Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I’ve been hunting western Washington gin October and November for deep and elk for the last 20 years. Half of that with a blued M70 Classic. The polished blued finish actually stayed in great shape. I kept the metal waxed, the muzzle taped, and made sure the stock was properly sealed.

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by okie john
I used to hunt with blue/wood rifles in western Washington: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11623852/First_Elk

No more. I've gradually replaced all of my blue/wood rifles with stainless/synthetic and I'm not going back.

Okie John

I know Paul quite well. Glad you had a great hunt. He’s a great fishing guide too!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
Originally Posted by okie john
I used to hunt with blue/wood rifles in western Washington: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11623852/First_Elk

No more. I've gradually replaced all of my blue/wood rifles with stainless/synthetic and I'm not going back.

Okie John

I know Paul quite well. Glad you had a great hunt. He’s a great fishing guide too!

I'd hunt with him again in a heartbeat. Great crew he's got out there.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Left a blued 77 overnight in a trailer in Alabama one deer hunt. Bore was orange in the AM, far as I could see. Cleaned up fine, but that's on me not the blued steel.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
R28: Obviously you have never been in the Navy. Free paint and virtually free unlimited labor force.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dyna bore coat and Dyna gun coat work very well for the inside and outside. Midway carries it.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
Dyna bore coat and Dyna gun coat work very well for the inside and outside. Midway carries it.

This and then wax over it and the other precautions and no problems even in driving rains.

I wish I could get some type of clear lenses with diamond coat or some other water repellent finish for my rainy day scopes.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have no issue with blue steel. Stainless is easier to keep clean and blue will develop surface rust and show character marks more easily. But if it rusts enough to cause a problem it is due to neglect.

Wood stocks on the other hand I don't trust for hard hunts. I've seen wood go from perfect to useless in moments with nothing that could be done to prevent it. Good quality synthetics are simply stronger and more stable. They can be lighter, but not necessarily.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My son was shooting a M70 matt finish and I had a blued one. After 7 days of AK bush and 2 days in a gun case at home, his looked like a rusty pipe and mine had a little around a couple of screws. NOW all mine are stainless and blued or with ceracoat. No more problems.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tejano

This and then wax over it and the other precautions and no problems even in driving rains.

I wish I could get some type of clear lenses with diamond coat or some other water repellent finish for my rainy day scopes.

BC Blizzard caps with RainX applied should work great for that purpose.

PS. Don't appy RainX to your scope lenses. wink

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Have used a Remington 700 Classic in snowstorms, all day rain and everything in between when chasing Whitetail bucks in PA and NY for the last 40 years. Bluing looks as good as it did when new thanks to Breakfree CLP.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Tejano

Tejano, Going in a different direction, but give these a look. I've been using them for a few years now. They're waterproof, come off the lenses really slick and quiet and each end has a micro cloth built in. They have elastic keeper loops to hold them on but a wrap a 1/4" wide piece of velcro around the tube fore and aft of the turrets.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078G7WW76/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 07/15/20.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Wax them up with Renaissance wax pre season and go

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use blued steel on all my hunts, SS is for cooking dishes not guns. Its called maintenance and it is what you do to your rifle at the end of the day before you go to bed. Slackers!

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Sevens
Honestly sounds like wood stocks are more of a concern than the metal.

This. Metal is easy to protect because you can see most of it, and getting water on the part you can't see won't affect immediate performance. But a stock can swell and shift your POI several inches at 100 yards.

You won't know until you shoot and miss.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seems a fellow named Heimo Korth has used a blue/wood rifle in the ANWR for something like 40 years. And he gets a few caribou and moose every year. And it’s chambered in .22-250. The horror.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Actually most of the ANWR qualifies as desert, less than 10" a year. Not that I disagree with you in any way. Now if you use somebody that lives in Southeastern, that's a different kettle of fish.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is that. Plus, his rifle looks like it’s been through the ringer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used a lot of blued rifles on week long trips in the boonies. I always brought a long a small bottle of Remoil and cleaning patches. The rifles got wiped down every night. I did get rid of all wood stocks.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes.
I don't own a single stainless long gun. ALL my long arms are of carbon steel. Not really a problem.

In Idaho, when I used to guide and hunt there, it was common for me to be out 2-3 weeks at a time. I had to wipe and oil my rifle every days and sometimes 2-3 times a day, but my rifles all did fine.

When I was a Marine and later when I worked for DOD I would go to the field for weeks and months and we didn't have stainless -----anything. All my arms did ok, even in wet and hot places. Sure, you should take care of them, but it's not all that big a deal. ALL the "bad guys" has weapons of carbon steel too. I regret to say, their guns didn't rust into a state uselessness either.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

237 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 260Remguy, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 30 invisible), 2,182 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,115
Posts18,483,452
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.