Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I don't think that Hi Nooner wants you to buy one............ He has a better plan..... laugh

btw - I bought two jeep Wranglers in the past 15 years. Both were pieces of junk with a hefty price tag.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In case someone wants to buy a loaded 21 Bronco and give it to me, I would take it in a heart beat. FYI.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Styling gives me unpleasant flashbacks to my '63 International Harvester Scout. Gawd what was I thinking when I bought that. Actually it wasn't that bad, other than gutless, top heavy, lousy mileage, noisier than a Maytag full of boulders and the amazing rear axles that snapped completely off allowing the wheel to merrily pass you as you skidded to a stop in a shower of sparks in your three wheeled vehicle.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Back in the day, we had the Scout, Land Cruiser, Datsun Patrol, CJ-5, and the Bronco to choose from. Then came the Blazer, but it was a different market, being a full size. And they soon moved the Scout and the Bronco to full sized truck platforms.

And then Ford tried to recapture the market with the Bronco II. But with an anemic engine and schiitty styling it failed to draw much of an audience.

With even Jeep looking to the upscale four door market, folks looking for a decent offroad vehicle were bereft. Toyota gave us the FJ Cruiser, and we rejoiced. But it went away a couple years ago.

I think this new Bronco will fill the void left by the loss of the FJ Cruiser, and will sell well. Personally, I would rather see a 4.0 to 4.5 liter NA V6 under the hood, coupled to a five speed overdrive manual tranny. But Ford seems to have gone all in on these damned small displacement boosted engines.

It is pretty common to drive an old iron V8 300,000 miles with nothing more than spark plugs. I am not convinced that will happen when you start pushing 2 to 2.5 hp per cubic inch.

Sure the little eco boost gets great mileage. But I can buy a lot of gas for the price of an engine replacement, not to mention lowered resale value. How much will people pay for a 200,000 mile vehicle, when they expect to buy a new engine within the next 20,000 miles?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What are you referring to by “old iron v8” ?

Certainly the newer generation of injected v8’s like the lq and ls motors will go for a lot of miles but the older injected and carbed motors are a far cry from modern boosted engines like the eco.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Originally Posted by FOsteology
[Linked Image from cimg6.ibsrv.net]

They HOPE it has some Toyo genes smile

If it did I’d be all over it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Not sure if I'll pull the trigger or not but I did put down $100 to reserve one in case I have to have it. I almost purchased a '71 Bronco as my first vehicle but couldn't quite afford it so this might just heal that old heartache..... wink

Guessing I'd add the Sasquatch Package w/ 35" tires and 2.7L Ecoboost. Had that engine in an F-150 and it had plenty of pep for my needs!

Link to the Ford Bronco - Badlands

[Linked Image from ford.com]
...................Not a bad looking 'lil rig. I little too boxy looking imo. Needs more free flowing curvatures........Fender flares are nice....Reminds me of my next vehicle; A Dodge Charger (for hav 'n some real fun and thrills) Hellcat "wide body."

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I’d like to see Toyota jump into the mix with a new version of the old FJ40/45 Land cruiser and the pick up version to compete with the Gladiator. It would have to be affordable, a serious off road capable rugged vehicle and not just some soccer mom lookalike though. also, four door.

[Linked Image from en.wikipedia.org]

[Linked Image from en.wikipedia.org]

https://www.bjmotors.biz/1974-toyota-landcruiser-fj40-fj40-c-13399.htm

Last edited by Dryfly24; 07/16/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the looks, but at first glance it looked like an International Scout.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by kennymauser; 07/16/20.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Certainly the newer generation of injected v8’s like the lq and ls motors will go for a lot of miles but the older injected and carbed motors are a far cry from modern boosted engines like the eco.

This is what I was wondering too. Never mind that the market segment that will drive a vehicle to 300k is minuscule, most folks trade at 150k or under.

I’ve owned every generation of Bronco except for the 87-91. The best engine in one we had was the 5.8 EFI in my wife’s 95. The rest of them wouldn’t hold a candle power, reliability, or economy wise to the 5.8 let alone the new Ecos.
The 79 I still own has the original 400 in it. It’s only needed 3 valve jobs, 2 heads, and one hone and rebuild with factory kit to cover 180k. But man alive it makes like 165hp and 310lbft of torque....

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like it but I'm not dropping the bucks for another toy in the garage!

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kevinJ
The vehicle is too small for a v8. If I’m not mistaken from what I read it’s basically the new ranger size. The small ecoboost makes sense in this, and is probably more than enough power. That little ecoboost will smoke the old v8 they put in them.

The 3.5 ecoboost would have been even better though

I think they look pretty good honestly. Beats the hell out of what Toyota did when they brought back the fj. If they ever come back out with a FJ that actually looks like the originals more and was truly off-road tough I would buy one instantly

If this Bronco would fit all 3 of my kids I would get the wife one. Doubt it will though. Like renegade said, I would wait a few years and let them work the bugs out first Always smart

Correct, while Ford hasn't come out and said Ranger from what I've read and watched, they do say based off mid-size truck, that tells you Ranger.

I know a guy that ordered one Monday the first couple hours after they were introduced. Ford only required a $100 down, and from what TFL Truck said, they limited them to 3,500 for the order.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just another toy for the 4x4 highway crowd to waste money on and drive the prices up. Definitely a vehicle for those who want attention and aren't afraid to pay to play. Anyone that takes a new vehicle off road has lost their dang mind or has more money than brains. Sensors and electronics is a recipe for a nice long walk back to civilization.

Life is good live it while you can.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by TheKid
Originally Posted by MadMooner

This is what I was wondering too. Never mind that the market segment that will drive a vehicle to 300k is minuscule, most folks trade at 150k or under.

I’ve owned every generation of Bronco except for the 87-91. The best engine in one we had was the 5.8 EFI in my wife’s 95. The rest of them wouldn’t hold a candle power, reliability, or economy wise to the 5.8 let alone the new Ecos.
The 79 I still own has the original 400 in it. It’s only needed 3 valve jobs, 2 heads, and one hone and rebuild with factory kit to cover 180k. But man alive it makes like 165hp and 310lbft of torque....

First off, half the population has never purchased a new vehicle. We buy the ones you toss aside at 150,000 to 200,000. We keep the prices up on those used ones, so you can afford to trade up to a new one. And we buy them because we expect them to make 300,000 without major expense.

My daily commute is pre Taco, 92 Toyota PU, Momma's grocery getter is an 05 Durango, and when I want to pull the RV or move 3 ton of hay, I fire up the 96 K2500.

Old Iron? The 2020 Chevy 6.0 and 2020 Chevy 4.3 both qualify in my mind, as does the Ram 5.7. I would much rather be driving them than any non diesel boosted motor. Hell, turbo troubles are the second best reason to avoid diesels in any noncommercial application.

As to that 79 Ford. Yes, that was a sorry time to purchase anything automotive. 72 through 90 should be erased from the pages of American automotive history, as a total embarrassment. CAFE was the ruination of a proud tradition.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Hudge
Originally Posted by kevinJ
The vehicle is too small for a v8. If I’m not mistaken from what I read it’s basically the new ranger size. The small ecoboost makes sense in this, and is probably more than enough power. That little ecoboost will smoke the old v8 they put in them.

The 3.5 ecoboost would have been even better though

I think they look pretty good honestly. Beats the hell out of what Toyota did when they brought back the fj. If they ever come back out with a FJ that actually looks like the originals more and was truly off-road tough I would buy one instantly

If this Bronco would fit all 3 of my kids I would get the wife one. Doubt it will though. Like renegade said, I would wait a few years and let them work the bugs out first Always smart

Correct, while Ford hasn't come out and said Ranger from what I've read and watched, they do say based off mid-size truck, that tells you Ranger.

I know a guy that ordered one Monday the first couple hours after they were introduced. Ford only required a $100 down, and from what TFL Truck said, they limited them to 3,500 for the order.

The ones they are limiting to 3500 are a certain loaded model with a bunch of off road and expensive features - can’t remember what they’re calling it off the top of my head.

And you can’t order anymore cause they’re all sold out already BTW.

Last edited by Dryfly24; 07/16/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I prefer the simplicity of more cubic inches over forced induction, but I've seen boost come out on top for performance. Had two fairly late model Accords, one with the "big" 3.5L V-6, the other with the turbo 2.0L. They were rated at almost the same horsepower but the turbo motor had so much more torque. You would have thought it was a 4.0-4.5L six, the way it pulled through the bottom and mid-range. Boost will do the job these days if you don't mind the extra moving parts.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually I see a 68 Bronco hiding under all the plastic! especially on the two door model.

[Linked Image from cdn.hiconsumption.com]

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’d much rather have that ‘68. I don’t need all the electronic gee-gaw BS they’re loading the new vehicles up with.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
If we’re including the LS and 5.7Hemi in the old iron V8 category then yes I agree that at least in the case of the GM they’re pretty simple and long lived. I was assuming by old iron you were referring to 60’s and 70’s V8s where 100k may as well have been 1,000,000

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Too rich for my blood.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (160user, 12344mag, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,481
Posts18,490,172
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.