Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Originally Posted by fburgtx
I like it in case I’m hunting and need to be “quiet” when chambering a round. I can pull back and then slowly let the charging handle return, and then make sure the bolt is fully closed/round fully chambered with the forward assist.

Not usually necessary, but if the chamber is dirty, and you don’t wanna just yank back on the charging handle and let ‘er go, then it COULD be of some use.

This is why I prefer a forward assist. I won't own an ar without one.

Bb

+2

Spooked a couple groundhogs when I chambered my first round of the day. Learned to close it quiet and seat with bfa.

GB1

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I just chamber at the truck, figure they heard me drive in anyway...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When hunting an AR, I chamber before I open the door of the truck.

Now with even more aplomb
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Terryk
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Originally Posted by fburgtx
I like it in case I’m hunting and need to be “quiet” when chambering a round. I can pull back and then slowly let the charging handle return, and then make sure the bolt is fully closed/round fully chambered with the forward assist.

Not usually necessary, but if the chamber is dirty, and you don’t wanna just yank back on the charging handle and let ‘er go, then it COULD be of some use.

This is why I prefer a forward assist. I won't own an ar without one.

Bb

+2

Spooked a couple groundhogs when I chambered my first round of the day. Learned to close it quiet and seat with bfa.

Are you guys allowed to use semi-autos now? Their illegality was one of the great injustices of my childhood.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
In PA semi rifle for ground hogs, coyotes, small game. No deer bear or turkeys. Probably legal 3 years maybe?

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Good for you guys!

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Stoner has a nice slick sided upper and matching rail for $99 at Midway. Absolute steal and I can't remember the last time I used a forward assist.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Another light bulb went on recently when I started to look at sling carry. Being left handed, with a conventional front carry the FA jabs me in the gut. The deflector might also be an issue, but perhaps not as much, and it really can't be eliminated, especially for a lefty.

I suppose the ultimate solution would be to get a dedicated left hand AR, but that involves a whole slew of limitations, beginning with choice options.

Anyhow, it's got me thinking about an upper without the forward assist.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Depends on what the situation is. There have been accounts of their usefulness in military settings, most notably in Iraq during the initial faze. As the story goes a young army corporal shot 7 Iraqi soldiers and each time he had to use his forward assist to load a round because of all the Iraqi sand that was in it. He wasn't known to keep his gun clean as I recall.

Most of us won't be in those conditions, but I like the idea of using it to quietly load a round. I use mine for gophers around our place and keep it clean so I have never used the one on mine.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't own any now but the brother in law has several side chargers and they are nice.

Makes charging the rifle easier with a large optic of thermal on top.

As far as i know he has not had a problem because it does not have a forward assist.

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
If you have a side charger (reciprocating style), then that IS your forward assist.

With rear charging /non-fixed charging, FA is something you don’t need, until you do. With side (fixed) charging, you already have it.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 08/02/20.
D
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
D
9 times out of 10, a forward assist will get you in pickle. If the round isn't chambering, there's probably a good reason.

My HD rifles have a functional FA.

I build both, most times I plug the FA hole with a derlin plug.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Nah....10 out of 10 they work just fine for helping chamber a round much more quietly. If you’re using it while firing, then it’s a zero sum game to begin with. LOL

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 08/04/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Darryle
9 times out of 10, a forward assist will get you in pickle. If the round isn't chambering, there's probably a good reason.

My HD rifles have a functional FA.

I build both, most times I plug the FA hole with a derlin plug.

I have used a forward assist hundreds of times and never once did it make a situation worse.

That said if you feel the urge to hammer on the FA then "pickles" are in your future.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 70 invisible), 3,085 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,355
Posts18,488,003
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.