’s happened before.” I couldn’t believe it. I was freakin out but he barely seemed concerned at all. He assured me he’d be fine. Told the dog to lay down in his bed in a corner of the office and that was that. I thought for sure Dusty was a goner, but sure enough, in a couple days he was good as new and you couldn’t even tell he’d been bit.

I think that’s when I really lost a lot of my fear of being snake bit. I honestly was never really too concerned about it to begin with, but I think that experience really cemented the fact in my head that it’s not an automatic death sentence like a lot of people seem to think. Don’t get me wrong, I know they’re dangerous, and they’ll most likely make you sick as hell but it’s pretty rare to die from a snakebite. At least in North America.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Tarantulas??? Come on.
What state are you in?

What color are they?

Up in WV we even have a tarantula. Its a rare trap door variety that can tolerate our climate. Never saw one.
Have handled some Mexican ones.
They are scary for the size, but the venom is not likely very dangerous.
Black widows like there if I'm not mistaken. We have a bunch in our area. I've walked through their webs and nearly put my hand on them a few times. Door knobs, basketball...

Around here they’re brown to black. Have lots of widows and brown recluse as well. They are the real nasty fuggers. Know a lady that got bit by a recluse and she’s still having issues years later.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Funny story. True story.

I caught a harmless black snake one day. Threw together a terrarium for it until I could get something proper.

The next day, I got a knock on the door.
It was a couple of morman ladies.
That's the first time they came over to visit.

I went to get them something to drink and came back into the living room.

Guess who wanted to visit the nice morman ladies??

At their feet looking up at them was my new friend who somehow escaped from three rooms over and made his way to them while I was gone less.than 5 minutes.
Almost on their feet!
😂

I don't know why they never came back to visit?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
My wife was bit by a Copperhead last 4th of July Holiday weekend when we were visiting family at their vacation house at Bull Shoals lake in Arkansas.

We were a good ways from a hospital and it was not a fun experience. Ended up being a pretty nasty, painful situation and she was off work for a good while.

The only good Copperhead is a dead one.

Sorry to hear about that.

Ive been around two copperhead bites...both proved extremely painful to the victim. One was only a one fang in a finger, the other was a great deal more serious, but both victims lived with very little damage.

Ive hunted venemous snakes for 35+ years and a copperhead was the only one that got me, and he didn't get through the boot. He got me because I stepped on him BTW...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I sure don't feel bad about killing copperheads if they are in or near the yard.

Bandit got bitten about 3 1/2 years ago when he was too young to snake train. Both dogs are snake trained now. They tell me when a snake is near.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Where you at? What subspecies of copperhead is that? Almost looks Trans Pecos...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Pretty good chance of dying from an untreated rattler bite. Dogs seem to handle them better than humans. Horses and cows also.

Snake bites have caused a lot of permanent disability and I have seen some pretty big divots out of old ranchers which were deemed successful treatments.

I expect the husky had recieved and survived a previous bite it may have luckily survived which resulted in an immune response that helped it survive subsequent ones. Many men who work with snakes are also pretty resistant to severe reactions after having sustained a few bites.

A bite near the eye can easily result in loss of the eye and many bird dogs, significantly smaller than a huskie, have died from face bites or suffocation subsequent to swelling closing airways.

Leg bites from copperheads are much less serious.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Believe it or not, I've handled the orange variety.
They're one of the most common in the pet stores.

If you come across a blonde one, I'll take it off your hands.

Here's an article on the one that you described. Sounds like you're not the only one who thinks that they are creepy.

https://www.nationalparkstraveler.o...-tarantula-looks-big-hairy-and-scary7297

I got to get up early. I better hit the hay.
All this talk of spiders should make for some interesting dreams. LOL!

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
A lot of folks died on the Oregon trail from snake bites.

https://sites.google.com/site/oregontrailfirstaid/injury/snake-bites

I Dindo Nuffin
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Pretty good chance of dying from an untreated rattler bite. Dogs seem to handle them better than humans. Horses and cows also.

Snake bites have caused a lot of permanent disability and I have seen some pretty big divots out of old ranchers which were deemed successful treatments.

I expect the husky had recieved and survived a previous bite it may have luckily survived which resulted in an immune response that helped it survive subsequent ones. Many men who work with snakes are also pretty resistant to severe reactions after having sustained a few bites.

A bite near the eye can easily result in loss of the eye and many bird dogs, significantly smaller than a huskie, have died from face bites or suffocation subsequent to swelling closing airways.

Leg bites from copperheads are much less serious.

He had been bit a couple times before. CSM said he was a hard headed sum bitch because despite that fact, he wouldn’t learn and kept screwing with them.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

233 members (14idaho, 2500HD, 16penny, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 41 invisible), 2,039 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,993
Posts18,481,115
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.