Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
We don't go to the moon now because there is no purpose in going there.

Back then we (a) wanted to show the world that we could beat the Russians and (b) do some science. The first purpose no longer exists and today it is cheaper and better to do science with unmanned robot spacecraft. In fact, the Apollo program was abruptly cancelled in the middle of it. Three great ships were already constructed when the program was scrapped, but the people no longer cared. You can go tour one of them at Cape Canaveral, lying on its belly like a dead whale. You can. I won't.

Apollo was the finest technical achievement of the American nation. 400,000 people, including me, had a part in it. We will never see its like again. I also predict, despite NASA's wishes to preserve 30,000 bureaucratic jobs, that we will never make a human landfall on Mars, for the same reasons.

After Apollo, NASA squandered its funds and reputation on the Shuttle, one of the worst designed engineering projects in history. It failed to meet any of its objectives. As it ended up, the only purpose of the Shuttle was to go to the ISS. The only purpose of the ISS was to provide a destination for the Shuttle.

Very little useful science has come from the ISS. 90% of everything we know about the universe has been discovered during my short lifetime, and none of it has come from the ISS.

What part did you play in the Apollo program?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house

A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
The dune buggy was a bit much...Kubrick should've known better.

He needed a more disciplined hand in the editing room.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Paul_M
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Here we go...

They exist and it boggles the mind. grin

I ran into one this spring! laugh
I went for a walk at a park and his dog came over to me and as I was petting the dog I got into a conversation with him and his friend.
Don't remember how we got on the subject but he informed me that the earth is flat and man has never left the earth so we have never been to the moon! shocked
Telling me how it was all filmed in a warehouse in Hollywood
As he was telling me this I could see his friend glancing at him grinning like, here he goes again.
His friend was trying to keep a straight face and I got the impression this was nothing new to him.
Both young guys about 20yo.
I walked away just amazed at the stupidity.

20 years old or so?

Well, that's good..................at least we know he didn't get indoctrinated with ANYTHING while he spent time in school.................................

or,

he was homeschooled!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rocky Raab,,,,Anyone,, What’s on the dark side of the moon?

Heard the Chinese have been there.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Beaver10
What’s on the dark side of the moon?

😎

An enormous silo, that holds all the cash David Gilmour has squeezed out of Boomers

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
The dune buggy was a bit much...Kubrick should've known better.

grin grin

Tarquin
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Rocky Raab,,,,Anyone,, What’s on the dark side of the moon?

Heard the Chinese have been there.

😎

You are correct Beav., they built tenements, 20 to a room, living in absolute filth and squalor..dining on bits and pieces of unspeakable protein sources.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Are you under the impression that nobody was employed to design, build, and manage the space program? Because Apollo used parts and services from every state in the US, and every cent was spent right here on Earth.
Yep, and that money has disappeared into the blackhole that most of the rest of our money disappeared into. I was raised on money earned by my father that worked in a rocket plant up in Utah after he spent 30 years in the USN. If we had spent our money moving rocks and fresh water we would be miles ahead. Instead we may have sent a ship to the moon and back along with a lot of other expensive boondoggles. Mr. Rocky, I understand we all like to think our life work important and I'm sure you were diligent and are proud of your service. I don't fault you for that. The scientific advances probably would have come anyway and as it was they came at huge cost. I'm sure the wars we involved ourselves in brought a lot of advancement also (atomic bomb for one) but look at the heartache and cost.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Buzz Aldrin said Tang sucks. I'm with Buzz. Tang does indeed suck.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 257_X_50, 28 invisible), 2,053 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,191
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.