-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have an 1885 in 45-90 that seems to be a very fine rifle.
There is a trick to getting the trigger "right". My brother had one he used to shoot at the Quigley. I'm not sure if that is where he got the method of getting that trigger so nice, but he did the magic on mine.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Kudu1
Can anyone help me find bases and rings for a B78

S&K has them; their gloss rings look great on my B-78; 257 Wby mag

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The DA has a crap load of them and 1885 in most calibers.

He has a 25-06 that i really like to shoot because it does a darn good job of being mostly a one hole rifle.

I have 2- 22-250,7mm,270 and and another 25-06 that has a really long barrel.

A Wyoming commemorative that has has some use.

Just shot it today and it too shows promise.

Some of them seem to be a tad heavier than what i thought they should.

They can shoot with the right load and the wood is fantastic.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I do have a Winchester 1885 in 17M2 that shoots nice.

They are made by the same company in Japan.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just to add my $.02 on these rifles:

I bought an 1885 High Wall Hunter from Cabelas on sale around the 2009 time frame. .325WSM, 28" octagon barrel, straight grip, good looking wood. It's a looker, but certainly no light weight. Though, the market place has not been kind to it, the .325WSM is still a dandy elk round.

I had a heckofa time mounting a scope to it. After trying a few options, I finally settled on Burris Pos-Align rings on Weaver bases, with the front base shimmed up to get it close to level with the rear base. I then used the offset plastic inserts in the Burris rings to bring the scope into final alignment with no stress on the tube. What a kludge, and it looks like hell. But it works.

Despite the scope mounting difficulties, the gun is a shooter. I didn't hand load back then, so I was limited to factory rounds. It's been a long time since I shot it, but I remember it putting 5 shots into less than 3/4" with 200gn factory loads. That ugly abortion of a scope mount made me lose interest in it. And, except to cannibalize it for its scope, it has sat in the back of the safe untouched ever since.

It is my understanding that there are specific scope mounts now available for these guns. Mounting the scope properly, and some handloads with this rifle could be a lot of fun . . . .

IC B2

W
WRC Offline
W
Conetrol Mounts in Texas has them in Matte or gloss. I have bought two sets, one for a 25-06 & a 7mm mag. Both have octagon barrels, but I am pretty sure they have them for round barrel. You will be very pleased. Know what scope you will use when you order as they will need to know what ring height.

I tried Talley and they finally decided they didn't have an answer, now that may have changed in the last 2 years. I spoke to Leupold technical support and they don't have them.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I’ve had one in 25-06 for 30 years. Shoots great does flow brass bad. Un/tunable trigger

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rickmenefee
Un/tunable trigger

Send the trigger Lee Shaver Gunsmithing. He will furnish you with instructions on removal so you don't have to send the gun.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Interesting thread. Never had a B78 from all the trigger problems associated with them I never will own one. They don't make them anymore gee I wonder why.. carry on..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
Originally Posted by Kudu1
Can anyone help me find bases and rings for a B78

S&K has them; their gloss rings look great on my B-78; 257 Wby mag

I have a Talley 1 piece base on my B78 and my Low Wall 22 hornet. I like them a lot.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Granted they had weird triggers with lots of creep but a fairly light let-off. Seriously, like a lot of things in life it's not something you can't get used to. I bounce around between a lot of rifles with wildly varying triggers, from double-set's and single-set's on vintage single shot target rifles to standard two-stage pulls on U.S. milsurps, and everything in between both light and hard. Not a one of them can't be managed, and I certainly wouldn't condemn any of them for their triggers not meeting a strict criteria.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The closest I’ve got to a Browning 78 is my 1885 45-90. I had a 280 in a Ruger #1 but sold it here on the Fire. Not sure why I did that.
I’m hoping for a Bison tag someday. I’d take that 45-90.

I always like the B-78. A friend brought one pronghorn hunting with us one year in 6mm Rem. If he would have mentioned that it was for sale, I would have come up with the money somehow!

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BC30cal
comerade;
Thanks for the reply sir, I appreciate it.

Indeed tattoos seem to be the place to spend money for many of the younger set.

While I can appreciate the art involved, when my kids asked me if I'd ever considered one and I replied, "No because if you ever have to disappear it's one more thing to worry about" is something they still bring up! As you can well imagine, having me as a father was "interesting" for our girls on many days I'm certain! wink

If you end up with a B78, I have a box full of parts for one, including an action actually, but the falling block part is damaged as I recall. Long story from another time and place with more parts that I inherited. Anyways should you need parts, give me a shout as I might have it?

My buddy and hunting partner who owned the .25-06 still talks about regretting selling it back then and it was really not a bad arm at all.

The only thing I didn't like about it as opposed to a No. 1 is that the falling block is narrower, so when one is reloading it, one can "thumb" the round in with a No. 1, but with the B78 one has to push the round home with a thinner digit, say your index finger as the thumb sorta doesn't fit well.

We both liked the fact it could be safely carried loaded with the hammer down, which made it a better horse hunting rifle in many ways than the No. 1 that I used for years.

Again I hope that made some sense and was useful sir.

Dwayne

All;
Good afternoon to all the folks interested in B78's out there, I hope that you're getting the weather you need this summer and that you and all who matter in your world are well.

Since this thread got resurrected I thought I'd add a couple of photos and the story behind "the box full of parts" that I mentioned to comerade.

Way back in the day a shooting mentor of mine - now gone as well - ended up with all the firearms when a neighbor of his who was somewhat of a gunsmith/gunmaker passed on. Part of what he got was a box full of B78 parts which included a cracked butt stock, the 26" octagon factory barrel in .22-250 with slightly buggered threads and most of the rest of the action and contents.

Here's one view of the action.

[Linked Image]

And another.

[Linked Image]

Missing from the box of parts was the hammer which apparently was never found, but otherwise I believe most of it's there, though the lever/trigger guard is broken and someone tried to weld it up unsuccessfully.

I should have taken a better photo of the front of the action because the threads aren't minty fresh on it. For the life of me I can't recall if the barrel was only loose or if it was blown off the front.

The fore end wood was too many pieces to salvage apparently.

Of course I suspect inquiring minds would be curious as to how this all took place and when buddy had asked the gunsmith about it, he said that his "best guess" was that he'd loaded a .250 round into it instead of a .22-250.

That's all I know, but other than being a mystery it's been a topic of conversation in my shop from time to time. Especially when someone comes in and proclaims that "you can't blow up a drop block single shot". wink

Honestly I wish I had photos of the blown up Husky that a buddy showed me, but he wasn't even keen on showing me, much less having photos taken. It held up better in some ways than the B78, but all we could salvage was the rear action screw and the safety as I recall. It was pretty much toast as well.

Thanks for looking and all the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My 78’ 6mm is one of my favorite rifles, looks, feels, shoots amazing. 👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have a 78 in .243, it has a Canjar set trigger and has a Talley one piece scope base
I'm not smart enough to figure out how to post a photo of it here

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

131 members (300s, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 257 mag, 35, 13 invisible), 1,532 guests, and 961 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,624
Posts18,474,071
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.