-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I got these 28cal 160gr NPs from RMR a couple years ago. Just getting into them now as well as some 180gr 30cal NPs.

Noticed these pull marks. Not many overall. Only about 35pcs in an empty 1lb powder container almost full.

Would one expect any accuracy issues with these?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Except for the top center it almost looks by design...
Probably see some BC loss.
Load a string and see.
Given a 180 degree symmetrical spinning mass. I don't expect you will have an issue at moderate ranges.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Except for the top center it almost looks by design...
Probably see some BC loss.
Load a string and see.
Given a 180 degree symmetrical spinning mass. I don't expect you will have an issue at moderate ranges.

The bulk of the bullets have no issues and the other marked ones had the same mark to a lesser degree and only on one side.

It would only be for a 7x57 so a bit lower BC is moot.

Agree on the spinning mass thought.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have pulled some with side cut pliers and so far they have been shooting on target.

Usually it's the rear that if messed up that will cause them to suck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd not do competition bench rest shooting with those, but run of the mill hunting distances they should be fine.

1Minute
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If you have a good accurate load worked up with the ones without blemishes, use these bullets in that load and see how they shoot. Thats the only way you are going to know. If it were me, I'd use them in practice, if they shoot well. Practice your offhand and field position shooting skills with them. I probably wouldn't use them for hunting or competition, but then again I wouldn't use a partition in competition anyway... Shoot them and get back to us....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would use the ones with marks as part of developing a charge ladder or fir gathering velocity data. The small pull marks might affect accuracy to some extent, but won’t affect pressure or velocity.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 1minute
I'd not do competition bench rest shooting with those, but run of the mill hunting distances they should be fine.

Yep. +1.

I've shot a lot of 2nds and pulls, including a lot from RMR. I've yet to see that they are notably less accurate for basic hunting than factory 1sts of same make. Never had any weird fliers or anything. Never expected gilt-edged accuracy from them, either. I expect you'll see the same from those bullets. If you don't trust them though, it's pointless to use them for anything but paper.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That is exactly why I don't use a collet bullet puller. I'm certain they will fire but you'll never know how well till you fire them! A hammer type bullet puller without some though will mess up the tips! But it can be used so the bullet's don't get damaged at all.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Just as long as they haven't been dropped on a concrete floor.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Shoot 'em. I doubt you'll see any accuracy loss unless you're looking to set a new record at 800 yards. The base of the bullet is the steering end. Mangled noses have been tested so many times it shouldn't even be a question anymore.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by DonFischer
That is exactly why I don't use a collet bullet puller. I'm certain they will fire but you'll never know how well till you fire them! A hammer type bullet puller without some though will mess up the tips! But it can be used so the bullet's don't get damaged at all.

Your experience with collet and inertial pullers is exactly opposite mine. I'll admit I haven't had the need to pull any glued in and heavily crimped GI rounds, but as best I recall i have only had 2 bullets that were so tight that the collet puller damaged them, most hardly have a mark. Inertias on the other hand can cause core and jacket separation which you don't even notice.

HawkI, personally I'd run a test with the worst of those to see if there was a noticeable difference in accuracy, but I admit to being an incorrigible experimenter.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DonFischer
That is exactly why I don't use a collet bullet puller.

I've been using a Hornady collet puller for years and have had never had any issues whatsoever with it. Very seldom it leaves even a mark let alone a dent as shown in the OP. I used a hammer puller and an RCBS collet before buying the Hornady and the Hornady was the best of the bunch. Try it out sometime.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Same as Son of the Gael, I trust Collet pulled bullets more than inertia. For stubborn bullets I bump them with the seater before pulling and usually it is easier. I just got a Grip & Pull puller and I think this will be good for fewer marks if I can get consistent with using it. https://grip-n-pull.com/

I got tired of not having the right collet or miss placing them when I needed one. Also degreasing the bullets can help, some case lube can get on them and many bullets come from the factory lightly lubed or waxed. A shot of carb cleaner and a shop towel is all it takes.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just noticed the mark in the bearing surface of the bottom middle one.
That might cause more issue than the ogive marks. .

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 80 invisible), 2,765 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,694
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.