-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
sse, you REALLY need to consider changing that Win7 laptop to Linux. Not only will it run faster, cleaner, and be much more customizable, but it will use far fewer resources (RAM and disk space) AND be magnitudes more secure.

Depending on its resources, it may not run Win 10 at all. But it almost certainly will run many kinds of Linux perfectly. And for free.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Desktop, Wiindows 10 and Firefox.

Last edited by Scotty; 07/23/20.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Chrome box / chrome , adblock pro

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Samsung S20 driving as we speak.

5mph hauling a River Screen on a private road...

Last edited by SamOlson; 07/23/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lap Top /Chrome book, Kindle and desk top. One or the other usually works!

IC B2

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
sse, you REALLY need to consider changing that Win7 laptop to Linux. Not only will it run faster, cleaner, and be much more customizable, but it will use far fewer resources (RAM and disk space) AND be magnitudes more secure.

Depending on its resources, it may not run Win 10 at all. But it almost certainly will run many kinds of Linux perfectly. And for free.

Thanks, I'm sure you're right. Of course an old laptop will not run Win 10, figured I would need to upgrade. I'd be surprised if it could handle Linux, but what do i know...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Samsung tablet, Adblockplus browser.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sse

Thanks, I'm sure you're right. Of course an old laptop will not run Win 10, figured I would need to upgrade. I'd be surprised if it could handle Linux, but what do i know...

Rocky is correct!

There are many versions of Linux that are designed to be used on older hardware and are SUBSTANTIALLY FASTER than Windows 7 on the same computer.

It is even possible to leave the hard disk on your laptop alone, and to run Linux from a memory stick. This way, you can try several flavors of Linus to find one that works perfectly on your laptop, and which works the way you want.

Here is an article that gives you more info Five Best Linux Versions for OLD slow computers

If you are serious, post again on this thread so I (and others) will see it and can help you. I can walk you through making a USB memory stick from which you can boot up, then select Linux version for testing -- never touching your hard disk (until you decide to do so, if indeed you do).

If you want a reliable, smooth & fast computer for writing stuff, surfing the 'net, checking email, etc. all five of these Linux flavors will do.

I have set up Linux on old computers for several friends & families who were planning to buy a new computer. The only family that decided to go ahead and get a new computer was because a teenage son wanted to do some pretty demanding gaming. Even after a week, several of the others didn't even realize that they were using a Windows 7-like version of Linux until I told them -- zero to very little learning curve for some versions of Linux so don't let that scare you!

Your computer is "relatively new" if it came with Windows 7 and you have many options for such a laptop. Hopefully you have 4Gb of memory, but some versions of Linux will run with only 1Gb (Tahrpup 6 is the best one IMNSHO) Tarhpup 6 LINK

Cheers
John

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by sse

Rocky is correct!

There are many versions of Linux that are designed to be used on older hardware and are SUBSTANTIALLY FASTER than Windows 7 on the same computer.

It is even possible to leave the hard disk on your laptop alone, and to run Linux from a memory stick. This way, you can try several flavors of Linus to find one that works perfectly on your laptop, and which works the way you want.

Here is an article that gives you more info Five Best Linux Versions for OLD slow computers

If you are serious, post again on this thread so I (and others) will see it and can help you. I can walk you through making a USB memory stick from which you can boot up, then select Linux version for testing -- never touching your hard disk (until you decide to do so, if indeed you do).

If you want a reliable, smooth & fast computer for writing stuff, surfing the 'net, checking email, etc. all five of these Linux flavors will do.

I have set up Linux on old computers for several friends & families who were planning to buy a new computer. The only family that decided to go ahead and get a new computer was because a teenage son wanted to do some pretty demanding gaming. Even after a week, several of the others didn't even realize that they were using a Windows 7-like version of Linux until I told them -- zero to very little learning curve for some versions of Linux so don't let that scare you!

Your computer is "relatively new" if it came with Windows 7 and you have many options for such a laptop. Hopefully you have 4Gb of memory, but some versions of Linux will run with only 1Gb (Tahrpup 6 is the best one IMNSHO) Tarhpup 6 LINK

Cheers
John

thanks a bunch what am i getting into...LOL

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
sse, if you have at least 2GB of RAM and 20 GB of disk space, you can run the full Cinnamon version of Mint. Don't be confused; there are three versions of Mint, but the only difference is the quality of the "look and feel". Technically, Cinnamon requires the most power of your video/graphic system but you'd hardly ever notice any difference. If for some reason it did not run smoothly, you could always re-install with a "lower grade" version (MATE or XFCE).

If you have a free hour, here's about the best "show and tell" video on how to install Mint that I've found. If the screenshots you see look remarkably like what you're used to with Windows, that's because they are. Mint is not the deep end of the pool when it comes to the Linux learning curve. It's familiar, easy, and just flat works.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No phone that I browse on. But I primarily use this desktop running Linux Mint and Firefox.

Also run a laptop that dual boots Win 7 and Linux Zorin/ Firefox, a Chromebook I use for travel, and a combination car GPS and Android tablet, also running Firefox. I occasionally use Chromium for websites that Firefox doesn't render well (not this one), and of course the Chromebook runs Chrome. They all work just fine to view 24-Hour.

I've recently been testing various versions of Linux operating systems just for curiosity. Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Feren, Zorin, MX, Pop, Solus, Manjaro, Bohdi and Linux Lite all work just fine with 24H using Firefox, Chromium, Brave, Web, and Vivaldi browsers.

Any other questions?

Edit to add: Just remembered: That emergency Verizon smart phone does have Firefox. Works fine.

Gimme the skinny on the distros. For home i have defaulted to mint and for work we use rhel/centos.

As for platform...
Home
Ancient lenovo bus class thinkpad/linux mint/brave browser

Mobile
Ancient samsung note3/android/brave browser

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
sse, if you have at least 2GB of RAM and 20 GB of disk space, you can run the full Cinnamon version of Mint. Don't be confused; there are three versions of Mint, but the only difference is the quality of the "look and feel". Technically, Cinnamon requires the most power of your video/graphic system but you'd hardly ever notice any difference. If for some reason it did not run smoothly, you could always re-install with a "lower grade" version (MATE or XFCE).

If you have a free hour, here's about the best "show and tell" video on how to install Mint that I've found. If the screenshots you see look remarkably like what you're used to with Windows, that's because they are. Mint is not the deep end of the pool when it comes to the Linux learning curve. It's familiar, easy, and just flat works.

thanks to you and jpb...I will work this out and get back, does look promising

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
On the various Linux distros (for the newbie, a "distro" is a version of Linux. Short for a distribution.)

Mint: the closest to a Windows 7 look and feel. Very stable, very adaptable, clean but not spectacular looking. It just flat works out of the box. Best for most users, IMHO.

Ubuntu: possibly the widest in use, but not as intuitive in layout and function. It's the "engine" for many other distros, including Mint. Chrome OS-like layout.

Feren: Very clean looking, lots of browser choices built-in, also Wine included which allows you to run some Windows programs, Overall gorgeous and powerful. If I weren't running Mint, I'd choose Feren KDE.

MX: Very modern looking. Based on Debian (the other major engine besides Ubuntu). Not very intuitive or familiar to a Win user. Lots of installed programs.

Manjaro: Based on Arch, which is the deep end of the Linux pool. Probably good for hard-core gamers, but quite difficult to learn and requires a pretty powerful computer to run. (It would not even load on my test Win7 machine).

Pop: ditto the Manjaro comments. Not Win-like or intuitive at all. Good for gaming, maybe. Not for the newbie. Chrome OS-like layout.

Zorin: Very nice Win7 replacement. Comes with most apps you need. Clean look, but maybe a bit hard to navigate or find some settings. Good for a machine that runs Mint sluggishly. (I'm currently running this as a dual-boot on that Win7 laptop, where it works just fine.)

For really old/weak machine...

Linux Lite: Very Win 95 look. Not many included programs. Pretty basic, but usable. Partial Libre Office

Bodhi App Pack: Fast and lightweight. Has more included programs than basic Bodhi. uses the Moksha desktop, which is a bit different but attractive. Does not come with many needed programs like Libre Office.

Solus Budgie: Uses an independent engine, neither Ubuntu, Debian, or Arch. British-designed. Fast to load and use. Has Libre Office and most needed apps, but some from smaller developers.

NOTE: you can install any of these (one at a time) on a bootable 4GB or larger USB thumb drive and test drive them without changing your machine at all. Most things will function in that mode, although some changes may revert to default between uses. On a windows machine, download a small program called RUFUS which you use to make a bootable USB drive and install the Linus *.iso of your choice from your Downloads folder. Download the Linux ISOs of your choice, then RUFUS. Run RUFUS. Enjoy the Linux.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Macbook Pro with either Safari or Brave. Some sites don't play well with Safari, so I use Brave on some of those.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FTR, my ancient Lenovo laptop is a E531. I bought 4 of them for $150 total a few months back. Runs linux Mint with XFCE desktop just fine for browsing, office docs, playing movies on my HDTV, etc. Only gets bogged down during whole disk virus scans and when backing up/snap shots.

At work I hammer burly workstations and HPCs, but no need for that i the home.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just so folks will know how small a system will run Mint, what RAM and disk plus processor type do those cheap Lenovos have?

The Compaq Presario I bought for $65 has 4 GB/256 GB and a four-core processor, which was more than enough even though it's a decade old.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Loper
I use Tap=A-Talk to browse and respond on several other forums I'm a part of, but when I search for 24 Hour Campfire I didn't see it available. Are you all using a different app on your phone, just going directly to the site on your phone, or do you predominately use a laptop/desktop?

Laptop/desktop, Firefox for my browsing. I don't like trying to do web stuff on my phone, it's clunky at best.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Dell 7910 Desktop, Win 7, Explorer 11, AdBlocker+

Last edited by 1minute; 07/23/20.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh brother! Another candidate for Linux! IE-11, the chain link fence for virus mosquitoes, lol!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just so folks will know how small a system will run Mint, what RAM and disk plus processor type do those cheap Lenovos have?

The Compaq Presario I bought for $65 has 4 GB/256 GB and a four-core processor, which was more than enough even though it's a decade old.

Lenovo E531 Edge entry level business class laptop (business class = means lots built to that spec using same hardware, can get parts when they break)

Released 2012
CPU Intel i3, 2.4GHz, 2 cores
4GB RAM shared with the video card (3.4GB effective for other tasks).
About 225GB old spinny hard drive

Of the 4 machines I bought, I use one, my daughter uses another, my daughter fell asleep ON and broke the LCD screen of one, and I still have one spare. My son has the nice Lenovo, a T61 Thinkpad. Older (debuted 2007), but a higher-end lappy. Paid the princely sum of $50 for it before I got the deal on the other four.

My wife has had the nicest Lenovo, a T61 we bought when it was just off lease, so 2-3 years old (when we bought it for $3xx). It came loaded with Win7, but that became corrupt. She needs Windows, so I upgraded it to Win10. Before that she had (wait for it....) an off-lease IBM/Lenovo T420 with Win7. And befor ethat, another off-lease/refurb IBM/Lenovo of some sort.

If all you're doing is web, email, office docs, video, you don;t need a monster machine OR Windows.

Last edited by jfruser; 07/23/20.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
----Fred Rogers
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,562
Posts18,491,797
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.