Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hunt and Shoot, if I fill a 10mm case with AA#9 and fill a 40SW case with AA#9 or for those that care 12.5 grains vs 17 grains and put a 200 grain HC bullet on top of it do you think that the 300 fps difference is worth it?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by viking
Ha, back in the early days of the 40, they called It the 40 Short and Weak.

Still do.

Only the ignorant ones do. I best most 10mm factory loads in a 40. With room to spare.

The watered down FBI loads. Not real stuff like the original Norma and modern Underwood Ammo loadings.

Watered down, yes, but there it is. And the "real stuff" is in the tiny minority, while most stuff, as I said, is easily caught or beaten in a handloaded 40 with a 5" barrel. Not so "short and weak" compared to the 10, which was my point, since I am outdoing most guys firing a 10 most of the time.

What kind of ignorance compares factory loads in a long case with handloads in a short case? If you're already handloading, the S&W is the weaker of the two. Simple.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
For me my 10mm Glock is for keeping ugly critters off me in the brush, be it four legged or two, and maybe swatting something for the grill if it's about 60 yards or closer. If I were gonna pack a revolver for that I would likely use a 4" magnum .41 with a 220 gr. hardcast around 1200 - 1250 fps to keep it manageable. Sorta like the 220 gr. from the 10mm...

If/when Ruger makes a GP100 in 41 mag, I may be all over it.

Hopefully it's a six shooter.

Yes.

Don't think it's gonna happen.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Still do.

Only the ignorant ones do. I best most 10mm factory loads in a 40. With room to spare.

The watered down FBI loads. Not real stuff like the original Norma and modern Underwood Ammo loadings.

Watered down, yes, but there it is. And the "real stuff" is in the tiny minority, while most stuff, as I said, is easily caught or beaten in a handloaded 40 with a 5" barrel. Not so "short and weak" compared to the 10, which was my point, since I am outdoing most guys firing a 10 most of the time.

What kind of ignorance compares factory loads in a long case with handloads in a short case? If you're already handloading, the S&W is the weaker of the two. Simple.

I was stating facts. What kind of ignorance can't see the facts? Sure, if I am handloading the 10, I can stomp all over the 40. I didn't say that. Some [bleep] stated they still call the 40 short and weak. Yet I explained how it beats most 10mm factory ammo if loaded properly. We aren't arguing case capacities, moron, because that's a moronic argument. We are arguing whether the 40 is actually weak. Ask guys firing most 10mm factory ammo if their 10 is weak. Go ahead and declare it weak. It is.

You might try to use your brain before typing next time.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
my brain says full case of aa#9, and don't argue about stupid s-hit with those who cannot comprehend.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Still do.

INone of my 40's are built to handle 200gr. bullets at 1100 or 1200 or 1250 fps. If you've got that power out of a 40SW, I'd sell the recipe to one of the boutique ammo suppliers. I'm sure they'll be interested in your SAAMI spec cocktail, you'll both make some good $.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm

Still do.

INone of my 40's are built to handle 200gr. bullets at 1100 or 1200 or 1250 fps. If you've got that power out of a 40SW, I'd sell the recipe to one of the boutique ammo suppliers. I'm sure they'll be interested in your SAAMI spec cocktail, you'll both make some good $.

I can get 1100 with 200's without breaking a sweat. Just like most 10mm factory ammo. When you start talking 1200 or 1250, that's boutique ammo. I don't know why the major manufacturers load the 10 to such pathetic specs, but there it is.

I find it fuucking funny that you guys take this so personally that you can't seem to wrap your heads around it. Most 10 factory ammo specs are beaten in same size gun in handloaded 40 S&W, which is thus NOT weak.

Yeah, I'll keep pissing in your cheerios.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I find it fuucking funny that you guys take this so personally that you can't seem to wrap your heads around it. Most 10 factory ammo specs are beaten in same size gun in handloaded 40 S&W, which is thus NOT weak.

Your apples to oranges comparison isn’t pissing in anyone’s Cheerios it’s just false economy at best.

Yes hand loaded 40 ammo can equal and in some loads beat factory 10mm. But then again most people who handloads can easily make their 10 stomp all over your precious 40 loads.

Make an apples to apples comparison and you 40 is still short and weak in comparison

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm

Still do.

I can get 1100 with 200's without breaking a sweat. Just like most 10mm factory ammo. When you start talking 1200 or 1250, that's boutique ammo. I don't know why the major manufacturers load the 10 to such pathetic specs, but there it is.

You seem to think that 10mm shooters don't use full power 10mm loads. Think of it as .44 Mag - .44 Special, .357 Mag - .38 Special and 10mm - 10mm Lite and/or .40 S&W. In today's information age shooters are well aware of full power 10mm potential. And I'll agree, you are making an apples to oranges comparison.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I used to use a glock 20 so but I could never get complete reliability with it. I bought a XDM 10 when they first came out and it ran flawless. I then traded it for the threaded barrel xdm 10 with mos and a venom dot. It runs perfectly too but I miss the plain old xdm 10 4.5 and will get another.

I ended up selling the glock 20 but still have a kkm match barrel in 40 s&w for one i need to sell. I used to long load 40 brass to 10mm speeds with this barrel. It was awesome not chasing brass.

I also have a gp100 match champion that I haven't shot yet. Its still new in the box I guess I'm trying to decide if i really want it.

Bb

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the 40 vs 10 argument seems to be a case of mistaken identity. Fill both up with powder and the 10 case holds more, if anyone handloads one of them they can handload the other, if stuck with store bought there is probably not a big difference until you get to buffalo bore, or underwood etc. but again BB 40SW I think is 1000 fps with 200 grain. I often wonder if a .40 200 grain HC at 1000 fps, will shoot into a soft skinned animal about as much as a 200 grain hc at 1350. Whitworth must be on vacation, he might know the answer to a question like that.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jimmyp
the 40 vs 10 argument seems to be a case of mistaken identity. Fill both up with powder and the 10 case holds more, if anyone handloads one of them they can handload the other, if stuck with store bought there is probably not a big difference until you get to buffalo bore, or underwood etc. but again BB 40SW I think is 1000 fps with 200 grain. I often wonder if a .40 200 grain HC at 1000 fps, will shoot into a soft skinned animal about as much as a 200 grain hc at 1350. Whitworth must be on vacation, he might know the answer to a question like that.

The answer to your question is, as long as the faster bullet is up to the additional speed the f as ster bullet will penetrate deeper. The damage to lung tissue will be increased by the faster projectile.

A hard cast of around 20 brinel will stand 1400 FPS and penetrate very well

Just think 38 special VS 357 mag one is faster than the other and more effective

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
How did this thread get hi-jacked into the following discussion of the merits versus shortcomings of the 40 S&W ? .. The original post was a question for 10mm owners what their favorite platform was out of the box …. Geez , who jingled the shiny object ? crazy

Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I used to use a glock 20 so but I could never get complete reliability with it.

Bb

Wow really ? …. I don't think I've ever seen a Glock that didn't digest every load it was fed .

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Our family use the10mm, we have 4 Springfield XD's, 4 Glock mod 20's, 2 1911's a Dan Wesson razorback and a SIG. All have been reliable, despite being a 1911 guy my favorite has become the Springfield XD. Use the Underwood 140 JHP for 2 legged at 1600FPS and 220HC for 4 legged critters at 1250FPS.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Still do.

I was stating facts. What kind of ignorance can't see the facts? Sure, if I am handloading the 10, I can stomp all over the 40. I didn't say that. Some [bleep] stated they still call the 40 short and weak. Yet I explained how it beats most 10mm factory ammo if loaded properly. We aren't arguing case capacities, moron, because that's a moronic argument. We are arguing whether the 40 is actually weak. Ask guys firing most 10mm factory ammo if their 10 is weak. Go ahead and declare it weak. It is.

You might try to use your brain before typing next time.

Looks like a hit a sore spot. Hope you can get that fixed.

Yeah, I call most 10mm factory loads "10mm lite" too. 40 short&weak = 10mm lite. So what? Claiming that the 40 is just as powerful as the 10mm is just ignorant - or wishful thinking. Just like claiming the same regarding the 10mm and 41 mag (which no one has done in this thread). Using your "logic" in the argument doesn't change any of that. Facts are just meaningless facts when they don't prove anything.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think this is a good time to challenge all you 40s&w fans to tell those who are using 45 Colt that their pet revolvers aren't any better than a 45 acp, since, after all, factory 45 Colt is not so hot, and 45 acp +p loads from botique loaders are about the same.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
What we need are some videos of the difference in power as the calibers are used to pummel game.
Pummeling is the name of the game. The cavity made by the souped up projectile will be great in volume, wide in scope and long in depth.
The unsouped up projectiles will produce a cavity that is less in volume, narrow in width and short in penetration.
I bet the Illuminated One is making videos at this very moment to be introduced shortly to illustrate this very thing.
One good thing about the 10MM is it can use the HOT Remington 2 1/2 Magnum primer which will turn it into awesomeness personified.
But it will never be as great as the Miraculose Farce 9MM.
Get yourselves some greatness. Get a 9MM and arm yourselves with the Grizzly Bear load.
The 10MM will pale in comparison.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

The answer to your question is, as long as the faster bullet is up to the additional speed the f as ster bullet will penetrate deeper. The damage to lung tissue will be increased by the faster projectile.

Just think 38 special VS 357 mag one is faster than the other and more effective

I think the 38 special with round nose lead bullets left a lot to be desired. Here is the question modified, is 1000 fps and 200 grains hard cast fast enough to shoot deep enough into a large animal to penetrate organs needed for life? The answer might be, probably but its more probable at 1300 fps. Then the trade off becomes size of the gun, vs size of the anticipated target. For black bear a hard cast 9mm 147 grain most probably would make them stop what they were doing in a relatively short time if shot into the lung, heart area, for certain larger animals on average need faster heavier bullets. I think only a very rich moron would hunt big heavy animals with a 9mm, on the other hand a lazy suburbanite hiking in the smoky mountains might be fine with a small lightweight 40SW and hard cast bullets.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

I think the 38 special with round nose lead bullets left a lot to be desired. Here is the question modified, is 1000 fps and 200 grains hard cast fast enough to shoot deep enough into a large animal to penetrate organs needed for life? The answer might be, probably but its more probable at 1300 fps. Then the trade off becomes size of the gun, vs size of the anticipated target. For black bear a hard cast 9mm 147 grain most probably would make them stop what they were doing in a relatively short time if shot into the lung, heart area, for certain larger animals on average need faster heavier bullets. I think only a very rich moron would hunt big heavy animals with a 9mm, on the other hand a lazy suburbanite hiking in the smoky mountains might be fine with a small lightweight 40SW and hard cast bullets.

Pick any bullet in 38/357 and the 357 will be more effective because of the increased velociity

Since Phill Shoemaker killed as 900 pound grizzly with a 147 grain 9mm, the 40 should be more better

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good posts folks! The info on the 40 is welcomed btw, also a 10mm.

As to the 44 'caliber' comment........did you mean .429 wink

No doubt, Size matters in handguns, those Wide Meplat loads above are nasty looking. Will some Semi's run those, or are those strictly wheelgun compatible?

Thanks everyone! Good thread here!

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (16gage, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 2,905 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,754
Posts18,514,780
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.