Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BayouRover
I wonder if Jell-O will post about his experience?

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

My name is G W and I am a two time ladder looser. Fist 4 ft fall, broke my pelvis three places, crushed left wrist and broke bones around left eye. Second fall 5 ft and broke five bones in left hand. Now have arthur in left hand/wrist and pelvis. Difficult to use the left hand without severe pain. Not going for the three time looser award. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Clinging to a rain gutter like a spider monkey to no avail. Nowadays I avoid ladders whenever possible.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Reminds me that tomorrow I will be climbing a 40" ladder.
I need to buy a tree stand harness or rig one on my own shortly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by montanabadger
I am getting ready for rotator cuff surgery as we speak because of a dreaded ladder.

Just healed from a partially torn RT from the same.
PM me if you want to possibly avoid surgery or heal faster if you do.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

They’re lifesavers.
I was 18-20’ up an oak tree putting in a tree stand, about 10 years ago. Both feet were on wet screw in steps. It was raining lightly. My feet slipped and I fell backwards.
But I was wearing a harness and linesman belt. Instead of falling backward 20’, I fell 2-3’ and was slammed into that oak tree trunk. Knocked the wind out of me and scared me a lot. Also pretty sore a few days.
I’ll never get in a tree stand unless I’m on a lifeline from ground up and back down.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dale06

They’re lifesavers.
I was 18-20’ up an oak tree putting in a tree stand, about 10 years ago. Both feet were on wet screw in steps. It was raining lightly. My feet slipped and I fell backwards.
But I was wearing a harness and linesman belt. Instead of falling backward 20’, I fell 2-3’ and was slammed into that oak tree trunk. Knocked the wind out of me and scared me a lot. Also pretty sore a few days.
I’ll never get in a tree stand unless I’m on a lifeline from ground up and back down.

I appreciate that illustration Dale.

I'm a very high risk personality.
Came close to buying the farm too many times to remember.
I started writing down my near death experiences.just to quit forgetting and realized that I have to write at least two books. 😄 It'll be a series when I include my biography of my late Dad.

That said, my friends saw the scores of trees that I have to top and trim and told me of another bud who fell at that distance 18-20'. His attorny son checked insurance actuaries and said he was fortunate to break as many bones as he did. From that one fall he had an 80% chance of dying. If someone is on blood thinners too it just takes a bump on the head.

Reminds me of James 4

"Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away."

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Steve
...Hurts a lot more when you're 60 than when you're 16.

I had a reverse shoulder operation from a fall off a ladder and lost 75% of the use of my left arm and hand. It also re-broke a place in my back and made a small rotator tear that I'm living with.

BE CAREFUL, everyone.

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
When I first got out of the USARMY I spent a short time as a lineman, one of the guys I was working with was getting ready to climb a ladder, about 7 feet up the ladder slid and he grabbed the pole in a bear hug trying to break his fall. As he slid down the pole his shirt lifted up and he ended up with some horrible road rash on his chest and stomach.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by kelbro
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
I'm a retired electrician and spent 40 plus years on ladders of all shapes and sizes. After being on 6' ladders for a while and then using an 8', I hated it when I stepped off the 8', thinking I was still on a 6', and would step off 1 step too early! It's quite the jar and surprise! The stuff we used to do off ladders! Glad you're okay!

Same here. On commercial jobs we used to 'walk' our ladders running conduit rather than climb down and move it 10'. No spring chicken anymore but I bet I can still walk one!

"Walking" ladders drove our safety guy nuts! Lol!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
My favorite JeffO ladder vid.
The music ties in well with it.

Glad to hear the OP is GTG.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
[Linked Image from base.imgix.net]

Are we talking Image one, two or three?

Thats a good way to get hurt.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

I don’t mind 40” ladders, but I do dislike 40’ ladders
Be careful !

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

Three. Was leaning over a beam taking a measurement for a rafter I was cutting. Ladder came out from under me. Grabbed the beam, but that spun me and I landed on my upper back. About eight or so feet. Smacked my head pretty good, too.. Luckily it was just dirt I landed on. One of my best friends is in a wheel chair because of a fall. Went through my mind as I moved my legs to make sure they worked.

Dayom. That could have been bad. That may hurt a week or 2.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Three. Was leaning over a beam taking a measurement for a rafter I was cutting. Ladder came out from under me. Grabbed the beam, but that spun me and I landed on my upper back. About eight or so feet. Smacked my head pretty good, too.. Luckily it was just dirt I landed on. One of my best friends is in a wheel chair because of a fall. Went through my mind as I moved my legs to make sure they worked.

Dayom. That could have been bad. That may hurt a week or 2.

Into my second beer and third dose on advil. Feel better than I did this morning. Probably will get back on the horse tomorrow after work.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have too much to loose. I won’t climb in my treestand anymore without a harness. I won’t let my employees climb in dangerous situations either. I have had to fire one recently for stupid ladder placement. I warned him twice, even told him there are more ways to do things besides fast. I appreciated his drive but safety is paramount. I came up on a job and he had a platform on sawhorses with an extension ladder on top. I had him come down and fired him on the spot. I ripped his platform apart and pushed the 2000 dollar scaffolding on wheels I bought last year into the room. I looked at the other two employees and said if i see anything else like that again ill fire you too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ladders, scaffs, they can all KILL you if you don't pay attention.

I am a total bear when it comes to setting the feet of a ladder at the proper angle. Or roping off, or whatever. Come close a couple of times. The very worst was on a windyish day, I had some punchlist on a building facade, I was working by myself on the punchlist. So, I would guess 36 feet to the parapet. I'd just climbed to the work point at about 34 feet, braced myself in and was starting to tie off to a lead I'd dropped from the parapet, tied to an A/C unit.

FOOM comes the wind and away we gooooo, it was a huge gust. If I hadn't had the lead in my hands, I'd be dead or crippled. But I got moved over about four feet and the ladder foot disengaged, twisting the ladder so it wouldn't stand any more. So, very effing carefully, I tied the lead to the rungs like I meant it, then monkeyed down with my arms and legs wrapped around the rails. Only after I was a step off the ground did anyone else notice.

Aside from ladders, I've exited two roofs over 20 feet free fall, landed perfectly both times however I don't know how I did.

Needless to say, I always use the biggest effing ladder I can stuff into the work space and never climb it unless I'm happy. Same for roofs. Either cleat it or get me a safety line tied to a locomotive or something.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap

I don’t mind 40” ladders, but I do dislike 40’ ladders
Be careful !

👍

I'm stuck using hand saws above roof peak hight on top few rungs, so fatigue sets in and I can't depend on personal strength, alertness, balance, etc.
I got done watching tutorials on double harnesses. I have high rated webbing tape, carbiners for me and straps for ladder to tree tie-ons. Should be good as possible without helpers.
The shoulder tear seems healed now, so will pace and get my strength back a little each day. I don't have any more time to get injured.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Damn, HappyCamper, I love that one. Never heard it before I am not much of a bible scholar:

James 4:14, KJV: "Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away." ... Your life is like the morning fog--it's here a little while, then it's gone."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Damn, HappyCamper, I love that one. Never heard it before I am not much of a bible scholar:

James 4:14, KJV: "Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away." ... Your life is like the morning fog--it's here a little while, then it's gone."

The Word of God is powerful.

I reach out to nursing home patients and assisted living seniors mostly. I'm often reminded of these passages whether its a child or a senior. Life is valuable and it seems short in light of eternity. Most Young adults wouldn't bring up these conversations we are having because most haven't had these experiences and take a video game view like they just hit the reset button.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (7mm_Loco, 6MMWASP, 6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 9 invisible), 1,769 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,901
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.