B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Tree sadle

+1

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For public land, the setup that did me the best, is what is called "The Portable Stump." The idea was first popularized by Dr. Ken Norberg back in the 90's.

http://drnordbergondeerhunting.com/hypertext/Articles/Portable_Stump_Hunting.html

I developed my idea back in the 80's, hunting in Hocking Hills SE of Columbus, Ohio. It combined a 5-gallon bucket on a shoulder strap or backpack straps, a length of camper's cord (what we use paracord for now) and camo blind material.

When my #3 son started deer hunting on his own, he was not enthralled with sitting in a treestand. He wanted to wander more. I brought up the idea of the portable stump, and he took to it.

See

Portable Stump Hunting

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

I've taken deer at less than 5 yards with a bow with that kind of rig. The best thing about it is that if you practice the two knots I mention, you can have the blind set up in under 5 minutes with minimal fuss and noise. What that means is that a hunter can troll through the woods and when he finds a good spot, he's blinded in, lickety-split.

Thoughts:

1) I'm a walking landform. So are my sons. Normal camp chairs crumble under us. That's why I went with the bucket design. Norberg's idea is fine if you are of normal weight and bulk. If you're light enough, a daypack and a folding camp chair will work .
2) The shoulder strap is great for a short trek. It was also easy to do. If I was going to be roaming over longer distances, I would substitute backpack straps. Even better, I'd substitute Alice Pack Straps:

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

Alice straps also have a quick release that lets you drop your load quickly and silently. They're $13 a pair on Ebay.

3) The bucket has another advantage over a stool or camp chair. A bucket does not sink into soft earth, and it is more stable on uneven ground.

Versus a pop-up: I've got a pop-up. I've hunted out of it somewhat. What has me leaning towards this portable stump idea is that there is a lot less muss and fuss. With a pop-up, I'm always hesitant to get up and move, because of all the hoo-haw associated with striking and setting. You're also still left with what to bring for a seat.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My grandpa shot public land deer off an orange five gallon bucket for a long time.

I primarily still hunt now. Or will still hunt until I find a spot I like and then sit for a while. I also have a climber and a hang on if I want the stand.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The tree saddle is your lightest/most versatile option. You can use it in any tree, with the individual steps, from ground level as a sling chair, to however high. It’s generally (depending on make) your safety harness and climbing rig, and most can be worn on the walk in. A good, versatile pack will also let you carry steps, Turkey lounger, lock on, etc. I grew up with climbers, but saddles (and evening lock ons) with the right steps, are a tossup for speed and ease, with a little practice. They’re also generally far less weight and bulk, and far less picky about trees. That’s pretty important in the dark, if you don’t have a tree already picked out for your climber.....but a good pack that will be comfortable with all that, your general hunting stuff, water, food, and safety/oh [bleep] gear is a must on public land, for me. Rigged there, and you can get >1mi from the roads that chain 99% of the other hunters down. I’ve got buddies that hunt a lot of public land with game carts with fat tires, and just pull their gear in and can easily haul a deer back out without quartering in the woods. I know others into the E-bikes for all those reasons, too.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by eblake
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Doesn't really answer your question, but I hunt public land exclusively. I do not use a blind or stand, I still-hunt big timber with maybe a bit of spot and stalk thrown in. Make good use of available cover and concealment, manage motion so you're not so visible (deer seem to see motion much more than shape), and hunt into the wind.

+1

Why carry all that stuff and waste time finding the perfect tree?

Depends on where you hunt. As a public land hunter out west I had never seen a treestand in person before moving to the south. Now hunting public I'm in a stand 95% of the time. It's just a matter of adapting to what the land offers you. Different areas = different methods

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Great points made by all. Gives me lots to think about. Thanks

Good is not good when better is expected. ~ Thomas Fuller
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hunted public land in Missouri for about 20 yrs when I first started deer hunting and I always hunted from the ground. My tool of choice was a folding hand saw made by Gerber. I learned how to pick my spots and in short time would have a nice spot concealed by brush.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I just always liked to prepare to ground or tree hunt, as situation dictated, on public land. Clippers and hand saws are always in my kit. A good pack would even let you haul a small ground blind and chair, easily.

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I grew up hunting public land (national forest, national grassland and BLM land) in CO and WY. Never bothered trying to hide. Hunted mostly spot and stalk.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
The tree saddle is your lightest/most versatile option. You can use it in any tree, with the individual steps, from ground level as a sling chair, to however high. It’s generally (depending on make) your safety harness and climbing rig, and most can be worn on the walk in. A good, versatile pack will also let you carry steps, Turkey lounger, lock on, etc. I grew up with climbers, but saddles (and evening lock ons) with the right steps, are a tossup for speed and ease, with a little practice. They’re also generally far less weight and bulk, and far less picky about trees. That’s pretty important in the dark, if you don’t have a tree already picked out for your climber.....but a good pack that will be comfortable with all that, your general hunting stuff, water, food, and safety/oh [bleep] gear is a must on public land, for me. Rigged there, and you can get >1mi from the roads that chain 99% of the other hunters down. I’ve got buddies that hunt a lot of public land with game carts with fat tires, and just pull their gear in and can easily haul a deer back out without quartering in the woods. I know others into the E-bikes for all those reasons, too.

I used a tree saddle about 25 years with screw ins steps. (legal), although light ,quiet not very comfortable

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I lived across the street from public land in Michigan for a few years. I usually hid in my basement on opening day of gun season.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by ribka
I used a tree saddle about 25 years with screw ins steps. (legal), although light ,quiet not very comfortable

There’s so many versions and improvements on those things these days, I’m not sure how it’s possible to not find one that’s comfortable. ...and they’re all lighter and less bulky than a stand. wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Whiptail

I've hunted a bunch of public lands in Texas. All of the WMAs I've been on have blinds available for you to use but you can bring your own pop-up too.

Getting a permit is the toughest problem.

Doesn't Texas sound like fun.

LOL
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Whiptail

I've hunted a bunch of public lands in Texas. All of the WMAs I've been on have blinds available for you to use but you can bring your own pop-up too.

Getting a permit is the toughest problem.

Doesn't Texas sound like fun.

Depends on where in TX you are. I live in Amarillo and I have a big public hunting area just north of me that doesn't require any special permits and has a good mule deer population and lots of whitetails. I hunt it a few times a season and see almost nobody else there. No blinds and no feeders like most TX hunters want. You have to hike into the canyons and glass up your game and pack it out on your back. In other words it is just like the hunting I did when I grew up in CO.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
There's been too many people wounded and killed on the ground deer hunting public lands in the southeast, and based upon what I've seen, (and it's been a while since I've hunted public land) there are to many bubbas who shoot at anything that moves in the brush. The only instance of someone shot in a deer stand (that I recall) was long ago, on the Ft. Benning Reservation. Squirrel hunter shot a deer hunter in a tree, yep, as the newspaper quoted him, "I thought he was a squirrel." If I were you I'd take the lightest climbing stand you can haul, and haul it to the most remote spot (pick it out on the topo).

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
But the brushy areas are where you get the best sound shots

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,412 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,168
Posts18,484,544
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.