Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Worked with a gal whose brother was a State Trooper, he missed the DOG, dog survived, Trooper didn't.

I will not leave the road to miss an animal, but then I don't live in moose/elk country either, I will not brake hard to miss an animal unless it's deer sized or larger.........

Squirrels???? I don't do anything.............. hell THEY don't even know which way they are going to run!!!

There is something oddly satisfying when you straddle an armodillo and he jumps just in time to catch the rear axle on my truck.....

'...buzzards gotta eat, same as worms...'

Last edited by Muffin; 07/23/20.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
GB4

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll slow down and try to avoid an animal, but I'm not going to do anything that might cause me to lose control of the truck. If they would just stay still, I'd probably miss them all. If they decide to run...well, that is on them.

Harry
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A family in our church was driving in a rain storm. Driver swerved to miss a family of coons. One daughter dead and one paralized. I knew those two kids. This for a freaking coon.

Critter rule: Below the hood hit it. Above the hood try not to hit it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I try to avoid running over anything but poisonous snakes, armadillos and coyotes. But I'm not against running over horses, donkeys and dogs if their known trouble makers. At times I think my kids and wife kill more deer with vehicles than I have with guns.

Life is good live it while you can.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I am not swerving .

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
No swerving to miss any stupid animal on the road, although I might wreck a truck trying to hit a cat.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd love to hit a few squirrels. Not gonna swerve to hit'em but I never slow down and the damn things sure can move quick. Bigger stuff like raccoons and possum I'll slow down for but not swerve. Skunks are to be avoided at all costs of course. Don't do any extreme swerving for deer; mostly just a heavy application of brakes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CashisKing
So on any given day they'll be some Critter on the road that I need to either smack with the truck... or avoid.
F
Would you run down a possum?

How about a snake?

Coyote?

The above mentioned 3 I would hit them.
I try to avoid turtles, deer and dogs. Brake, try the move in to the other lane, but never swerved!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
How many dumb fuggs die each year trying to advoid the Geico squirrels in the road or other small creatures.
Trying to save their precious little life???
Wind up in a tree smashed the fugg up and dead.

All for a squirrel.....

Here lies Cpt Planet/ Mr or Mrs. Panicked Concern
Dead because of a tree rat.....
The lower mammalian order wins again and cant even realize it, except for these 2 in the clip.

Last edited by renegade50; 07/23/20.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by 22250rem
I'd love to hit a few squirrels. Not gonna swerve to hit'em but I never slow down and the damn things sure can move quick. Bigger stuff like raccoons and possum I'll slow down for but not swerve. Skunks are to be avoided at all costs of course. Don't do any extreme swerving for deer; mostly just a heavy application of brakes.

This.....

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by hookeye

I've stopped and turned on flashers, got out and ushered baby coons across the road.
Rescued turtles too,

Bad idea.

A distant relative of mine rear ended a woman who was stopped in the road and out of her car to move a turtle. He killed her one year old kid in the accident.

He’s a dumbass and I have no doubt he was probably texting or doing something else stupid but that doesn’t change the fact that the child is still dead.

Stopping in a road like that is just asking to get hit by some idiot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Turtles are about the only thing I stop for and then help 'em get across the road. About the only time they cross a road is when it's time to go lay eggs. It's weird how they go so far from the marshes where they live around here to lay eggs. I was reading about that once and it stated it's mother natures survival of the fittest thing where only the strongest hatchlings make it back to the marsh, unless they get run over. I've seen plenty of other folks stop and carry turtles across the road in the direction they were headed, even the little young ones.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Riding around with slumlord.
I have gotten out to move Timmy the box turtle many times.
" Hey man can you get out and move him off the road in the direction he is going"

Have found myself traffic permitting doing it since....

Geesh..........
LOL!!!@Slowmovingdumbass,zgetahand.com.....

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I try not to hit any animals w/my vehicles. Speed and surroundings determine how evasive I'll be. I once clunked 3-4 3/4 grown Canada Geese. I had a trailer with some lumber on, in a construction zone on the Interstate with at least a dozen cars behind me. Momma decided to move them from the center median to the E ditch as I approached @ 65-70MPH. I don't think I even tapped the brakes for them. I've moved to the shoulder for deer, horses, and cattle. @ dawn and dusk I try REALLY hard to give myself lots of room. Tailgaters @ those times irritate me to no end.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'll avoid hitting whatever, whenever I can. There are some fuucked up people in this world that just have to try to kill something for the sake of killing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll do what I can to avoid hitting anything but I won't wreck the car to do it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Keep the vehicle straight.

Apply brakes as vigorously as possible.

Do not swerve.........unless speeds are so slow that you could not possibly lose control.

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by CashisKing
So on any given day they'll be some Critter on the road that I need to either smack with the truck... or avoid.
F
Would you run down a possum?

How about a snake?

Coyote?

Or antifa a$$hole...

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Lots of different roads, vehicles and critters. Depends.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Swerving to hit something is as stupid as swerving to miss. I take no evasive action at all if it's a critter smaller than a deer and mobile. (You can never predict what they'll do, anyway.) Skunks are the exception, for obvious reasons - I will try to miss them if it doesn't mean huge swerving.

Deer or larger I'll brake straight ahead. Again, it is not possible to predict which way they'll go at the last moment anyway. I have hit two deer (both within a five-mile stretch one morning!) One I chose to dispatch humanely and the other one I could not find. How hard I brake is directly proportional to the size of the animal. I do NOT want a moose or elk coming through the windshield.

I taught both of my daughters the same strategy.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

311 members (14idaho, 16penny, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 48 invisible), 2,055 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,992
Posts18,481,107
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.