Print Thread
Hop To
P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I tried cold bluing an entire handgun, and didn't like the result at all (except on the small items like screws), so I decided to remove the bluing and start over with a slow rust-blue. I washed off the firearm with hot soapy water, then used Birchwood Casey Blue and Rust Remover, then Evaporust, and then naval jelly, then sanded down everywhere I could get to, but certain areas of certain parts where I can't get sandpaper onto well still have 100% bluing. What's going on? I know that cold blue is actually a silicon coating. Does that make it immune to all of those rust and blue removers? Is there some other chemical I need to use?

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Try the old Lead Away cloth. That stuff will remove any bluing, hence the warning never to use it on a blued firearm.

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I use a cheap soda blaster from Harbor Freight with my cheap Harbor Freight compressor. But then I only tinker on my own toys.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cold blue is a selenium compound (Copper selenide is what you see on the steel) and should be able to be removed by any acid. Why the Birchwood Casey stuff, which is a mix of several acids, didn't work right off is indeed a mystery. What cold blue did you use? I would clean with a powerful degreaser like acetone or brake cleaner and try the Birchwood Casey stuff again. Stuff not intended for gun work can lead to problems like Naval Jelly being phosphoric acid based leaving iron phosphate. An acid like the B-C product should fix that.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I used Brownell's Ox-Pho Blue Liquid and Ox-Pho Blue Creme. Thanks for the tip on the naval jelly. It didn't seem all that effective any way. I misstated the order, BTW, I used the naval jelly before the Evapo Rust, so maybe things will be all right, but I'll rehit those areas with the B-C Blue & Rust Remover.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Vinegar (acetic acid) removes rust and blue

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The acid that they have in the pool section will take it all off.

It's cheap too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And etch metal. If you've used it (hydrochloric acid) to clean steel before welding you'll know that even diluted down quite a lot it leaves frosted metal from the etching - very reactive stuff.The old gunsmithing books advise sulfuric acid - diluted down quite a bit. The Birchwood Casey stuff has that plus phosphoric acid and a touch of oxalic acid all diluted down and ready to go.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have heard muratic acid will remove bluing, but I've never tried it.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I used liquid case cleaner, it removes everything.

Last edited by Hubert; 06/13/20.

IC B3

P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
After another application of B C Rust and Blue remover and scrubbing hard with a plastic bristle brush, some more came off but there is still plenty of it in the threads of the ejector rod and also in the knurled end. It seems like it is more the shape of the surface that affects whether I can get the blue off. Anyway, I plan to move on and try to rust blue over these few areas that still have cold blue on them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ospho rust remover will turn it white on contact

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very strange, the sulfuric acid in the BC should eat the cold blue immediately. Sounds like there's some kind of coating over the blue. Tried acetone or lacquer thinner firat?

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had to remove factory bluing once in preparation for browning a TC Hawken barrel. I started off with a wipe-down with brake cleaner outside. I used rubber gloves and safety goggles.

I didn't know what I was doing, but I guessed that HCL (Muratic Acid) would do the job. I used a plastic hard-side gun case with the foam removed.

On one side, I mixed hot water and sodium bicarb (hot to get it to dissolve faster). It was room temp by the time I started. In the other side, I used plain cold water.

I plugged the barrel at both ends and placed it in the cold water and then began adding HCL slowly. It didn't take long. All of a sudden the bluing just vanished-- poof! I reached in and pulled out the barrel and stuck it in the sodium bicarb. After 5 minutes, I rinsed in cold water.

I'm not saying this is the best way, or even a good way. It worked, and the resulting browning job has lasted over 20 years.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I use acid in my blueing operation

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The bathroom cleaner CLR will do the trick.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1lessdog, 1minute, 2500HD, 160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,184
Posts18,503,329
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.