Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I have.....

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Working cows with Dad, we'd get splattered with cow chit, swinging tails, etc.

Awww... Dad, we'd complain.

"Come on boys, it all bio-degradable. Besides, it's not dirty, it hasn't hit the ground"....

So, you see how I was raised.... blush

And the shrinks talk about "harsh potty training"...

That's just child's play compared to working cows with Dad...

DF

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Gents, this is what a real bull looks like;

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

A Hoss for sure.

He looks like a Santa Gertrudis.

But that would be more likely in TX or OK.

Up in your colder country, big red bull would more likely be a Limousin or such, but the ears aren't right,

This bull shows Brahman influence with droopy ears and some hump.

DF

Dirt, it's a droughmaster, from back in my old home land, sub tropical Australia !!

http://www.thecattlesite.com/breeds/beef/86/droughtmaster/

First I heard to those. Checked them out. With Shorthorn and Brahman being in the mix, that's a lot like the King Ranch, Gert formula, bred for similar reasons.

Beefmaster from CO is similar, just throw in a bit more Hereford for the blaze face and some spots.

Thanks,

DF

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Dairy farms in NE WI is where I learned how to use a shovel and a squeegee!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Dairy farms in NE WI is where I learned how to use a shovel and a squeegee!

Those dairy bulls can be the meanest of them all, IME.

Guess that's why a lot of dairymen AI.

Don't have to fool with crazy bulls and you get premier genetics with AI, don't have to own a mega dollar bull.

DF

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Those that underestimate the power of a bull are in for a world of chidt one day.

Holstein bulls are evil.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Those that underestimate the power of a bull are in for a world of chidt one day.

Holstein bulls are evil.

Jersey bulls are smaller, but make up with their lack of size with aggressive meanness.

DF

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Holstein bulls are evil.

Jersey bulls are smaller, but make up with their lack of size with aggressive meanness.

DF

Growing up I bottle raised MANY dairly bull calves from local dairies. Most were Holstein, occasionally there would be a Jersey. I never kept them until they were full grown but young Jersey bulls would get crazy. Holsteins would get froggy on occasion but nothing like the Jerseys....I'd never turn my back on them.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Good buddy has an organic dairy farm in the Algoma area in NE WI. He has a Holstein bull that is just huge! It makes a low rumbling noise that literally goes right through you! I don't think sheltering in my truck could protect me from it if it wanted me! My buddy keeps sayin, one of these days... one of these days... bull is going to end up at a Wendy's hamburger joint!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Big Daddy ran Gerts in the hill country. His bull got him and his horse one fine day. The horse did his best to protect Don. He ended up a month in the hospital from that wreck. Don rescued that horse from a hillbilly idiot that couldn’t catch him so he chased the horse around with a shotgun and bird shot.
The horse ended up ok, nothing broken but bruised. Long drive hoping my best friend will pull through.
In that bunch of cows there was one that was dangerous. She always had her head up, would sneak up behind you daylight or dark. Always thought we should push her and that bull across the road and hold hunts on the offspring. Probably a guaranteed charge in there after a few years.
She ended up as burger though. Don died of some heart thing in 2012 and I havnt been back.

Last edited by frank500; 07/28/20.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Good buddy has an organic dairy farm in the Algoma area in NE WI. He has a Holstein bull that is just huge! It makes a low rumbling noise that literally goes right through you! I don't think sheltering in my truck could protect me from it if it wanted me! My buddy keeps sayin, one of these days... one of these days... bull is going to end up at a Wendy's hamburger joint!

They all do sooner or later.

Or at the double arches...

Sesame seed bun, anyway.

DF

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I've never been around Jersey's. They don't sound very nice. lol

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by fester
Who’s been schidt on loading them?

Guacamole!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
A local businessman had some Beefmaster cows. A new calf was in the lot and this guy decided to check it out. Mama cow stomped him to death...

That's when a buninessman doesn't need to be in the cattle business.

A cajun cowboy, referring to an especially bad Red Brahman cow I had said, "That old huzzy will stomp a mud hole in your azz and walk it dry." I'd never heard it put quite like that, but it fit the situation and the cow. I'd be walking among my cows, suddenly having the realization that I had lost track of that old b___... Talk about a cold chill... Eventually turned her into a double arch berger... Life's too short as it is. She was a good cow, raised a good calf. But she wasn't THAT good... It was down to me or her. I'm still here.

My dad and a helper were out in the pasture, a Brahman cow had just had a calf. Of course, the calf was slow to suck (Brahman issue all to often)...So, they jumped out of the F-150, left the doors open, threw the calf in the bed, hoping the cow would follow them to the barn. Well, she did better than that. She got after the cowboy, who jumped into the cab of the truck. Well, that cow got up in the cab after him. He jumped out the other side, leaving the cow on her knees in the cab. I asked Dad later, what his plan was for that cow in the truck. His comment, she could drive that F-150 anywhere she pleased....

Cows can be dangerous, as well as bulls. Gotta respect them and give them plenty of room. Or at least you plenty of room to get out of their way.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 07/28/20.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I was walking to my bow stand in the dark one morning and had to cut across the cow pasture to get there. There was one mean bitch in the herd and sure enough she took after me. I was all bundled up due to the cold but somehow out ran her and leaped the fence. When I was laying there in the woods, trying to catch my breath, I thought for sure I was gonna die of a heart attack. lol

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I was walking to my bow stand in the dark one morning and had to cut across the cow pasture to get there. There was one mean bitch in the herd and sure enough she took after me. I was all bundled up due to the cold but somehow out ran her and leaped the fence. When I was laying there in the woods, trying to catch my breath, I thought for sure I was gonna die of a heart attack. lol

There was one old bitch of a Galloway that would actively hunt me when I had a bow stand in the timbered pasture that she patrolled. I always wanted to be there on the day when they hauled her off to the hamburger plant.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Good to hear from you again John, been visiting?

That bull is eight feet under, not anything we could do,

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (16gage, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 160user, 16penny, 52 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,493
Posts18,490,429
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.