Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

The other reason I got curious was more than one Campfire member has mentioned they have difficulty aiming with the 2-7x35 Fullfield II. I haven't have, and like them as well--but have to assume others have difficulty mounting the shorter 2-7x to match their aiming. This isn't because the 2-7x has less eye relief; in fact it has MORE eye-relief at 2x than the 3-9x at 3x, and the same eye relief at 7x as the the 3-9x at 9x--3.1 inches. (And yes, I have checked those numbers on my own scopes, and they're right on, unlike the eye-relied specs listed by some other scope manufacturers.)

So my best guess about why some shooters have difficulty aiming with the 2-7x is the 3-9x's SLIGHTLY longer mounting length. The ML of the 2-7x is 5.5"--with the difference at the front end of the scope, since its eyepiece/magnification ring's length is exactly the same length as on the 3-9x.

Good info JB, and you of course are one whose opinion I value and believe. I was one of those griping about the FFII 2x7...I bought one and to me the eye relief was SO bad I got rid of it immediately. Maybe shoulda tried extension mounts? ( Im no stranger to them...)

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Maybe! The ER is the same.

On the other hand, the smaller objective lens of the 2-7x35 reduces the exit pupil's diameter slightly on 7x, which also reduces the "eyebox" slightly.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
You got me on that one. I don't pay attention to things like that....

You knew what it was, maybe just not what it was called. Fair enough.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by RevMike
The distance between the beginning of the objective flare and the power ring. I think most schematics list it as "Length B" - I know Leupold does - but I can't find that number for this particular scope.

Mike,

I got curious about the "mounting length" of the 3-9x40 FFI when you mentioned, for more than one reason--but will go into more detail about that later. I just measured it on more than one 3-9x40 (and a 3-9x40 E1) and it's just about 5.75".

Had never measured it before, because have never had any difficulty mounting a 3-9x40 FFII on ANY rifle, and have had them on bolt-actions chambered for some pretty long cartridges, including the .300 Weatherby.

The other reason I got curious was more than one Campfire member has mentioned they have difficulty aiming with the 2-7x35 Fullfield II. I haven't have, and like them as well--but have to assume others have difficulty mounting the shorter 2-7x to match their aiming. This isn't because the 2-7x has less eye relief; in fact it has MORE eye-relief at 2x than the 3-9x at 3x, and the same eye relief at 7x as the the 3-9x at 9x--3.1 inches. (And yes, I have checked those numbers on my own scopes, and they're right on, unlike the eye-relied specs listed by some other scope manufacturers.)

So my best guess about why some shooters have difficulty aiming with the 2-7x is the 3-9x's SLIGHTLY longer mounting length. The ML of the 2-7x is 5.5"--with the difference at the front end of the scope, since its eyepiece/magnification ring's length is exactly the same length as on the 3-9x.

Thanks, John, that's what I was looking for. I'm thinking about removing a FFII 3-9x40 (30mm) with the German illuminated reticle that Ingwe likes and replacing it with either a regular FFII or the E1. It's on a Zastava M98, which has enough distance between the bridges that a number of newer scopes, with their longer bells and 4.5+/- mounting length, just won't cut it. Thanks again.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like Covid-induced tinkering to me, Parson. Put a cold towel on your forehead and lie down for a bit; it'll pass.

BTW, I mounted the fourth sight on my crossbow yesterday. Rings for the fifth are in the pipe.

Last edited by Pappy348; 07/20/20.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Could be! laugh

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Could I ask a favor of anyone who has an E1 and caliper? Can you give me the diameter of the power ring? I want to make sure my bolt handle will clear when mounted in low Weaver rings. I’m pretty sure the FFII is smaller since it’s also part of the eye piece, but I don’t want to buy an E1 if I need to use higher rings.

Thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RevMike
Could I ask a favor of anyone who has an E1 and caliper? Can you give me the diameter of the power ring? I want to make sure my bolt handle will clear when mounted in low Weaver rings. I’m pretty sure the FFII is smaller since it’s also part of the eye piece, but I don’t want to buy an E1 if I need to use higher rings.

Thanks

Rev I get 1.74”.

Last edited by AKduck; 07/30/20.

Yup.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Has anyone played with tracking on them at all?

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I've never had any problems with the eye box on the Burris FFII's that I have, although all of them are 3-9x so I can't comment on the 2-7x.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by AKduck

Rev I get 1.74”.

Thank you!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (160user, 22250rem, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,479
Posts18,490,020
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.