Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a Mauser M3000 in 375H&H here for sale. It belonged to a friend's dad who died a while back, and my friend told me to tell folks about it, and maybe it will sell.. he's asking $1000.
It was stocked by Lee Baker of Carson City Nevada, has a Douglas XX barrel, a muzzle break and a set of Redfield rings and a 1 piece base. All work done by Lee back about 30 years ago. Very good shooter.
If you are interested let me know and I can send pictures.
Money would go to my friend directly in Minden Nevada, not to me and then shipping would be arraigned to your FFL between you and him. I would put you in touch directly.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well did you get one? To me they are like Wolf brand Chili "when is the last time you hunted with a 375? Well that's too long".

It is not unreasonable for deer, hogs or bear and it puts things down with authority. Shot a Bison a couple weeks ago and three steps and down it went. It really is the any game anywhere cartridge.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I really like my pre-64 375.
Like others stated similar trajectory as 30-06.
I prefer a fixed power scope on such or even iron sights.
I believe I have a M8-4x on mine with quick detachable mounts and have it sighted in for 100 yards with the iron sights.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by Tejano
Well did you get one? To me they are like Wolf brand Chili "when is the last time you hunted with a 375? Well that's too long".

It is not unreasonable for deer, hogs or bear and it puts things down with authority. Shot a Bison a couple weeks ago and three steps and down it went. It really is the any game anywhere cartridge.

Not yet. I did call and verify that the shop has a 70 SE in stock. They are out of the Alaskan. It would be nice to handle both rifles at once. I need another rifle like I need an extra big toe, but I can't seem to shake wanting a .375 off.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mountain_Buck
Originally Posted by Tejano

Not yet. I did call and verify that the shop has a 70 SE in stock. They are out of the Alaskan. It would be nice to handle both rifles at once. I need another rifle like I need an extra big toe, but I can't seem to shake wanting a .375 off.

Yep, sometimes you just gotta go kick some tires. This thread started and I pulled mine out, swapped on a NIB M8 4x long tube I’d been saving, zeroed it at 25 yards and loaded up some more 250 TTSXs. Need to get it out and zero it at distance now. It’s just a fun danged rifle.

Semper Fi
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Go with the feeling of buying the SE .375 H&H.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Ok..so this is what you guys have been waiting for. After an afternoon trip a brand new Safari Express will now live in my safe...It's a Portugal M70 and I must say it is nicely put together and the wood is pretty nice. Only gripe I could make is the screw heads for the rear sling stud and rear sight are slightly buggered from the factory but thats not worth getting excited about.

I bought one box of Federal blue box 270gr soft points. I need to now place that order for reloading goodies, but before I do I need to finalize scope and mounts. I'm fine with a VX3i 2.5-8 but what mounts? Should I go with the Talley steel quick releases like on Blacktailer's rifle?? And if I do should I get the throw lever rings or the ones that use the torx screw? If not those..how should I mount it? I know that scope has a rather short tube so will need a system that is somewhat forgiving to allow for eye relief.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I went with Warne Bases, that have two slots in the front base to allow some leeway with shorter tubed scopes. I then used Leupold Backcountry Low's 1" rings. If you look back at my post where the rifle is on the scale, you can kinda get an idea of the Warne bases and what they look like.

Congrats on the new rifle! Can't wait to hear you fire it off!

Last edited by beretzs; 07/20/20.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Talley qd mounts are good, I use them on one of my 375’s, I have a few including Flanged double.

As long as your have good length of pull your scope should be fine, I use one on a Mod 70 375.

Happy shooting and good luck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is a better pic of the Talleys with the 2.5-8. The reason that I went with the Talley QR's is because I have taken this rifle on a few trips and taken an extra scope along and they return to zero consistently.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Blacktailer; 07/20/20.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I went with the Talley set up and their screw lock rings. I dont plan on using the irons much and they look cleaner.

Also ordered 150 Norma cases and 100 270gr Hornady SPs and 100 Speer 270gr BTSP. Got a set of RCBS dies etc. to put everything together. Everything else I've got for the time being, I hope! I'd like to try some of the Speer 235gr bullets but haven't seen any in stock anywhere. I've got Varget, 4064, and 4350 on hand so one of those powders should do the trick. Things are about to get interesting!

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Congratulations on your fist .375...you will enjoy it...

I had a Ruger #1 from 1980 to 1990 which was my only hunting rifle. It would flatten a deer in place with little meat damage...

My load was the 270 grain Hornady SP with 82.0 grains of IMR 4350...clocked 2620 from the 24" barrel...and would shoot cloverleafs if you could hang onto it. Factory Remington 270 SPs were running 2690. It was topped with a 1.5-5 Leupold VERI-X III.

Ended up treading it for a Remington Model 700 Classic in .350 RM... Now have a custom Montana Rifle Company .350 RM that with the longer action allows 250s to be run at 2700 fps from a 22" barrel...which is about my only excuse for not owning a .375 at this point..

Bob

ps...if I was buying one today...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/872478777

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that if I was going to buy a 375 H&H to play with, or to scratch an itch, I'd probably buy a Vanguard2.

I have a Winchester 70 in 375 H&H that hasn't been shot in this Century and probably won't be until I sell it to its next owner.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I went with the Talley set up and their screw lock rings. I dont plan on using the irons much and they look cleaner.

Also ordered 150 Norma cases and 100 270gr Hornady SPs and 100 Speer 270gr BTSP. Got a set of RCBS dies etc. to put everything together. Everything else I've got for the time being, I hope! I'd like to try some of the Speer 235gr bullets but haven't seen any in stock anywhere. I've got Varget, 4064, and 4350 on hand so one of those powders should do the trick. Things are about to get interesting!

I've used Varget, 4064, and RL15 in my .375's. Given a choice, I'd start with RL15 first...

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
My Sako 375 H&H and a buck I killed in Pennsylvania around 25 years ago.......

Maybe this thread will prompt me to take it for a spin this fall.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
My Sako 375 H&H and a buck I killed in Pennsylvania around 25 years ago.......

Maybe this thread will prompt me to take it for a spin this fall.

If you don't wanna use it this fall just send it this way, I will put some blood on it for ya!!

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
This thread has morphed into something I didn't expect and in a good way. It makes me smile to see that it rekindled a fire in many of you to dig out rifles that have been laying silent as a result.

As for myself I am at a "crossroads" in my life. I will turn 36 here in a few months and at present I am a full time college student. Fortunately I planned accordingly as the writing was on the wall that my previous employer was headed down an irreversible path. Hopefully this new path will lead to a good place.

Just this past year I also lost access to substantial private acreage that was a hunting club. Greed and underhanded dealings clouded the judgement of those who ultimately owned it, and it is now being sold. So, I have no place to hunt and I think I am trying to fill that void by continuing to shoot and fool around with rifles as I have always done. This fall is not going to be the same, and will probably consist of hunting unfamiliar public land. I've not come to terms with it quite yet, but one must push onward and upward. What I do know is that taking several deer every year is going to be a whole lot harder now.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Mountain_Buck, There are lots of good options out there, I went with Leupold Quick Release base/rings. Primary scope a 3.5-10 CDS, back-up a Leupold 2.5-8 zero’d and ready to hunt ( was my primary for almost 25 years), and should bad luck really “shine down on me”.....iron sights!

While I’ve not experimented much....the Leupold returned to zero for me! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 07/20/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This thread has morphed into something I didn't expect and in a good way. It makes me smile to see that it rekindled a fire in many of you to dig out rifles that have been laying silent as a result.

As for myself I am at a "crossroads" in my life. I will turn 36 here in a few months and at present I am a full time college student. Fortunately I planned accordingly as the writing was on the wall that my previous employer was headed down an irreversible path. Hopefully this new path will lead to a good place.

Just this past year I also lost access to substantial private acreage that was a hunting club. Greed and underhanded dealings clouded the judgement of those who ultimately owned it, and it is now being sold. So, I have no place to hunt and I think I am trying to fill that void by continuing to shoot and fool around with rifles as I have always done. This fall is not going to be the same, and will probably consist of hunting unfamiliar public land. I've not come to terms with it quite yet, but one must push onward and upward. What I do know is that taking several deer every year is going to be a whole lot harder now.

Sounds like an opportunity to find a better spot, and shoot bigger bucks. Worst thing a hunter can do is get “comfortable” hunting the same area year after year.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Sorry to hear that about your hunting spot.; I lived there in Pa. from my birth til 1972.. When I left, hunting was still pretty much go do your thing but be careful.. The last time I hunted there probably 5 years or more ago, wow.. I may still have a couple spots I could access, but not worth the trip since the last camp I was involved with was sold.. You will enjoy that 375.. I plan to to take mine for whitetails here this fall.. Plus a couple others.. I would urge you to look at Paul Mathews book 60 Years with Rifles.. I had plans to meet with him but they never worked out.. Your area and that book go together like ham and eggs. Best of luck enjoy, let us know how things turn out.. I have some Horn. 375s loaded with their bullet for the .375 Win. bullets.. Quite a load...

Molon Labe
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (2500HD, 1badf350, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,941
Posts18,519,070
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.